Paris-Nice 2020 *Spoilers*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Jungels and Grossenhauser (sp? At bora) are now between the peloton of elites and Benoot, who is 25s ahead of the elites.
  • rick_chasey
    final climb - 4km to go. Benoot 35 secs ahead of the elite group which includes the leader.

Grossancher and Jungels I recon 20s behind by my watch.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,813
    1-2 coming up for Sunweb.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Benoot 25s over the top with a few seconds to go.

No idea if it will be enough to win the overall; I'm on mute.
  • blazing_saddles
    Mmmm what happened to the Maillot Jeune? Dropped chain?
  • rick_chasey
    Yellow jersey gets a mechnical right at the end on the decent! No idea if he's won it or not?!?!
  • rick_chasey
    Not a mechanical - he crashed!!
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,436
    Schachmann did an awesome job of not hurting himself and jumping back on there... some drifting action into the corner
  • blazing_saddles
    Still in the race lead, so he will be hoping tomorrow gets canned.
    No way he makes that final climb.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Really enjoyable race. Sunweb all over it. Hopefully, we get the mountains tomorrow.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    That could well have been the last race for a while - French federation has cancelled all races until further notice.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020
    gweeds said:

That could well have been the last race for a while - French federation has cancelled all races until further notice.

The French cycling federation has now clarified, that the decision to cancel all races on from now, does not affect the running of Paris Nice.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1238497673503793154

Meanwhile, the 3 km rule was applied in the end, by the way, everyone on from Matthews to Schachmann got the same time.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    So one stage to enjoy before it all goes off for a while.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    i thought the 3k rule was for if you were caught up in a crash. Schachmann crashed on his own so deserves to lose some time
  • Nibali could be the last of the old school. So cool
  • Got to Apt. Feeling better today !
  • blazing_saddles
    sherer said:

i thought the 3k rule was for if you were caught up in a crash. Schachmann crashed on his own so deserves to lose some time

But the person that causes a crash on a sprint stage also gets the same time.
    Numbers have nothing to do with it.
    That's the rule.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    But, from what I saw on my recording of the live stage, he slid out on a corner by himself, didn't take out anyone else, may have slightly impeded some riders trying to avoid. So...why?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Nothing to do with the race, but does anyone else with access to ITV's highlights find the "studio" set disturbing? Half floating in a CGI plywood flying saucer, half a disembodied David Millar floating through the peloton...
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    I totally agree re the ITV set - very disorienting at times. And why are they perched on those high seats?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    bm5 said:

I totally agree re the ITV set - very disorienting at times. And why are they perched on those high seats?

Got a great deal on eBay from a nineties boyband, obvs.
  • Nothing to do with the race, but does anyone else with access to ITV's highlights find the "studio" set disturbing? Half floating in a CGI plywood flying saucer, half a disembodied David Millar floating through the peloton...

I thought that. I think it's got Millars hand in it. Slightly The day today feel
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020
    The usual early start so that the can clear the decks for Wales v Scotland 6 Nations match. :(

92 riders at the roll out.
  • Seems to be better racing without Ineos.........don't get me wrong, I've nothing against the team, but is it.......?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Seems to be better racing without Ineos.........don't get me wrong, I've nothing against the team, but is it.......?

No. Paris-Nice is almost always a really good race and in recent years Sky/Ineos have been in the thick of it.

Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles

Seems to be better racing without Ineos.........don't get me wrong, I've nothing against the team, but is it.......?

Absolutely not: Teams are irrelevant to a good Paris-Nice.
    Wind is the relevant factor.
    The lumpy stages are consistently great.
    So, I suggest you search out the past few editions to watch while this season goes into hibernation.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

sherer said:

But the person that causes a crash on a sprint stage also gets the same time.
    Numbers have nothing to do with it.
    That's the rule.
    thanks.. i thought it was only if you were caught up, not just any crash that happens.
  • blazing_saddles
    De Gendt puts Alaphilippe back in his bobbing box and goes solo.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    edited March 2020
    If it didn't actually award points I'd be the first person to suggest that intermediate sprint was utterly pointless.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Nairo