Milan - San Remo and the Giro to be Cancelled?

124»

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    edited February 2020

Population of Europe 743 million. Number of cases so far 389. Number of deaths so far 13. So that’s 0.0000017 percent of the population of Europe that have died. You probably have more chance of winning the lottery jackpot than dying from this flu right now.

If there are only another 13 or fewer deaths in Europe (which is what your calculations imply), I am happy to change my signature to reflect your greatness.
  • I think its more about what could happen in the future as opposed to what's happening now.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    the percentage of people with the virus that die is not the whole story. Older people seem far more susceptible existing health issues not withstanding. Seems like a big outbreak would probably help the housing market get going and free up some equity for new bikes too. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

I expect general sporting carnage this year. much like the disruption and financial hardship caused by the foot and mouth in the uk a few years ago.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    david37 said:

the percentage of people with the virus that die is not the whole story. Older people seem far more susceptible existing health issues not withstanding. Seems like a big outbreak would probably help the housing market get going and free up some equity for new bikes too. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

I expect general sporting carnage this year. much like the disruption and financial hardship caused by the foot and mouth in the uk a few years ago.

Ooooh, your first paragraph is so dark but so true.

Interest rates are likely to be reduced too. There's another silver lining.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

david37 said:

But the inflation rate on (currently) cheap Chinese bike frames will skyrocket.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    If you're an Abu Dhabi turbo trainer salesman this is like ten Christmases.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    RichN95. said:

If you're an Abu Dhabi turbo trainer salesman this is like ten Christmases.

They should let them out as long as they promise not to stop for cake.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    mrfpb said:

david37 said:

But the inflation rate on (currently) cheap Chinese bike frames will skyrocket.
    but handmade will become relatively affordable. Steel adventure bike anyone?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Geneva Motor Show Cancelled!

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/28/business/geneva-car-show/index.html

God Bless you Little Virus!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Ah the Swiss. Any excuse for No Fun.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    It's just made the next 2 weeks of my life way easier.

Silver linings and that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    i have realised.. if I pop to Italy for the weekend, I can get the next two weeks off :D
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Yeah, a quick ski trip to northern Italy now looks VERY appealing !!!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Some good news. It seems that the Italian races will go ahead as planned.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/organisers-say-milan-san-remo-strade-bianche-and-tirreno-adriatico-are-going-ahead-as-planned-450683

Well, right up until they don't I suppose.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Awkward position for the teams to be in.
    Do we risk going v this could be an easy win if no one shows up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    The latest on the Giro. Vengi suggests that an alternative date is possible, but doesn't suggest what those dates might be.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coronavirus-vegni-suggests-an-alternative-date-for-giro-ditalia-is-possible/

He might want to consider ditching the Hungary stages and shortening the race, that be the case.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020
    As posted in the other thread, but since this one has the title.

The Giro's Hungarian stages bite the coronavirus dust.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/giro-ditalias-three-hungary-stages-have-been-cancelled-451548

Seems that is one call I kind of got right.
  • blazing_saddles
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    shame to see the race go, things MAY be different by then but who knows.

Very dumbed down article

"A Hungarian politician in charge of cycling called Révész Máriusz"

Why do they need to put the word called in there, surely just write his name and then quote from him, I would have worked that that was his name