prime rr-50se v Bontrager Aleous 5 comp

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited January 2020 in Road buying advice
looking at both these wheels as an upgrade. I know that the primes are full carbon and the bontraers are a carbon fairing, both having plaus and negative points. The Bontragers are also almost £200 dearer. Any views in which are the better wheel, and any oweners own experience of either wheel would be appreciated

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Not a fan of factory wheels personally due to availability of spares etc but at a tad over 400 quid those Primes look to be well worth a punt.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    So, the advantages of the bontragers are the alu brake tracks mean you can easily swap with your existing wheels without changing brake blocks, and they have aero spokes where the primes have plain round.

But yeah, it's a fair few quid extra.

Could also look at the Pro lite a42w wheels which are slightly shallower, but full alloy, and quite a lot cheaper.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    My wife has got the Prime wheels disc version on her bike and I've got rim brake Prime Black Edition on my TT bike. They're every bit as good as the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon sl ust i've got on my main bike. Wet weather braking on the Mavics is good, but haven't yet tried with the Prime wheels.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • shiznit76
    cheers for that. Are those the mavics with the exalth brake track? I wouldn't intend having the primes out in heavuy rain, only if get caught when out. Are they more suited to a TT bike rather than every day weekend rides etc?
  • StillGoing
    No full carbon Mavics. Depends on what wheel profile you want. The Prime wheels are fine on road or TT bikes as are the Mavics.
  • shiznit76
    Which do you prefer, mavics or the primes?
  • StillGoing
    Different uses. The Mavics are only 40mm profile, but they're light. They're also expensive at £1k plus. The Primes were cheap costing half the price of the Mavics. I run both tubeless so no difference there. If I were honest, there's little difference I can tell from usage and its more appearance.
  • shiznit76
    cheers thanks for info. just orderd the primes. Heard a lot of good feedback on the so here's hoping. Thanks again
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    for what it's worth, I've had a set of disc braked Prime RP-50's (I know, slightly different wheels) for 2.5 years, which are used 5 days a week in all weathers on London roads. I'm not exactly a racing snake at 85kg. Must have ridden well over 15,000 km on them. Only one spoke has gone pop in that time. I had the front nicked the other day, and have replaced with 60mm deep black editions from the same supplier. The bearings were starting to grind a bit, but they are easily replaceable, and I would have just replaced the bearings had the front wheel not been stolen.
  • shiznit76
    cheers thats good to know, Whats braking like in the wet?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    shiznit76 said:

cheers thats good to know, Whats braking like in the wet?

Discs, so fine, if noisy.