MIPS cycle helmets

Hi, I am in the market for a new helmet to replace my Giro Atmos. I have been looking into helmets with MIPS technology as they claim to offer greater protection in the event of a crash that puts rotational forces on the head. Specifically, I like the look of the Giro Savant 2018 model. The MIPS version is more expensive than the non-MIPS model.

Reviews I have seen online are a little mixed, partly due to legal restrictions on claims of greater safety and protection so I would be interested to hear if anyone has first hand experience of using a MIPS helmet and any views on whether it's worth the extra outlay for the MIPS version.

Thanks,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• I have used the exact helmet you mention for over a year. I bought it based on fit, I went for the Mips version as it was only an additional £10 cost over the regular version. I thought this was reasonable?

I am happy eith the helmet, thankfully I cannot comment on any additional benefits of the Mips version in a crash!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    It is something you will never know.Hopefully you will use your helmet for years to come and never test its intended purpose. If you do bash your head into something you will never know if the outcome would have been different with a different helmet.
    I have had first hand experience of a Giro MIPS helmet. I have been wearing it for over a year and I am pleased to say I have absolutely no idea if it was worth the cost.
    Buy the one that suits your wallet, stop thinking and ride your bike.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Giro's helmets pass CPSC and EU regulations. Of course, the scope of these is limited. On top of that, the (somewhat?) independent Virginia Tech crash often scores MIPS helmets better than non-MIPS. It seems plausible that MIPS helmet are a tad safer. Many (but not all!) helmet manufacturers have adopted MIPS or similar systems, although this may just be commercial checklist matching rather than safety-focused.

For £10, £20 extra, I'd go MIPS. Actually, I did this last summer. However, the helmet should fit and it should be properly positioned.

Having said that, may you never need it!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Thanks for the replies so far. Obviously I don't want to "field test" the MIPS system by landing on my head. I've only had one significant off in 11 years of regular riding and got off luckily with a glancing blow to the head on the tarmac rather than a full smash.

My LBS has the MIPS version for about 15 quid more than the regular model so I agree it can't hurt to stump up the extra cash.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • I have a MIPS helmet... it seems to do what a cycling cap would do, allow some limited movement with limited friction between your skull and the hard shell of the helmet... overall, it doesn't appear to be anything groundbreaking and I won't pay extra for MIPS next time I am on the lookout for a helmet
    left the forum March 2023
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    So, that went alright. I trotted along to the LBS intent on getting the Savant with MIPS and they had a Giro Aeon in my size for a little over 80 quid, so went for that instead. Fits well, right colour (red helmets make you go faster, obviously), very good price. Not MIPS but you can't have everything. Now, I hope I never need it....
  • good choice
    left the forum March 2023