1x electronic rear derailleur?

So, I got a bike with a 1x drivetrain that I'd like to upgrade to electronic shifting, but my research just goes around in circles without clear answers. Hopefully someone here can help me out!

My drivetrain is SRAM Force 1, 11-speed. This is on a 2016 bike, so it's fully mechanical with rim brakes. I want to keep the same 1X drivetrain and brakes, but upgrade to electronic shifting. I am considering both SRAM and Shimano Ultegra options. The Shimano route seems fairly straight forward since they only have one road derailleur with a clutch, but man, SRAM has a gazillion different derailleurs with very little explanation on each.

What are my options if I want to stick to SRAM?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    If you're sticking with rim brakes then the only way you can have Etap is to upgrade to a Red Etap 11 speed rear derailleur and right hand shifter.
    Of course this will mean you have mismatching shifters but dunno if that bother you or not.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    You can't do Etap with just the right shifter. The right shifter on Etap shofts up, the left shifts down.

What size cassette do you have? 11 speed Etap long cage only officially supports up to 32t as the largest cog. If you want to go much bigger, then it's a 12 speed upgrade using Force/Red AXS shifters, and X01/XX1 AXS mech, cassette and chain, which would give you 10-50t or 11-50t depending on the cassette.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

You can't do Etap with just the right shifter. The right shifter on Etap shofts up, the left shifts down.

What size cassette do you have? 11 speed Etap long cage only officially supports up to 32t as the largest cog. If you want to go much bigger, then it's a 12 speed upgrade using Force/Red AXS shifters, and X01/XX1 AXS mech, cassette and chain, which would give you 10-50t or 11-50t depending on the cassette.

Correct one shifters up the others down, both together is ring change on eTap11.
    I managed to get a 34t rear just about working but it didn't like picking it up so yes the MTB versions would be needed.

SRAM wise rear mech would need to be XX1 Eagle AXS rear derailleur with the current 12spd shifters and AXS cassette and chain and new freehub to take the XDR cassette
    Range 10t-50t

Shimano would need RD-RX817 11spd rear mech with any Di2 shifters, 11spd MTB cassette, a chain an no freehub change.
    Range 11-42t