Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Soggy Thursday nightride day.

Morning All. Soggy start again, work then play later at local trail centre in the dark. Today hopefully more constructive than last few days as on shutdown and parts ordered for a job starting to arrive. Hopefully a tad dryer laters.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
«1

Posts

  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 19,451
    Shoot sleep after dozing for most of yesterday.

    Today is the delights of Birmingham offices, later is probably more pub avoidance and making plans for the W.end
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,263
    Morning, raining here just as the roads were drying up nicely, need to go to b and q later the decorating awaits me
    Have a good day
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,168
    'ning

    Run and train to the office this morning. To "improve" things the train now runs 15 minutes earlier and it's 90 mins until the next one. Apparently this still counts an an hourly rush hour service and is an "improvement".

    Greggs had no pastries this morning - poor show.

    Early bail then gym later.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,044
    Morning, not currently raining but it had been all night so plenty of puddles.
    Began the tedious task of scraping the remaining paint from the carbon frame, managed to get a decent amount done thankfully it looks like (thick) single stage paint and a skim of top coat. No filler found yet but I'm expecting plenty.

    Anyway onward to pretending to be busy and annoying people.
  • billycoolbillycool Posts: 833
    Walked the dogs twice this week at 6am in relatively dry conditions and was just getting used to it. This morning it had returned to the bog-like status I'd been used to. Had to shower the pooches and wash dog coats.

    Night ride tonight, so expect more of the same. Bike is already filthy anyway.

    My ride motivation will be the slow cooker that awaits my return.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,251
    Felt rubbish when I woke up, so a *very* slow morning. Think my watch even tut-tutted at me for such laziness.

    Afternoon was not much better, but did at least get out and about for a few errands.

    First attempt at home-made ice-cream this evening, with fresh raspberries and blueberries. Winner!
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 45,480
    Waiting for a call from my tardy LBS to tell me I can pick my bike up this evening so I can get riding for the first time this decade. In the meantime sampling the joys of Tofu curry as they's run out of chicken curry. I'm turning into a hippy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,251
    Stevo_666 said:

    Waiting for a call from my tardy LBS to tell me I can pick my bike up this evening so I can get riding for the first time this decade. In the meantime sampling the joys of Tofu curry as they's run out of chicken curry. I'm turning into a hippy.

    Do you have some sandals wth SPD cleats?
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,934
    Headache today, unfortunately not from alcohol. Had a meeting yesterday and I wasn't immediately fired which is nice. Good celebratory baked Camembert to set my guts running so I have earned a good half hour of free money by using the toilet at work today. Supposed to be mountain biking later but I'll see how the head is, snow on the hills too.

    Anyone know how easy/costly it is to up the maximum load capacity of an old stone bridge from 40t to 44t plus by the way?
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 45,480

    Stevo_666 said:

    Waiting for a call from my tardy LBS to tell me I can pick my bike up this evening so I can get riding for the first time this decade. In the meantime sampling the joys of Tofu curry as they's run out of chicken curry. I'm turning into a hippy.

    Do you have some sandals wth SPD cleats?
    I have a strange yearning for a pair now you mention it WS...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 45,480
    haydenm said:


    Anyone know how easy/costly it is to up the maximum load capacity of an old stone bridge from 40t to 44t plus by the way?

    Fill the gap underneath with concrete?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,279
    Enlist the help of some internet trolls?
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 45,480
    orraloon said:

    Enlist the help of some internet trolls?

    Why do you think he's posting on here asking for help? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,934
    Stevo_666 said:

    haydenm said:


    Anyone know how easy/costly it is to up the maximum load capacity of an old stone bridge from 40t to 44t plus by the way?

    Fill the gap underneath with concrete?
    SEPA wont let us unfortunately. I have no qualms about demolishing a historic stone bridge but I don't want to pay £200k for a new one. Small in the grand scheme of things but still unwelcome. The current angle is to research axle loads and things to get some info from the bridge owner's engineers
  • Still blowing out more than my body weight in snot and I thought it was on its way out yesterday.

    Might look at a DIY holiday later if time permits, transfers will the biggest pain to organize.

    No idea why I put this in yesterdays thread, I think I've lost a day somewhere as earlier I was convinced tomorrow was Thursday.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,168
    haydenm said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    haydenm said:


    Anyone know how easy/costly it is to up the maximum load capacity of an old stone bridge from 40t to 44t plus by the way?

    Fill the gap underneath with concrete?
    SEPA wont let us unfortunately. I have no qualms about demolishing a historic stone bridge but I don't want to pay £200k for a new one. Small in the grand scheme of things but still unwelcome. The current angle is to research axle loads and things to get some info from the bridge owner's engineers
    Unless there's a simple solution 200k for a new one is probably cheaper.
    Can you hire a bailey bridge, maybe sling it over the top of the old one temporarily?
    Can you use a longer wagon so it straddles the bridge and you never get the full load on it?
    If it's an arch bridge the maximum axle load will probably be the problem rather than the total load, and the 40T is probably based on the axle load of a standard artic braking from a highish speed which I guess isn't the same situation you have so send the owner's engineer your axle loads to check.

  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 6,785
    Hire a chopper. Airlift the load from one side of the bridge to the other.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 45,480
    hopkinb said:

    Hire a chopper

    I suppose Pinno does live close enough by to help - whether he's for hire is a different question.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,117 Lives Here
  • pinnopinno Posts: 41,623
    billycool said:


    My ride motivation will be the slow cooker that awaits my return.

    That's no way to talk about your other half.

    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinnopinno Posts: 41,623
    I see Hoppy is back. Where tf haveyewbeen?

    The bridge conundrum: Drive half loads over. Cheaper than 200k, shurely?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 6,785
    pinno said:

    I see Hoppy is back. Where tf haveyewbeen?

    I was having a sulk, and running/cleaning/tittivating the house over Christmas while Mrs H³ recovered from her op.

    Sungod got me out of it with his tales of LP Grand Siécle on his fancy flight to go and tickle heffalumps and indulge in lux tenting. All is right with the world if SG is sipping premium champagne and heading to the sun.
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 6,785
    Where's the MF's? I'm champing at the bit to get the new caad13 in the top etap spec, and I need someone to say do it do it do it do it and put even deeper plastic wheels on it. Not had a new bike in 4.5 years. Must have done > 35,000 km on this one. Only the frame, bars and the brake calipers are original.
  • billycoolbillycool Posts: 833
    pinno said:

    billycool said:


    My ride motivation will be the slow cooker that awaits my return.

    That's no way to talk about your other half.

    She's been called far worse! :)
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,168
    hopkinb said:

    Where's the MF's? I'm champing at the bit to get the new caad13 in the top etap spec, and I need someone to say do it do it do it do it and put even deeper plastic wheels on it. Not had a new bike in 4.5 years. Must have done > 35,000 km on this one. Only the frame, bars and the brake calipers are original.

    Pray for @Matthewfalle
  • pinnopinno Posts: 41,623
    hopkinb said:

    ...get the new caad13 in the top etap spec...

    do it do it do it do it

    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,168

    Might look at a DIY holiday later if time permits, transfers will the biggest pain to organize.

    We couldn't find any transfers last time we went abroad and public transport was shut for the winter so ended up hiring a car because it was cheaper.
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 6,785
    I always just hire a car or take a taxi.

    Cheers Pinno. Going to order a 56 and 58, see which fits. I favour a smaller frame. More exciting, risk of it breaking under me.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 41,623
    hopkinb said:

    ....while Mrs H³...

    How is Mrs H³ anyhoo?


    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 19,451
    pinno said:

    hopkinb said:

    ....while Mrs H³...

    How is Mrs H³ anyhoo?


    She’s all good ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.