Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Tour & expedition

Coast and Castles Edinburgh to Tynemouth advice and updates.

Folks looked on here and elsewhere and doesn't seem to be much up-to-date info on this ride, mostly 2 plus yrs old. Doing it in May as a steady 4 day lads on tour, pixx up get away from OH,s etc. Looking at Holy island as tides look favourable. How bad are the rougher sections and how hilly, as various conflicting reports. Suspect it's no hillier than C2C Morcambe to Bridlington. The off road buts I'm guessing will be hard packed tracks as its a sustrans route. Advice welcomed. Will update when we do it.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• mrb123mrb123 Posts: 3,395
    It's not particularly hilly as you say.

Trickiest off road section is probably the bit South of Berwick. It's a grassy section with some ruts which can be muddy. I managed it on 32mm touring tyres but wouldn't have wanted much less.

There's a good map of the route available from Sustrans if you haven't already got it.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,642
    Cheers for that info. I'm on my tourer with 28,s but most of group will be on carbon bikes running 25,s. Will possibly look at slight detour for off-road bit.
    Long awaited update. Covid did for coast and castles 2020 and 2021 so did Tour of Northumberland instead. 270miles lots of beer over 5 days will post a mini blog shortly. Did get upset we couldn't travel up to Edinburgh and ride down this year, but met plenty of jocks doing Newcastle to Edinburgh enroute.
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 15,628
    Did you manage to fight the urge to punch some of your fellow travellers?
    We did manage to control the urge. 3 hrs in 20mph headwinds and soaked through is not the best time to get arsey especially when 4 miles from the end of the ride and we'd dragged him nearly 60 miles. Retribution on last day was had though, he failed to unclip in front of us and a load of other cyclists. Much laughter was had.