Upgrade for mechanical disc brakes

Hello,

I am the owner of a Triban 150 RC disc and I find the mechanical disc brakes very weak (pressing rear brake at full force does not lock the wheel) . The brakes model is PROMAX DSK-300R. I ride mostly on flat or hills so I don't do long descents but I want to be able to brake quickly when riding in the city.

Since it is a cheap bike I am looking for an inexpensive upgrade to the brakes that offers good braking power.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You need to learn how to adjust the brakes - in addition to the cable tension, the static brake pad on the other side of the caliper will need to be wound in as the pads wear.

There might be a plastic dial/knob to twist, or you might need an Allen key.

I'd suggest looking on YouTube for videos on adjusting mechanical (cable) brakes eg avid bb5, same principle should apply.

If you want to replace them, best options are trp spyres or hyrds, or the giant conduct system.
  • alxb
    alxb Posts: 15
    Thank you for the advice timothyw!

Trp spyre is an interesting option.

I was wondering if the cause could be the lack of proper brake bedding in? The bike is new, it has about 350km and I did not do any specific bedding in, only normal braking.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Being unable to lock the rear wheel at full force shows it to be a problem of set up/adjustment rather than bedding in.

I've never felt any need to bed in my brakes, although they certainly do work a bit better after a few hard braking efforts.
  • delv4
    delv4 Posts: 28
    These are great hydro calipers operated by cable
    https://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/juin-tech/road-cx.html