Who is the (Men's) Rider of the Decade?

13»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,155

I suspect a decent majority of Froome wins have been in France too, though happy to be proven wrong.

46%. But the biggest race in the world and its warm up act are in France.

Nibali has started the Giro as often as he has started the Tour - typical for an Italian stage racer but virtually unheard of for a non-Italian. In the past decade he has ridden Tirreno nine times (won twice). The other six WT week long races he has done six times between them (best finish 5th). He's like one of those boxers who builds up a long unbeaten record and a version of the World Championship by rarely leaving his shores and avoiding the other title holders.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Apart from, y’know, winning the two biggest races outside of Italy...
  • RichN95.
    edited December 2019

Apart from, y’know, winning the two biggest races outside of Italy...

Against Peraud, Mosquera and Velits. They say you can beat in front of you, and Nibali's good at picking what's in front of him.

2014 would have been interesting. He was on top form and Contador & Froome's tussles in the Dauphine & Vuelta showed what we missed out on. Instead (to continue the boxing comparison) we got Nibali beating up an ageing journeyman with a losing record.

Don't get me too wrong here though. I think there are five current riders (male) I think would be automatic inclusions in a Cycling Hall of Fame and Nibali's one of them.
  • rick_chasey
    Froome and Contador both started didn’t they?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95. said:

Don't get me too wrong here though. I think there are five current riders (male) I think would be automatic inclusions in a Cycling Hall of Fame and Nibali's one of them.

I'll guess you're looking at:

Froome
    Nibali
    Sagan
    Gilbert
    Cavendish
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616

RichN95. said:

Froome
    Nibali
    Sagan
    Gilbert
    Cavendish
    Valverde?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    mrb123 said:

RichN95. said:

Froome
    Nibali
    Sagan
    Gilbert
    Cavendish
    Valverde?
    I probably would include him, I was having a punt on RichN95's list
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.

mrb123 said:

RichN95. said:

Froome
    Nibali
    Sagan
    Gilbert
    Cavendish
    Valverde?
    I probably would include him, I was having a punt on RichN95's list

Very astute by both of you. I originally wrote six, but then decided Valverde's history would stop automatic inclusion
  • rick_chasey
    Cancellara too, surely.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621

Cancellara too, surely.

Current riders
  • rick_chasey
    Ah. Helps if I read.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Froome.
    All the reasons no ta Doc mentioned.
    Nibali couldn’t beat Contador at his best and Contador couldn’t beat Froome at his best.
    We may not like certain aspects of GTs compared to one dayers, but I think we forget that they were created (commercial interests aside - in sporting terms only) and have evolved as the ultimate test to ascertain the best cyclist in 3 weeks of one day races.
    In form, Froome is (was?) the best climber in the world and TTs with the best. While his record speaks for itself, he has addressed all the areas of his craft that were deemed lacking (downhilling, positioning in bunch, bike handling, tactical astuteness, etc) to become a complete rider. Best of all - or worst, if you’re a Froome hater - is that his best rides are now some of the most panachey in the last 50 years.
  • rick_chasey
    I think the debate for the podium is more interesting
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327

I think the debate for the podium is more interesting

2nd step is definitely Sagan.
    3 rainbow stripes, 2 monuments plus 3 2nds and 10 more top finishes, 7 green jerseys, 12 TdF stages and a bunch of minor classics. 113 wins at WT/HC/1
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2019
    See I disagree - I wouldn’t even have him on the podium.

Nibali has more monuments and what he’s missing in WCs he more than makes up in GTs.
  • rick_chasey
    Will freely admit Nibali regularly excites me when he races. Sagan doesn’t really.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    3 rainbow stripes -in a row- puts him in joint 4th place of all time, alongside Merckx.

7 Green jerseys is out all by himself, one ahead of Zabel and three ahead of Kelly.

And while Nibali has 3 monuments to Sagan's 2, Sagan has won both the ones anyone cares about ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    The list of riders who have won all 3 GTs is also pretty elite.