Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Thursday and soggy bottoms again.

Morning All. What can I say. Wet, soggy and dark. Nightride planned later and a few beers with mates possibly. Enjoy the wetness all.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,046
    Meh, offices far away means a dark muddy walk in the woods with the hound

Later is CrossFit if the traffic gods play nice
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,586
    Doesn't look too wet here, famous last words I'm sure.

Drum fit later if the traffic gods play nice.
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, wet here yet again, dog walked , probably the rollers later on, she wants me to decorate the room before the trimmings go up, I am now thinking of ways to get out of it any ideas?
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,774
    'ning

coffee, get mince pie fix, webex or two, maybe tweak things in lab, early bail
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,953
    Slightly less soggy than yesterday so a day of spanish workmaning beckons, probably involving leaves, a lot.

Morning, wet here yet again, dog walked , probably the rollers later on, she wants me to decorate the room before the trimmings go up, I am now thinking of ways to get out of it any ideas?

All the pins/blu tak will damage the new stuff so best to leave it until after they come down.
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Aye soggy again. Roads and an extra bit from the sky too. I don't think my bike shoes have been properly dry for weeks. Cheering myself up with a pastry and a coffee while trying write policies.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,652 Lives Here
    Morning folks,
    Managed to escape the Midlands yesterday and was only a little late arriving at the pub. Now seem to be in possession of the traditional mild hangover, this is being remedied by a cup of tea and some biscuits.
    I now need to catch up with the rubbish left after being out for the day yesterday, deep joy. Will need coffee soon.
    Good thinking Thistle, I like your style.
    Onwards and upwards...
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,957
    Struggling mentally at the moment - today a particular low. Off to a National Theatre Live recording tonight though - should occupy the mind for an hour or so.

New wheels are in transit...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • Think happy thoughts Ben!

Late start due to a birthday meal last night, site meeting later followed by an early night.

I sometimes wish I had a job where a five hour train journey was classed as work, that way I might be able to do something productive whilst sat in seat without a phone.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • LongshotLongshot Posts: 935

I sometimes wish I had a job where a five hour train journey was classed as work, that way I might be able to do something productive whilst sat in seat without a phone.

Is this journey "your choice" as such or is it due to an unusual work journey to a meeting or contract or whatever? If the latter, that's ridiculous. I've had this before here I've been asked to attend meetings half way across the country or even abroad and the journey is treated as your normal commute would be (albeit they pay the cost).

You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Nothing as complicated as that, I own the company so being sat in peace for a few hours would give me a break from the land line.
    If I ever have to travel afar then I just make it worthwhile, my glamorous assistant (mrsHD) comes along and we have a few extra days in a decent hotel.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • longshot said:

Is this journey "your choice" as such or is it due to an unusual work journey to a meeting or contract or whatever? If the latter, that's ridiculous. I've had this before here I've been asked to attend meetings half way across the country or even abroad and the journey is treated as your normal commute would be (albeit they pay the cost).

Did a long project way back when I worked for a large firm, which involved *extensive* travel overseas, which was always done on my Sunday evening leaving town and returning on overnight flights Friday night. When the whole thing finished and there was some office down time, I suggested to the boss he might just call me if there was anything specific I needed to come in for, else I was just going to goof off for a while as I felt like it.

He protested for 5 minutes, until I gave him the detailed workings of how much of my time he'd had for free. Gave him the option of paying me an additional 10.5 weeks salary - which was the equivalent amount of time I'd spent in airports and on planes - or just shutting up and stop whingeing.

Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,779
    tlw1 said:

Later is CrossFit

Is that a euphemism for a moody but attractive OH?

Bit quieter in the office today so am catching up with a few things while hoping I don't get any random idiotic questions. Ride in was soggy and the way book looks to be similarly censored .

However have a free lunch with a recruitment bod later for putting some business his way.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • LongshotLongshot Posts: 935

longshot said:

Did a long project way back when I worked for a large firm, which involved *extensive* travel overseas, which was always done on my Sunday evening leaving town and returning on overnight flights Friday night. When the whole thing finished and there was some office down time, I suggested to the boss he might just call me if there was anything specific I needed to come in for, else I was just going to goof off for a while as I felt like it.

He protested for 5 minutes, until I gave him the detailed workings of how much of my time he'd had for free. Gave him the option of paying me an additional 10.5 weeks salary - which was the equivalent amount of time I'd spent in airports and on planes - or just shutting up and stop whingeing.

Nice. Well done you!
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,705
    ben6899 said:

Struggling mentally at the moment - today a particular low.

It must be int he water.

It's dull, soggy and dark early.
    The world is either on fire or flooding.
    There's f*ck all I can do about Brexit.
    ...and I have a paper trail as long as my arm to get on with.
    Maybe we can get a therapy on a group basis cheap.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,441

All the pins/blu tak will damage the new stuff so best to leave it until after they come down.
    It’s all gone tits up she cannot decide what colour to paint the walls, so the new year it will be
    Thanks for the excuse thistle I can use it in the future
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    ben6899 said:

Struggling mentally at the moment - today a particular low. Off to a National Theatre Live recording tonight though - should occupy the mind for an hour or so.

Sorry to hear that ben6899. It's a crappy time of year, with the darkness and the enforced jollity. Take care. Don't stop riding your bike. That helps me enormously.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,652 Lives Here
    pinno said:

ben6899 said:

Struggling mentally at the moment - today a particular low.

It must be in the water.
    It's dull, soggy and dark early.
    The world is either on fire or flooding.
    ...and I have a paper trail as long as my arm to get on with.
    Maybe we can get a therapy on a group basis cheap.
    Sympathise and agree with all that, work is being a pain in the backside as well so my thoughts are turning a little bit murderous. Nearly didn't go to the pub last night but going out and talking bollox over a beer definitely helped.
    I'll try and send out happy vibes rather than murderous ones to forumites, well most of them at any rate.
    pinno said:

<

You could tell some Cake Stoppers to stop whingeing about it then, that would help.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
    hopkinb said:

ben6899 said:

Sorry to hear that ben6899. It's a crappy time of year, with the darkness and the enforced jollity. Take care. Don't stop riding your bike. That helps me enormously.
    Just need the weather to perk up a bit, luckily it's looking nice tomorrow.
    Maybe give your old wheels a good send off before sticking the new ones on at the weekend :)
    Really appreciate everyone chipping in with encouragement, thoughts and ideas.

Thanks.

I'll keep riding - at the very least, turboing. WFH tomorrow so might get out in my coffee break for a few miles.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,705
    I use the riding time to calm down before I get home after a bad day and similarly go out if stuff at home gets out of hand. Keep going and try and chill a bit.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
    Ben - sometimes you are the lamppost and sometimes you are the dog pissing against the lamppost...... but you know you have new wheels on the way to cheer you up :)
    Thanks to the m42 missed CrossFit so went to the pub. It was more fun
    ben6899 said:

Ben if you suffer from this more when it gets dark and dingy you might want to try getting one of those lights that simulates sunlight. My OH seems to think it helps.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,705
    tlw1 said:

Ben - sometimes you are the lamppost and sometimes you are the dog pissing against the lamppost...... but you know you have new wheels on the way to cheer you up :)

Or conversely; sometimes you're the meat in the sandwich and sometimes you're the balls in a vice.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
    Sometimes the hammer, sometimes the nail!

Thanks chaps.

Stevo - the light is a good idea, I'll have a look. Cheers.
    Ben

• awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    know the feeling :( stressed to the max doesnt barely seem to cover it at the moment, stuck on one of lifes big emotional rollercoasters

but it is amazing how simply pedalling away on a bike even in the rubbish weather today and might only have been a short distance, but it can totally change your mood, I might have been feeling a bit cold and very damp, but I enjoyed it,
    Keep yer chin up and keep pedalling!

Hoping you're less stressed soon.
    Ben