Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Winter Wednesday

Morning from the brickworks, tad cool this Morning. Dry till later, maybe a run laters.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,056
    WFH so a slow start and extended hound walk.

Later is young farmers bonfire - god knows what to expect
  • Morning. Damp here but not actually raining.
    After 3 days of pumping surf looks like swell dropped right off so may need to get on turbo for a session. Won't be riding outside as roads are STINKING.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,806
    Been to the dentist and escaped with only light damage to my wallet. Now on the train into town to do a spot more delegation. And maybe some work.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,934
    Office day today, was good to get the hound out on sites yesterday for a good run around though. Facebook reminded me we have had him for 3 years today which is nice, he's currently snoozing and keeping my feet warm under my desk.

Heading to town to pick up some euros today, then night ride after work
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,737
    edited November 2019
    Dentures are quite low maintenance Stevo, so why the bill?

Gah, miserable.
    Had fight with Scottish Power. I won - until they censored it up again.
    Woodburner is on and it's all cozy cozy but... Porker #1 parts may arrive and i'll have to brave it methinks and get that job finished.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    Morning, damp start to the day bit of frost minimum effort day again, waiting for stuff to be confirmed as shipped blah blah blah.
    May skive off work early do some car stuff too.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,970
    censored journey in to latest eye scans and photos appointment, train very late then miss the connecting bus up to the hospital by 45s. Only 1h+ late for my appointment. But bless 'em they will still fit me in, somehow, though I may be here some time.

hayden, get your € from a bank ATM (a proper one) in destination country. As long as your UK acct is not a rip off one, then you will get much better (spot) rate. I do using a Nationwide debit card.
    edited November 2019
    orraloon said:

hayden, get your € from a bank ATM (a proper one) in destination country. As long as your UK acct is not a rip off one, then you will get much better (spot) rate. I do using a Nationwide debit card.

Still with Natwest despite them letting me down on several occasions. 2.75% foreign currency fee or 0% "If you elect for the transaction to be converted into Sterling at the point of sale or withdrawal, we will not charge a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee, however the transaction handler may charge you a separate fee."

"†The Non-Sterling Transaction fee will notapply when paying in Sterling; however the exchange rate you paywill be set by the merchant or
    ATM provider."

Sounds like I'm fine to use an ATM then

EDIT: Maybe not

EDIT: Definitely not
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Based on that language you'll get gouged.

I use a Monzo card for my day to day spending in the UK and load up the account when I'm abroad as it's free - the amount of cash you can withdraw is restricted though. Most places take cards these days though, so I've never found it a problem.

Surprised that haydenm doesn't have Monzo or similar, what with him being a youngster!
    edited November 2019
    Monzo does look good, although I don't really need any of the advertised bill management or payday advance stuff because I'm totally loaded... ;)

Amex is 2.99% foreign transaction fee which is also unfortunate

I could start a Monzo account from my phone in minutes so I might do that... travelling on Saturday
    pinno said:

Dentures are quite low maintenance Stevo, so why the bill?

Gah, miserable.
    Had fight with Scottish Power. I won - until they censored it up again.
    Woodburner is on and it's all cozy cozy but... Porker #1 parts may arrive and i'll have to brave it methinks and get that job finished.

Laters.

I like to maintain my winning smile, pays me back in several ways >:)

Coincidentally I've got The Panzer booked in to fix a few little niggles under warranty. Don't fancy trying spannering in my case.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,590
    haydenm said:

orraloon said:

Still with Natwest despite them letting me down on several occasions. 2.75% foreign currency fee or 0% "If you elect for the transaction to be converted into Sterling at the point of sale or withdrawal, we will not charge a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee, however the transaction handler may charge you a separate fee."

"†The Non-Sterling Transaction fee will notapply when paying in Sterling; however the exchange rate you paywill be set by the merchant or
    ATM provider."

Sounds like I'm fine to use an ATM then

EDIT: Maybe not

EDIT: Definitely not
    The ATM will do the conversion to sterling so you don't pay the 2.75% but will give you an appalling rate.
    Also watch out for ATMs abroad that charge you for withdrawals because you're using a forrin card - I came across a couple of them in Lanzarote (no fee if you chose to do the sterling conversion). In some countries you don't have any other option but in euroland there should be plenty of free ATMs around.

Busy day here. Pleasant this morning but now raining and miserable as sin outside. Feeling less ill as well today but that might just be all the pills.
    I got it to segregate day to day expenses like lunch, beer, travel, minor bike expenditure, and general tat. I put £x per month in, and if it runs out, I'm stuffed. I am putting away a lot more each month as it makes me think about what I'm spending out of the main current account. It also rounds up your purchases and puts the change in a pot, which is running nicely. I was very sceptical to begin with, but I use it a lot.

You'll be able to use android/apple pay straight away I think, but you'll be lucky to get the physical card by Saturday, so you might be restricted a bit. Also, as I said before, it's not great for cash withdrawals.
    edited November 2019
    I found some Euros lying around (which were bought at a different rate about a year ago) which should tide me over. I'm only in Italy from Saturday to Thursday but I'm staying with my boss/colleague who will presumably want to pay for everything, if not I'll hand my notice in and he'll be buggered ;)

Monzo sounds quite interesting, I've taken to putting cash straight into a savings account on payday recently. I put in way more than I think I can afford to save and by the end of the month it's usually fine. Makes more sense to do it the way round that you suggest
    Stevo_666 said:

Panzer...few little niggles under warranty.

Well you would buy an over engineered, expensive heap.

I'm off to look at Monzo cards.

edited November 2019
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Panzer...few little niggles under warranty.

Well you would buy an over engineered, expensive heap.

So how much time have you spent sorting out little niggles on your heaps? ;)
    Yeahbut I have 3 other heaps that combined cost way less than half of your heap so I have more than enough cash to fix them.
    And... that warranty will expire one day...
    edited November 2019
    pinno said:

Yeahbut I have 3 other heaps that combined cost way less than half of your heap so I have more than enough cash to fix them.

You get what you pay for I suppose ;)

3 year warranty here so got a while to go yet. Thoroughly enjoying doing the 'Millenium Falcon making the jump into hyperspace' routine and testing the traction control in the meantime.
    pinno said:

They pink. Everywhere I went in the US this summer they wanted one.
    I like pink.
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

3 year warranty here so got a while to go yet. Thoroughly enjoying doing the 'Millenium Falcon making the jump into hyperspace' routine and testing the traction control in the meantime.
    You won't drive it properly until you bend it a bit

pinno said:

I like pink.

Me too. Fantakka little app and card. It even plays a little sound when you spend money.
  • Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

3 years seems a bit stingy these days I think. Best have fun with it for 18 months or so then sell it while there is still manufacturer warranty left to attract a buyer.
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS

...sell it...

Niggles on new a £xx k car!!? [insert (missing) rolling eyes icon]

• pinno said:

...sell it...

🙄

Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
    hopkinb said:
    "So it’s interesting that today’s middle-aged man is choosing instead to spend the disposable income generated by the job he hates on a Tungusku 9000 super-lightweight racing bike made from some sort of space carbon and weighing less than a grape.

“And then riding around on top of it. Wearing spandex. And a plastic hat. Like a total bell-end.

“Clearly these are not the actions of a sexual predator.”

Roy Hobbs, 41, said: “I dressed myself in the gear and looked at myself in the mirror and thought, ‘What have I become?’ I looked like a chunky wasp."

:p

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

3 years seems a bit stingy these days I think. Best have fun with it for 18 months or so then sell it while there is still manufacturer warranty left to attract a buyer.
    I think I like it too much to do that. Also if I sell it the emissions gestapo might not let me buy a similar replacement.

pinno said:

...sell it...

🙄

Yes, shock exclusive, new cars do have the occasional niggle...