A user guide to the new BikeRadar Forum

oli_adminoli_admin Posts: 60
Welcome to the BikeRadar Forum.

This post contains instructions on how to perform useful tasks within the forum software. We've covered the following topics below:

– How to change your forum username
– How to change your email address
– How to change your password
– How to post a new thread
– How to set your notifications
– How to upload a picture, or embed social media and video
– How to use the search function on the forum
– How to dismiss announcement threads

How to change your forum username

1. Click the BikeRadar logo in the top left corner of this page to go back to the BikeRadar homepage

2. From there, click 'My Account' in the top right corner, and then click 'Settings'

3. The first screen you see will have your current username. Change it to what you would like it to be, and click 'Save changes'

That will have changed your username - however, you may need to sign out of the forum and then sign in again to see the changes.

How to change your email address

1. Click the BikeRadar logo in the top left corner of this page to go back to the BikeRadar homepage

2. From there, click 'My Account' in the top right corner, and then click 'Settings'

3. Click on 'Personal details' and change your email address. Click 'Save changes'

How to change your password

3. Click on 'Change password'. Enter your existing password and new password. Click 'Save changes'

How to post a new thread

From any page on the forum, you can click the purple button labelled 'New discussion'.

You’ll be taken to a new page with drop-down options for categorisation, as well as a text-editing box for you to write your post in.

First, choose the category you’d like your discussion to appear in from the dropdown list. In keeping with our previous versions of the forum, there’s a wide choice of categories to choose from.

When you’ve selected an appropriate category, write the title of your discussion in the text box Discussion title. Don’t include too much information, but make sure people can easily understand what it is you’re asking.

Then, in the main text box, write your post in full giving all important details. From here you can also upload pictures, embed videos, or format your text.

When you’ve finished your post, you can then either post it straight away by clicking 'Post discussion'; save it as a draft to come back to later by clicking Save draft; preview it before posting by clicking 'Preview'; or cancel to go back to the forum by clicking 'Cancel'.

How to set your notifications

In your personal settings, select 'Notification preferences' in the right-hand menu. You'll find your personal settings by clicking the cog icon in the top right-hand corner, and then clicking 'Preferences'.

From there, you can choose whether to receive email or popup (on-screen) notifications. Email notifications will arrive in the inbox of the email address you registered to BikeRadar.com with, from the sender BikeRadar [[email protected]]. Popup notifications (on both mobile and desktop devices) come in the form of a white speech bubble, that appears in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.

Notify me when people post on my discussions

You can choose to receive an email or popup notification every time somebody posts a message on a discussion that you started yourself.

Notify me when people post on my bookmarked discussions

You can choose to receive an email or a popup notification every time somebody posts a message on a discussion that you have bookmarked (bookmarks are set by clicking the star icon, on the right-hand side of the corresponding thread).

Notify me when new posts/topics arrive in certain categories

Users can follow individual categories and be notified of all posts within them and can choose to receive these notifications via email or the popup function.
To customise these notifications click on the globe at the top right of your screen, then 'Notification preferences' scroll down to 'Category notifications' and simply tick the boxes that apply to your needs.

Notify me when people mention me

In a similar way to many social media platforms, forum members are able to 'tag' you in their post by typing @ followed by your username. You can opt to be notified via email or popup notification every time a forum member does this.

Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in

You can choose to receive a notification every time somebody makes a post after you have made a post in a discussion. The discussion doesn’t need to have been started by you, this is relevant for any thread on the forum.

Notify me of private messages

You can choose to receive a notification every time somebody sends you a private message directly to your inbox on the forum.

If you uncheck all notifications, you will still receive a log of activity when you sign in to the forum to let you know what's been going on in the discussions you’ve been involved with. These can be found via the globe icon, in the top right-hand corner of the screen.

• oli_adminoli_admin Posts: 60
    edited 7 November

How to customise your forum homepage and recent discussions panel

The BikeRadar forum contains a vast amount of different categories for all different disciplines within cycling.

It's possible to customise your forum homepage/your recent discussions panel so that you are only presented with topics from areas that interest you the most.

To do this, head to the top of any category you should now see an option to 'follow'

At the top of the forum home page/recent discussions, you should now be able to select to view new content from only the categories that you are following.

Alternatively, you can click the cog alongside the title of the area you are interested in (if you access it via its parent category)

Then, you can simply switch the view panel at the top of your 'recent discussions' page to 'Followed' rather than the default 'All'

How to upload a picture, or embed social media and video

Attaching a file from your device

Once you’ve started a new discussion, you’ll see the option to add a picture to your post within the text editor - you just need to click the image icon, as indicated below.

Click the white 'Choose Files' button. This will bring up the personal files stored on your device. Find the image you’d like to upload, within your personal image folders, and then click 'Open'.

When you’ve clicked that, the image will appear in the text box - the larger the file, the longer it will take to upload. Once it has loaded, click anywhere in the text box to begin typing; it may help to press Enter on your keyboard once or twice, to clearly separate the text from the image.

Once you’re happy with what you’ve written, you can either Save draft to come back to later, or you can Preview it to see what it will look like before you post it. To post it straightaway, click 'Post discussion'.

Uploading a picture from a website (desktop only*)

If for example, you’ve seen something you like the look of online, but don’t want to save the image to your device, you could simply input its website address into the URL field, which can be found via the image icon as can be seen above. Please credit the photographer (if known), and the website from which the image came when you write your post.

When you’ve found an image, you’ll first need to right-click it and choose the option to copy the image address, or equivalent. If you can’t see this option, you could also right-click the image, and choose to open it in a new tab or window. When the new page loads, you can then copy the website address from the address bar. Then, paste the address into the URL field on the forum.

Dragging and dropping an image (desktop only)

On a desktop computer, it is also possible to drag and drop an image. You’ll need to have two windows visible on your screen: the forum window with the text editor in view, and the website which is hosting the image.

Simply left-click the image and hold it down, not releasing the clicker. Then, drag it across your screen to the text-editing box on the forum. You should see a dotted line appear around the text editor. Then, release the clicker. Please credit the photographer (if known), and the website from which the image came when you write your post.

Embedding social media content

If, for example, you have seen something you want to share from a social media platform, you could copy its website address (URL), and then paste it directly into the text editor. We have found this works well with Instagram and Twitter.

Embedding video from YouTube or Vimeo

In the same way as the above method, you can embed video into your post from YouTube or Vimeo. All you need to do is copy the website address (URL) directly into the text editor. When you post it, you should then see the video on the forum. If your video doesn't play, it'll be because the content creator has disabled embedding.

How to use the search function on the forum

From the Categories or Recent discussions pages, you can use the white search bar at the top of the page, above the advert, to search through forum content.

For example, you could type ‘bottom bracket’ in the search field, and then press the Enter key on your keyboard, which will give you all the content present on the forum which contains the word ‘bottom bracket’.

If you find that there’s too much to sift through, you can refine your search results by clicking the downward-pointing arrow on the search bar after you have begun a search. You can use the filters to provide you with more tailored results.

For example, you may know the exact title of a particular thread you are looking for, or the forum member who started the discussion. You can also choose which category you’d like to see results from, or you could filter by date, if you know roughly the period you’d like to see results from.

When you are finished filtering your results, simply press the purple Search button at the end, and you’ll have a new list of search results.

How to create a poll

From any page on the forum, you can click the downward-pointing arrow on the purple button titled New discussion, from where you can click New poll.

First, write your poll question, as well as an optional description, in their corresponding text boxes. Then, choose whether you’d like the poll voters’ identities to be anonymous or not – ticking the box will ensure their identities aren’t revealed.

Finally, enter your poll options in the numbered text boxes. You can add as many poll options as you wish, by pressing Add another poll option.

When you’re finished, press the purple Post poll button, and your poll will be live on the forum straight away.

If you’ve chosen to reveal voters’ identities, their choice will be publicly visible on the forum, and on any post they make within your poll.

How to dismiss announcement threads

Click the cog icon in the right-hand corner of the thread title, then click 'Dismiss'. To save an announcement for later, click the star icon to the right of the cog - they'll then stay in your Bookmarks.

• manxshredmanxshred Posts: 284
    Do we still have the ability to edit posts like the old forum? I can't find ab edit button on my post in the metric century challenge, which will make managing that challenge quite difficult.
    Road - Volagi Liscio
    MTB - Santa Cruz TallBoy
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 6,796
    - How do you jump to most recent post in a thread?
    - Where is egosearch? "My discussions" only shows threads I started, which may be useful but is not normally what
  • George_ScottGeorge_Scott Posts: 19 Editor
    manxshred said:

Do we still have the ability to edit posts like the old forum? I can't find ab edit button on my post in the metric century challenge, which will make managing that challenge quite difficult.

I have updated the forum settings to enable editing on old posts. You should now be able to view this by clicking the cog in the top-right corner of your post.
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,369
    How do I jump to recent unread posts in a thread?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 1,972

- Where is egosearch? "My discussions" only shows threads I started, which may be useful but is not normally what

This!

It's pretty much the feature I used most in the old forum.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • flasherflasher Posts: 1,594
    jba said:

How do I jump to recent unread posts in a thread?

Once you've read the latest post in a thread, it remembers that point so the next time you click on that thread it takes you to where you last left it. Obviously as it's all new it will start from the beginning.
  • dabberdabber Posts: 1,522
    elbowloh said:

This!

Yes, jump to the last post in the thread please.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Giant Defy 3/Specialized Roubaix Pro/Calibre Bossnut
  • George_ScottGeorge_Scott Posts: 19 Editor
    dabber said:

elbowloh said:

This!

Yes, jump to the last post in the thread please.
    Because everyone is essentially viewing the new forum for the first time, you will be taken to the beginning of each thread when you initially click on it. If you were then to view the thread again, it will take you to your last viewed post.
  • fliteflite Posts: 76
    I can't find the log out button
  • Jack_LukeJack_Luke Posts: 8 Assistant Editor
    flite said:

I can't find the log out button

If you click the cog in the top right of the screen, you should see the 'sign out' button.
    Assistant Editor for BikeRadar.com. Keep up to date with my latest work here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 31 October
    Deleted - moved to bugs
  • cowshamcowsham Posts: 1,444
    Can't find the "your posts" button
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,369
    Is there a ‘mark all read’ button anywhere?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 4,219
    jba said:

Only within a sub-forum level that I can find. If you open “Mountain Biking Forum” so you see all the sub-headings like Crudcatcher, The Hub etc, each one has a little cog icon, which has a Mark as Read option. That flags all topics under that sub-heading as read.
    JBA said:

You should now be able to do this via the cog at the top right of the page 'Mark all viewed' to mark all posts as viewed or 'Mark Category Viewed' to just apply to one category area.

Let me know if that's what you wanted.

• marykamaryka Posts: 722
    Should have posted here instead of the other thread, apologies. I see also that you can't delete posts... :/

Anyway how do I re-create my email notifications for sub-forums when new topics are posted? Can't see how to do that. Thanks.
    maryka said:

Should have posted here instead of the other thread, apologies. I see also that you can't delete posts... :/

Anyway how do I re-create my email notifications for sub-forums when new topics are posted? Can't see how to do that. Thanks.

If you click the globe at the top right of your screen then go to 'notification preferences' you should be able to scroll down to the settings where you can configure between Email and Popup notifications for post/topics within each subforum.
    Nope. I get this:

And under notification preferences, I get this (no sub forums).

maryka said:

Nope. I get this:

And under notification preferences, I get this (no sub forums).

Can you please try and do the same again now, I've tweaked some permissions.
    Yes that works now though it's an extremely unwieldy and repetitive list of sub forums (e.g., Women's Cycling Forum and further down, Women -- which one is it and how are they different?)

Clicking under Categories also reveals a confusing list of forums that doesn't match the notification list at all.

Can there not be a proper list of nested forums that makes sense and is the same in both places?
    maryka said:

Yes that works now though it's an extremely unwieldy and repetitive list of sub forums (e.g., Women's Cycling Forum and further down, Women -- which one is it and how are they different?)

Clicking under Categories also reveals a confusing list of forums that doesn't match the notification list at all.

Can there not be a proper list of nested forums that makes sense and is the same in both places?

I can understand your frustration here. The good news is we will soon be auditing the category structure to bring things up to date.
    Thanks for that. I look forward to it.
    edited 7 November
    Thread now updated to include details on how to customise your forum homepage and recent discussions panel
  • me-109me-109 Posts: 1,105
    I can't change my email address because the 'verify' link in the email returns a 'page not found' type error.
    edited 11 November
    me-109 said:

I can't change my email address because the 'verify' link in the email returns a 'page not found' type error.

Apologies for this, we'll investigate right away.
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 7,712
    oli_admin said:

Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in

You can choose to receive a notification every time somebody makes a post after you have made a post in a discussion. The discussion doesn’t need to have been started by you, this is relevant for any thread on the forum.

Hi - is there an easy way to see this? I don't want hundreds of emails, so I don't want notifications, but an easy way to view this would be really handy.

On the old forum I used the egosearch function all the time (https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch - it is still my browser autofill result for bikeradar...) where you could see a list of all the topics you had posted in organised by latest reply.

I can't really see how to do this and I am not really keen on bookmarking every thread I post on.

• orraloonorraloon Posts: 5,279
    How do you do a search within a topic? Can't seem to find this function.
  • elbowloh said:

This!

Yes, this is still missing. There is no direct way to find a thread that I didn't start, but have commented on and go to the latest post in the thread. I can only either see threads I've started, or my last comment on a thread that I didn't start, which in some cases can be multiple pages back.

My use of the forum has pretty much stopped since this update, I'm sorry, but it's really not that well thought out.
    Have to agree, also the font is so large on my desktop with so much white space at either side it's a chore to read threads now.