Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

New Wheel set advice required.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,441
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Probably asked this before, my American Victory Classic wheels are about worn out on the rims so after a replacement sets. Currently looking at some Borg31 and going tubeless on my commute, touring come wet weather bike. Wife has grudgingly agreed a budget of around £500 for wheels and tyres, needs to be bulletproof and rim braked shimano 10/11 speed. Skewers not through axles, not really wanting super lightweight or carbon. Bike weighs around 10kg plus 80kg ish rider with extra 12kg luggage for work max and possibly a bit more if I use it for light touring again. Existing wheels have done best part of 15k miles with 1 set of bearings and no spokes or buckles etc. Tyres will be IRC Formula pro cigars as per my other bike. Looking for same kind of reliability. What else is out there that will also do the job.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I was going to suggest the very Borgs you're considering, Miche Primato hubs, 24F / 28R spokes, IRC Formula Pro Xguards supplied and fitted.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,441
    They came highly recommended, but I wondered if anything else out there just as good or better for the same money.
    Quick update and a shout out for Malc at cycleclinic. Ordered the Borg 31s off him just before Christmas and received them at the wkend. Brilliant service given the Christmas holidays. Fitted them and given them a good run out today. My original wheels weren't exactly censored , in fact highly rated. But my new Borgs are brilliant a fair bit lighter and the IRC formula pro xguards tyres are way better than my old gaterskins. Hopefully last as long as I my old American Victory Classics if not longer. Would highly recommend Cycleclinic and Borg wheels, suspect they won't be the last wheels I have off him.
  • Ah that was you.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
    Yep