R4720 - 5700 shifting actuation

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited September 2019 in Workshop
Having gone hydro brakes with R7020 on the better bike, I now want it on the commute bike but on the cheap if possible. Can I get away with just R4720 shifters and keep the 1x10 5700/6700 current drivetrain are the cassette sprocket spacing different on 4700 compared to 5700?
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• akh
    akh Posts: 206
    The cassette spacing is the same, but it still won't work.

You can keep the cassette, chain, and chainset, but you'll need to replace the derailleurs. Although Shimano kept 4700 10 speed, they changed the cable pull ratio to match the new 11 speed stuff. 4700 / 4720 levers and derailleurs have no backwards compatibility with previous 10 speed levers or derailleurs.

Given that the new pull ratio is commons to all recent road groupsets, some people have suggested you could use an 11 speed derailleur if you have one spare, but I've never tried it.

Shimano official compatibility chart is here. You want section C-454 which confirms what I've said.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?c ... acid=C-454
  • redvee
    Been thinking about this further and going 1x11 with GRX or R7020 but I've got a 10sp Hope hub so I'll need an 11sp MTB cassette cause the are dished slightly on the largest sprocket compared to the flat large sprocket on a road 11sp cassette??
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    You might also get away with a road 11-34 cassette. It requires a spacer when used on an 11 speed road freehub, so I would assume it can work with a 10 speed freehub without the space.
  • redvee
    Rear hub issue sorted, went into the bike shop 2 two doors away and said what I'm trying to do and as cheap as possible then got chatting about other stuff and the guy said he had a customer looking for mechanical callipers. BINGO, I had draft listed the old HY:RDs on Ebay but not added any images yet so the guy in the shop gave me a 11sp wheel and R7000 cassette for my callipers and £30 :D Been pricing up online tonight for shifters, mech, callipers and hoses.