my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869
    Not enough sleep :(

Might go out to running club later, though can’t be bothered
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Eurgh Monday, still least it's not raining, it's cloudy though.

Day of thumb twiddling mainly, need to order a couple of bits for the new project bike then sit around an wait for the boxes to turn up.

Going to do a cappuccino an some toast then get ready for this work nonsense.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    'ning

Damp here but it's stopped raining now and forecast looking better for later.
    Any tips for getting energy gel off bar tape? Bike's a bit sticky.
  • 'ning

New bike seems like the best approach.

Sudden chilly snap today, so spent most of it in the shed messing about with timber stuff. Later is dinner at pub.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • thistle_
    'ning

New bike seems like the best approach.
    Good plan, although I'd have to get rid of the sticky one.
    Someone's offered me their fast bike but unfortunately I don't have the space for both.
  • step83
    Energy gel is usually a pig but soaking it in degreaser seems to shift it well enough, I usually spray a cloth or paper towel so its pretty wet an wrap it round the offending area.
  • Morning! Paper work etc...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • step83
    My current go to for cleaning the fancy etap mechs on the bike is Ambersil AMB7010070S. Foaming anti static aerosol cleaner, works well on grease and bottle drip stains.

Query on frame protectors, new frame has a quite nice design on the downtube. Reckon its worth putting some protection tape over it to save the inevitable crap being flung at it?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    I know some of you are keen on road bikes but getting them sticky is maybe a step too far.

Didn't know what day it was when the alarm went off, but I had a good ride in on my non-sticky bike (although the chain is a bit gunky if I'm honest). Onwards to killing idiots and inflated tax demands.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited September 2019
    ciao

tired and ill. so ill. this level of illness would kill whole Saturday club runs of clubbies in one hit. you'd be cruising down the road, turn a corner, then there they would be, mounds of them scattered everywhere in ill fitting clothing designed by a visual cripple surrounded by rubbish bikes with mudguards, all whispering thier final words"my hunt wheels. i was mugged fellas. always denied it to everyone but mf was right you know".

currently sitting in car park waiting for bambino. then pick up bambina, get home, unpack, wash everything then repack to head away on Weds.

did i mention i was ill?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I was ill once. It was last week. Wasn't very nice. Still hacking and spluttering a bit.
  • No time for sickness, it's soon time to pack! A weeks sailing in Greece beckons and the forecast is superb.

Life.Is.Good.
  • hopkinb wrote:
    I was ill once. It was last week. Wasn't very nice. Still hacking and spluttering a bit.

sucks doesn't? being this ill i'm starting to realise what it must be like for normal people at full strength.

are you hacking and spluttering up chewy bits? I am. They taste funny peculiar.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Right, that's the last weights session before I go sailing. Just honing the body into even more of an Adonis which will be apt as heading to Greece. Plan for a ride tomorrow then flying early Wed. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!
  • Enjoy yourself SC, this week the most exciting thing I have to look forward to is paining a white wall, white and then watching it dry.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Cheers, I'll do my utmost! Just need to ensure we're in somewhere Sunday morning so can watch Eng v Tonga in RWC.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:

sucks doesn't? being this ill i'm starting to realise what it must be like for normal people at full strength.

are you hacking and spluttering up chewy bits? I am. They taste funny peculiar.

Yeah. I gob the chewy bits out whilst riding along at 45kph (obvs because ill, this is down from the standard 55kph). Like bullets they are. The sweating is what bothers me. Dripping with it, no exertion. I strongly resemble a sex case confronted with his crimes.
  • do they make a "splot" noise on the road?

i was once getting over a cold that was strong it wiped out the members of the local Rapha cafe race team race race team and did a Froome style nose blow and instead of falling off and snapping froome style spindly limbs smiled when the booger splatted against the road with a resounding "splat"

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thistle_
    Step83 wrote:
    Query on frame protectors, new frame has a quite nice design on the downtube. Reckon its worth putting some protection tape over it to save the inevitable crap being flung at it?
    Mine's matt black and I put some on. I figured it would be handy if it got really filthy and I couldn't get the crud off (e.g sheep/cow shit). I also put some on the forks/stays where the mudguards touch.

There's a couple of scuffs on the downtube tape from stones so it seems to have been worthwhile for me.

Helitape and equivalent seems a lot more expensive now everyone does it though.
  • hopkinb
    do they make a "splot" noise on the road?

i was once getting over a cold that was strong it wiped out the members of the local Rapha cafe race team race race team and did a Froome style nose blow and instead of falling off and snapping froome style spindly limbs smiled when the booger splatted against the road with a resounding "splat"

More of a ptannnnnnngggggg.
  • Step83 wrote:
    Mine's matt black and I put some on. I figured it would be handy if it got really filthy and I couldn't get the crud off (e.g sheep/cow shoot). I also put some on the forks/stays where the mudguards touch.

There's a couple of scuffs on the downtube tape from stones so it seems to have been worthwhile for me.

Helitape and equivalent seems a lot more expensive now everyone does it though.

clear fablon?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb wrote:
    do they make a "splot" noise on the road?

More of a ptannnnnnngggggg.

if you were riding really really fast up a mountain at the time would it be a ptannnnngggggii?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb

if you were riding really really fast up a mountain at the time

:lol::lol::lol:

Have you not listened to Pinno? Each of my legs weigh more than him. I'm probably faster than my mum up hills, but she's in her 70's, and I'm not sure she can ride a bike.

34/28 and hope I dont fall off.

Therefore the sound of my nasty phlegm pinging off mountainsides at high speeds has never been experienced. Only on the flat.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,344
    Mine goes boing, boing, boing down the road.

Can you set up a race with me and yer Mum Hoppy? I might have a tiny sliver of a chance.

Brake cleaner fluid - that'll get the sticky stuff off.
    [I'm sure i've had this conversation with Step before].
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    hopkinb wrote:

if you were riding really really fast up a mountain at the time

:lol::lol::lol:

Have you not listened to Pinno? Each of my legs weigh more than him. I'm probably faster than my mum up hills, but she's in her 70's, and I'm not sure she can ride a bike.

34/28 and hope I dont fall off.

Therefore the sound of my nasty phlegm pinging off mountainsides at high speeds has never been experienced. Only on the flat.
    Hills go down as well as up, you have a lot of gravity :lol: