TDF 2019, Stage 18: Embrun > Valloire 25/07/2019 - 208 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Has ITV4 gone bonkers with its ads today. Feels like every 10 mins.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Has ITV4 gone bonkers with its ads today. Feels like every 10 mins.

They always front load the ads so they can go (mostly) ad free for the last climb
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    57K to go and the Mailot Jaune group is almost only GC riders!

nice part of the world to ride in. (especially when the Porsche and ferrari tourists and hoardes of motorbike riders are banned for the day)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    got to launch egan i reckon
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited July 2019
    Given that both the Izoard and Galibier descents are beautiful "Introduction to Alpine descending" type roads (i.e. not very hard), does that help or hinder an attack over the top?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Van Barle dropping back from the KoM group while Castrovejo puts in some work on the front of the yellow jersey group.

I reckon Thomas has legs today.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

Would Thomas go straight out the back if they did?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Quintana up to 7th on GC - putting pressure on those in 7th and 8th, so they'll have to start chasing...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Van Barle dropping back from the KoM group while Castrovejo puts in some work on the front of the yellow jersey group.

I reckon Thomas has legs today.

He just reconnected with the spots, who are now the lead group, I think.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    ddraver wrote:
    Given that both the Izoard and Galibier descents are beautiful "Introduction to Alpine descending" type roads (i.e. not very hard), does that help or hinder and attack over the top?

they are fantastic roads to get some speed up and not have any stress. Very nice indeed
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 wrote:

if pinot can follow egan will not persist. otherwise as is

everyone else stays put

Landa may go but his deficit is big
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    electronic gears ...worth the hassle?
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    edited July 2019
    ddraver wrote:
    Given that both the Izoard and Galibier descents are beautiful "Introduction to Alpine descending" type roads (i.e. not very hard), does that help or hinder and attack over the top?
    The descent into Briancon is nice and fast, but has a few up-hill bits. The road down to Valloire is tricky, especially the middle bit near the Pantani monument.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    gsk82 wrote:

everyone else stays put

The priority must be to get rid of Alaphilippe
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Given the weather today I'd think they'd want to put Pinot into trouble
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ddraver wrote:
    The descent into Briancon is nice and fast, but has a few up-hill bits. The road down to Valloire is tricky, especially the middle bit near the Pantani monument.

Yeah I've done them, can't quite decide if me finding them easy makes for a race on the descent or not...

I am self aware enough to know it's not because I just happen to have had a hidden talent for descending I'd hitherto never uncovered....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    BigMat wrote:
    Quintana up to 7th on GC - putting pressure on those in 7th and 8th, so they'll have to start chasing...
    :D:D:D
    Mischievous.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • mididoctors
    Amador looks fatigued as f**K

a few silly offs today. tired riders?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Funeral services, equity release and donkey charities... what's the ITV4 audience like, are they all Tory members?
    left the forum March 2023
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

everyone else stays put

The priority must be to get rid of Alaphilippe

probably anchor himself to thomas.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    DeadCalm wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Mischievous.
    Genuis!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mididoctors
    Funeral services, equity release and donkey charities... what's the ITV4 audience like, are they all Tory members?

the funeral services stuff needs to be banned
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    The terrain swings from favouring Movistar to Ineos....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    larkim wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Mischievous.
    Genuis!

No doubt Valverde will put the hammer down soon and subsequently drop Quintana 2km from the top of the Galibier!!
  • mididoctors
    anyone can win this race
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Funeral services*, equity release** and donkey charities***... what's the ITV4 audience like, are they all Tory members?

*Middle aged cyclists worrying about road safety
    **Middle aged cyclists wondering how to get a better bike
    ***Pedro Delgado fans****

****Middle aged cyclists
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    larkim wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Mischievous.
    Genuis!

No doubt Valverde will put the hammer down soon and subsequently drop Quintana 2km from the top of the Galibier!!

Now he weighs as much as a bag of flour, he seems able to manage 2500 metres, no problem.
    It's only taken him 20 years, too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Delete. Please fix this bloody forum.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Delete. Please fix this bloody forum.

... after the stage has finished though please
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Far too many mountain scenery shots when there is a bike race to watch.