Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Monday as the sun rises on a new month

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,723
edited July 2019 in The bottom bracket
Morning, work, rest and play today. One day left after today on shifts at least it's a bit cooler. A pinch and a punch on the first day of the month to all.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,066
    Shoot sleep for the eldest was passed on by him which is nice

Today is the delights of Birmingham and later probably running club, but as my Strava still hasn’t uploaded yesterday ride, is it worth doing anything?
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,778
    'ning

coffee and webex, entangle things in this lab and another, early bail
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, cloudy start to July here, hedges to cut, bikes to ride
  • Morning, driving kids around later so may get a quick ride in this morning. Warmish but windy again so the usual slog into the headwind no doubt....sigh.
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,596
    Morning
    Short-ish pedal to the office. Pack of jaffa cakes for breakfast. Is it home time yet?
    TLW1 wrote:
    but as my Strava still hasn’t uploaded yesterday ride, is it worth doing anything?
    Maybe pro riders have been blocked?
    TLW1 wrote:
    but as my Strava still hasn’t uploaded yesterday ride, is it worth doing anything?
    Maybe pro riders have been blocked?
    :)
  • darkhairedlorddarkhairedlord Posts: 7,094
    Post weekend apocalypse pony then off to work.
    Sanded the work surface of mrs DHL s desk and four coats Danish oil over the weekend.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    Morning, sat in Das Panzer debating going into work. Currently 90% not wanting to.

Day of dullness awaits may lob my cv at people see what comes of it. Best go getting funny looks probably as my stereos a bit bassy chav boom boom
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,938
    Back to the land of normality after a few days on the bike in 38 degree temps.

I'll update the "your bike in scenic locations" thread later.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,432
    Monday. Recovering a bit.

Spent yesterday in hospital Emergency department for 6+ hours being assessed to see if I’d had a minor stroke. I haven’t, which is a good thing, but my GP wanted to exclude the <1% chance that it was.

Exercise program as prescribed by physiologist is helping my back, but upsetting my neck. :(

So far, retirement not the lifestyle change I was expecting.
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,808
    Step83 wrote:
    Morning, sat in Das Panzer
    What are you doing on my driveway Step?

Back to the grindstone after a long and busy weekend. At least I got back to cycling (as managed nothing last week) and the weather is spot on for now.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Spent yesterday in hospital Emergency department for 6+ hours being assessed to see if I’d had a minor stroke. I haven’t, which is a good thing, but my GP wanted to exclude the <1% chance that it was.

Exercise program as prescribed by physiologist is helping my back, but upsetting my neck. :(

Go back to work? A lot of blokes who 'retire' end up doing something work-wise for whatever reason, whether it's money, a bit of human interaction or keeping out from under their OH's feet...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,747
    TLW1 wrote:
    ...but as my Strava still hasn’t uploaded yesterday ride, is it worth doing anything?

Have you been drug tested BTW? (it's a jolly good job they don't breath test you during these events). Was that crit that wots got you the points a pub-to-pub? If it was, the opposition had no chance.

Windy here but at least it's sunny.
    When is summer coming back or is that it?
    Sister and co. are coming down at the end of the week. Perhaps we should sneak off for a weekend break somewhere. I'll blame amnesia and she can jump up and down in my absence.

Meanwhile, waiting for bloody courier. Can't do nuffink.

Duct tape or WD40 WS.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,432
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Go back to work? A lot of blokes who 'retire' end up doing something work-wise for whatever reason, whether it's money, a bit of human interaction or keeping out from under their OH's feet...
    There's a huge list of things I *want* to be doing in life as a Gentleman Of Leisure. Most of those involve significant activity (bikes, tennis, golf, gardening, workshop stuff, gym, kayaking, walking). I just physically can't do them which only adds to the frustration. The indoorsy things I'd love to do involve sitting - piano lessons, (digital) drawing... and those are just as challenging...

The problem is I simply cannot sit or stand at a desk/computer/keyboard for more than a few minutes at a time any longer - see "neck" above. And any actual physical exertion like just riding a bike gives me eye-watering nerve pain in the neck and arms after a very short time.

My (last/current) client is pleading with me to go back to work for them in some capacity of my choosing. And somewhat weirdly, the thought of trying to do a decent job for them and - in my eyes - failing to deliver, gives me near-panic attacks and already sleepless nights made worse.

I've apparently developed a particularly poor tolerance for a lot of the painkillers available - while they give me some relief from the neuralgia, the associated side-effects on me for now are severe enough to make them pointless. I'm a lab experiment for pharmacology at the moment.

Sorry for the rant/dump of problems. I am very much aware I am in the extremely fortunate position of being able to choose whether to work for a living or not, and were it physically "do-able" I might even continue some part time stuff - keep me in bike parts and decent whisky if nothing else.

Just doing my head in I can't either work or take advantage of not working. :x :x :x :x :x :x
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    Morning, sat in Das Panzer
    What are you doing on my driveway Step?

Back to the grindstone after a long and busy weekend. At least I got back to cycling (as managed nothing last week) and the weather is spot on for now.

Panzers work best in divisions I find, I guess I could park near? Mind you if we had carried on with the biblical volumes of rain I could have easily claimed to be a Schnell boat of the Kriegsmarine.

Correction, River Monitor its not fast enough to be anything else, or of late its been for lugging censored so maybe a Munitionspanzer :roll:

WS, have you looked at things like Acupuncture? I had problems with my back an its helped a fair amount
  • Binned ride as feeling a bit off so did a weights session instead. Weather lovely here in the far west, the intense heat gone but an extremely pleasant 22C and sun. Forecast for rest of week good, shame I'm back in work tomorrow....
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,938
    Might go for a run when I get home, other than that an early night is on the cards.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,975
    Jeez 'Spinner, I thought Aussies were all "yeah no worries mate". Good to hear you got cleared of serious nasties. Last night my daughter let me know son in law had to be checked out for poss stroke, loss of vision in one eye overnight. He is early 30s. Me, I'm older than that and have 'the bad eye' so was case of xxxxing hell, not him at that age. Today he got fully checked out at my favourite Eye Hospital and all clear, no lasting problems, thank Freda.

Life eh. Enjoy while and as much as we can.
    Stevo 666 wrote:

There's a huge list of things I *want* to be doing in life as a Gentleman Of Leisure. Most of those involve significant activity (bikes, tennis, golf, gardening, workshop stuff, gym, kayaking, walking). I just physically can't do them which only adds to the frustration. The indoorsy things I'd love to do involve sitting - piano lessons, (digital) drawing... and those are just as challenging...

The problem is I simply cannot sit or stand at a desk/computer/keyboard for more than a few minutes at a time any longer - see "neck" above. And any actual physical exertion like just riding a bike gives me eye-watering nerve pain in the neck and arms after a very short time.

My (last/current) client is pleading with me to go back to work for them in some capacity of my choosing. And somewhat weirdly, the thought of trying to do a decent job for them and - in my eyes - failing to deliver, gives me near-panic attacks and already sleepless nights made worse.

I've apparently developed a particularly poor tolerance for a lot of the painkillers available - while they give me some relief from the neuralgia, the associated side-effects on me for now are severe enough to make them pointless. I'm a lab experiment for pharmacology at the moment.

Sorry for the rant/dump of problems. I am very much aware I am in the extremely fortunate position of being able to choose whether to work for a living or not, and were it physically "do-able" I might even continue some part time stuff - keep me in bike parts and decent whisky if nothing else.

Just doing my head in I can't either work or take advantage of not working. :x :x :x :x :x :x
    That sucks big time WS.

I remember the pain of sciatica and never want to go back there ever again, so have some idea of what you're having to put up with. I hope they can find a way of fixing you.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,747
    I called my old W123 series ' Freda'.

Can't be much fun WS.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
    Stevo 666 wrote:

That’s shoot

Think I would be trying non medically prescribed drugs at that point (along with the whiskey)
    Pinno wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    ...but as my Strava still hasn’t uploaded yesterday ride, is it worth doing anything?

Have you been drug tested BTW? (it's a jolly good job they don't breath test you during these events). Was that crit that wots got you the points a pub-to-pub? If it was, the opposition had no chance.
    :) - probably use the fixie for that race