Upgrading to Carbon Wheels...

2»

Comments

• Platti
    Platti Posts: 130
    Alex222 wrote:
    I just had some Farsports 50mm deep wheels delivered, with DT Swiss 350 hubs. Came in at £520 (including pre-paid tax). Weight (excl. QR) was 1.63kg.
    Should be getting their first test ride on Sunday.
    Will be my first experience of deeper rim wheels so can't wait.
    48048807062_f8e8c70da4_c.jpgUntitled by Alex H

Let me know how that first ride goes...and a link to where you got them please.

Cheers.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Platti wrote:
    Alex222 wrote:
    I just had some Farsports 50mm deep wheels delivered, with DT Swiss 350 hubs. Came in at £520 (including pre-paid tax). Weight (excl. QR) was 1.63kg.
    Should be getting their first test ride on Sunday.
    Will be my first experience of deeper rim wheels so can't wait.

Let me know how that first ride goes...and a link to where you got them please.

Cheers.
    Will do. Link is below. Mine are the tubeless compatible version (no spoke holes) and 25mm external rim width. I am running them with tubes though.
    I also used a code that was valid for May to get $50 off, although I have read they offer similar deals at other points in the year.

https://www.wheelsfar.com/
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    rwoofer wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Avoid Hunts: massively overpriced, not that great and built with the same components in the same factory by the same guy as every other Chinese wheel but with a 50% mark up.

#deep
    #rim

I just don't understand this comment, as my experience has been that Hunt offer very good value for money. For example, my Mason X 650B gravel wheels are bang up to date on shape, lightweight and cost just £319. When I looked at carbon wheels I found a lot of the chinese wheels were still very narrow width, which I wouldn't go back to (I bought Roval CL50s in the end). All the magazine reviews also rate Hunt as very good value. Have you got something personal against them?

Same rims as all the Chinese wheels and PX and Selcof, etc
    Same spokes as all the Chinese wheels and PX and Selcof, etc
    Same hubs as all the Chinese wheels and PX and Selcof, etc
    Put together in the same factory as all the Chinese wheels and PX and Selcof, etc
    Put together by the same blokes as all the Chinese wheels and PX and Selcof, etc
    Sent out to you in the same cardboard box as all the Chinese wheels, PX, Selcof, etc.

Over double the price

they aren't bad wheels because they are as good as the ones everyone above is recommending because they are exactly the same parts. exactly the same.

they are just massively over priced. as in massively overpriced. absolutely no point in spending that much on them.

#massivelyoverpriced
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alex222 wrote:
    Will do. Link is below. Mine are the tubeless compatible version (no spoke holes) and 25mm external rim width. I am running them with tubes though.
    I also used a code that was valid for May to get $50 off, although I have read they offer similar deals at other points in the year.

Thanks for that. I too am looking to upgrade and these seem interesting. Just one question if I may...
    I have a set of Hunt tubeless rims on my foul weather/winter bike. I'm running them with tubes and they are very good but a total PIA to get clinchers on and off. I've taken to carrying a Kool Tool at all times to stop probelms getting tyres back on after a puncture repair in the middle of nowhere.

Can I ask how easy/hard these of yours are to get tyres on and off, compared to a more normal non tubeless rim?
  • alex222
    Alex222 wrote:

Thanks for that. I too am looking to upgrade and these seem interesting. Just one question if I may...
    I have a set of Hunt tubeless rims on my foul weather/winter bike. I'm running them with tubes and they are very good but a total PIA to get clinchers on and off. I've taken to carrying a Kool Tool at all times to stop probelms getting tyres back on after a puncture repair in the middle of nowhere.

Can I ask how easy/hard these of yours are to get tyres on and off, compared to a more normal non tubeless rim?
    Put a brand new pair of GP 5000 25mm tyres on with no issue whatsoever. Did not need to use any tyre levers.
  • Thank you. That's good to know.
    One further question. I assume you are in UK so will have had credit card transaction charges, plus the courier/postal system will have wanted to add on import duties, their own fees and VAT. Can I ask how much that came to?
  • alex222
    Thank you. That's good to know.
    One further question. I assume you are in UK so will have had credit card transaction charges, plus the courier/postal system will have wanted to add on import duties, their own fees and VAT. Can I ask how much that came to?
    Paid via PayPal on my Halifax credit card, which has good exchange rates, as Farsports charge in USD. I selected the pre pay EU tax option on the website, which adds $50, but I also used the $50 discount code which offset that.
    So all in all it cost me £517 all in.

Tyres ordered from Mantel in Holland, £70 for the pair.
  • Thanks. Good to know.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Alex222 wrote:
    Thank you. That's good to know.
    Paid via PayPal on my Halifax credit card, which has good exchange rates, as Farsports charge in USD. I selected the pre pay EU tax option on the website, which adds $50, but I also used the $50 discount code which offset that.
    So all in all it cost me £517 all in.

Tyres ordered from Mantel in Holland, £70 for the pair.

Hi Alex222,

Just wondering what finish is on your wheels?
    Thanks.
  • alex222
    Finish is the UD Matt option
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Alex222 wrote:
    Finish is the UD Matt option

Cheers
  • flight147z
    flight147z Posts: 69
    I have those Farsport wheels too. I got them last August and have done about 2,500 miles on them since then

Apart from having the rear wheel trued recently I haven't had any issues

Braking is fine, though not as good as alloy rims with the supplied pads

They look great and sound awesome

IMG-20190512-142321-01.jpg
  • Can anyone advise on the approximate custom fees etc if I buy a set of wheels from likes of carbonzone on eBay as I see they are selling wheels from around £200. That seems incredibly cheap , but maybe they’ll get £200 of customs fees and vat added ???

Thanks
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I would highly recommend www.zedbikewheels.com, they are well worth a close look.

I ride with a couple of mates that have the Extralite versions and they are beautifully made, nice and light, ride much better than my carbon Mavic’s and are a good bit cheaper.

The best thing about them though is, they’re made in Yorkshire.

What more could you ask for !
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Rokt wrote:

'built' in Yorkshire, according to the website. Not quite the same thing..
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    You’re right, I stand corrected.
  • alex222
    Had my first ride on the new Farsports at the weekend, but could only get out for a one hour blast.

It ended up being windy and wet, and I definitely had to stay more switched on in the wind than I would with shallow rims. Braking was better than I had expected, although the ride was flat so I didn't have any descents to test them on.

All in all very pleased with them, and I felt faster (subjective I know). Getting a long ride down to Brighton and back this Sunday which should provide a better test.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I've had a set of 50mm (well, they say 51mm but what's 1mm between friends) tubeless disc brake wheels from DCR for about a year now. They are banging - look the nuts, no logos on the rims as I wanted, as others have said the sound is epic, no issues with crosswinds, and above all def give a faster ride. The service from DCR was impeccable, couldn't fault them one bit.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    I’ve got Knight Composite TLA 50mm on my Boardman. The logos are in black so it’s very subtle.
    Not sure about speed advantages but in my mind they are quicker.
  • cowboyjon
    cowboyjon Posts: 89
    I don't understand the 'I think they make me faster, but it might be in my head' type comments.

I'm looking for some decent cheap 50mm carbon disc wheels and the first thing I'll be doing when I eventually get them is heading straight out on my local loop to compare my average speed using good old Strava.

Or maybe I've got something wrong somewhere here?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited June 2019
    cowboyjon wrote:
    I don't understand the 'I think they make me faster, but it might be in my head' type comments.

I'm looking for some decent cheap 50mm carbon disc wheels and the first thing I'll be doing when I eventually get them is heading straight out on my local loop to compare my average speed using good old Strava.

I think it means that the gains they give you are at the margins so don't expect to increase your average speed by huge amounts just by switching to deeper rims alone. Aero gains are real but a good position on the bike and tight fitting clothing added together with deep rims fitted with the correct width tyre at the right pressure will help you realise any speed advantage.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    cowboyjon wrote:

I literally did as you said - went out early the next morning and went full beans around a regular training route, blasting PRs to bits !!!
  • cowboyjon
    cowboyjon Posts: 89
    cowboyjon wrote:

I literally did as you said - went out early the next morning and went full beans around a regular training route, blasting PRs to bits !!!

Now that's what I want to hear!

To me it isn't complicated. If I spend the cash and see zero (easily) quantifiable gains then it's been a complete waste of money.
  • alex222
    I've no doubt that they'll make me faster, but my first ride was so windy it's difficult to separate out their impact
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Rokt wrote:
    I would highly recommend http://www.zedbikewheels.com, they are well worth a close look.

I ride with a couple of mates that have the Extralite versions and they are beautifully made, nice and light, ride much better than my carbon Mavic’s and are a good bit cheaper.

What more could you ask for !

No mention of what hub and spokes they use?

The rims look nice but I’m guessing they use the same generic Chosen/Bitex hubs and Pillar spokes that the Chinese / Taiwanese builders use otherwise you’d mention you’re using something different / better.

It’s difficult not to knock these UK builders and I know you’ll get better support but you could replace a broken wheel 2 or 3 times over by buying direct.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack