New wheel advice

MarkH68
MarkH68 Posts: 10
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Hi all, please excuse what will probably turn out to be a basic question from someone who is not very mechanically minded.
I have had my Boardman road pro carbon for a year now having only come back to cycling 2 years before after a long long absence and I am not the most technical. I am thinking about changing the stock Boardman wheels for something a little lighter. I have disc brakes so I am assuming I will need disc specific wheels.
Chances are to get the work done I will goto a LBS or Cycle Republic which is where I got the bike from originally as I wouldn't feel confident changing all the bits over myself although it may depend on cost etc.
So my question is does anyone have any recommendations for some clinchers (I have 28mm Continental GP4000's on them at the moment) , budget about £300, wheel size is 700c.
Any help or pointers would be most appreciated.
Mark.

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    You're not going to get much of an upgrade for 300 quid, particularly if you're paying a shop to switch your cassette and discs across from your old wheels. If you can stretch your budget a bit I'd recommend some handbuilt disc specific wheels from Cycle Clinic or Spokesman Wheels. For around 400 pounds you'll get a nice set of alloy Kinlin rims or simi!ar that'll be lighter and stronger than your stock wheels and will be fully rebuildable with readily available and affordable spares. You will get lots of conflicting advice on here so I'd recommend ringing or emailing one of the above shops with your specific requirements, your weight and the intended use and somebody who makes a living out of it will build exactly what you need.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I’d ignore what shortfall said . He believes retailers offer best advice.

CAVEAT EMPTOR
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

CAVEAT EMPTOR

I think the above are both good retailers with a long track record. I own a set of wheels from Cycle Clinic and they are excellent. I think they will give good advice. Better than random internet bloke like Bottom Briquettes or whatever name he's got this week. :D
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Shortfall wrote:

CAVEAT EMPTOR

I think the above are both good retailers with a long track record. I own a set of wheels from Cycle Clinic and they are excellent. I think they will give good advice. Better than random internet bloke like Bottom Briquettes or whatever name he's got this week. :D
    Ah well almost certainly better than briquettes lololol
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you asked this question in 'buying advice' rather than the workshop forum, you'd get a few more replies...
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... less-ready is certainly one for the shortlist at a £300 budget.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Alexrims-CXD4- ... 107705.htm is much cheaper than Merlin and seem to get good reviews, if your bike has bolt-thru axles. If you need or want the q/r axle conversion kit, it will set you back another ~£32 https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Alexrims-Thru- ... 107708.htm
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MarkH68
    MarkH68 Posts: 10
    Thanks all. I don't use the forums much so I will post in the correct place. The advice so far has been helpful
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Seconded for Hunt wheels. I’ve just ordered a second pair of 4 Season disc wheels. Very impressed with Hunt. Great service, wheels are excellent and a great price - £319.00 delivered.