Velo North

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
Anyone doing this?
I'm very tempted...... but can't see any accommodation without remortgaging the house :roll: Guess the kids are off and its premium holiday rates.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    left the forum March 2023
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I’m doing it, I entered the day entries opened. I live in York so was just going to drive up on the morning, I didn’t realise you had to sign on the day before so now having to go up on the Saturday. I managed to book a Travelodge about 15 miles away for about £35 but this was back in March, no doubt all gone now.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    OH balls, we were just going to drive up on the day and ride, I think the signing on will just kill it off now.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • david7m
    OH balls, we were just going to drive up on the day and ride, I think the signing on will just kill it off now.

This is where I am now :( Somewhere decent in the centre with the family is over £300 for one night!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Holiday Inn at Durham Services got anything?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • homers_double
    david7m wrote:

This is where I am now :( Somewhere decent in the centre with the family is over £300 for one night!

Ride London, although it was a good wet day out turned out quite expensive what with entry fees, hotels, meals and beers in London etc.

We were kind of hoping this would be the same, but cheaper and closer.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited May 2019
    Why would a closed road mass participation sportive based in the North of the UK not be any different to a closed road mass participation sportive in the South of the UK? I've yet to attend one where collecting a race pack hasn't been the day before the event. They do this for two simple reason - to boost the local economy (which also means the hotel/B&B prices go up) and to stop the chaos of muppets who think they can turn up on the day, collect their race pack and ride.
  • thegreatdivide
    Some will also send out race packs for a premium fee.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    For RL - I've kept accommodation fees down by using my campervan ... food is then reasonable as you either just eat in the van or find a local pub who hasn't shuved up the prices ...

does help having a camper though ;)
  • thegreatdivide
    I need a camper van. It's on the cards.
  • david7m
    £10 off entry - use STRAVA at checkout.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I need a camper van. It's on the cards.

with separate toilet, shower, hot water & heating .... ;)
  • homers_double
    Why would a closed road mass participation sportive based in the North of the UK not be any different to a closed road mass participation sportive in the South of the UK?

I didn't expect it to be any different, it's just a lot closer and more convenient. My only issue was the collection of packs the day before and having only done one closed road even I didn't know it was the norm. I accepted RL because of the sheer volume of riders and the fact it was 250 miles away.

I ran the Manchester Marathon in April and all of the info was sent out the week prior by post.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • david7m
    If I had my time again with Brum Velo I would have paid for delivery rather 'wasting' half a day fetching the pack.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Strawberry Hill Camp site have some static caravans and are less than 10 minute drive to the start line. Lovely site.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    You might be able to get a room in the Travelodge on the A1 at Washington? Just a short drive in the morning to Durham.

i managed to get a room at the Travelodge in chester-le-Street, which is closer to Durham, but they have no availability now.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    15000 riders. Enjoy your day, it sounds like an awful lot of faffing to me though
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    VELOSTRAVA promo code for £25 discount, from e-mail earlier today telling me I didn't win one of the 100 free spots from the recent Strava challenge. Offer ends 9th June at midnight.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo