mud glorious mud

inkj
inkj Posts: 93
edited May 2019 in MTB buying advice
I've been cool up to now being splattered with mud [over my face]

But as I am now travelling to care for my mum each week - it would be nice to not be covered in dirt....

It seems the mud protector I have, is just throwing it all up and over me

I only have a front protector [and that's still where most of the mud is coming from] - I am begining to enjoy the taste of mud/poop

I have this:

Mucky Nutz Full Face Fender

I thought that there was some sort of 'protector' that goes on the frame... as with that on too - that might stop the onslaught. I have Halford Vouchers [so 'free' to buy stuff there] - but I wasn't sure what search I should do [online] - as I wasn't sure of the correct name...

Maybe I should get some rear guard too?

If anyone knows the correct name - for what I badly described

If anyone has any suggestions

And if anyone knows why the Mucky Nutz Full Face Fender does such a poor job

Thanks for any help/abuse

Best wishes

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I have a Crud Catcher on my frame, as well as a what you have on the front:

https://www.crudproducts.com/crudcatcher_/

It does help catch a lot of muck but any muddy puddles will still spray your legs etc.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    Well

At the moment it's hitting all over my face - I'm eating it... and afterwards looking like I'm part of a B&W minstrel act...

So if it kills the face flicks - I'm happy to have my legs sprayed....

I rarely go over an average speed of 11.4 MPH

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most mud that hits your face is flung forward off the top of the tyre and you then ride into it while it’s still airborne, you need quite a big mudguard to stop that and they don’t look good on an MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Have a look at the Mudhugger range, they come in different sizes and work. www.themudhugger.co.uk
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    The Rookie wrote:
    Most mud that hits your face is flung forward off the top of the tyre and you then ride into it while it’s still airborne

This. I run quite a large front guard on mine and it has all but eliminated muddy faceness - which is good because most of my muddy ride end in a pub - now I don't need to go and wash my face on arrival.

No, it doesn't look the best but I mostly ride in the dark when it's wet.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere