Carapaz +3:16
    Zakarin +3:32
    Yates +3:46
    Kangert +4:01
    Sivakov +4:11
    Lopez +4:29
    Chaves +4:30
    Landa +4:52
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Nibali recovered 20 seconds to Roglic on the climb... mountains will be fun

NOnsense... ignore....
    left the forum March 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,465
    Bit late to this... What the heck happened to Yates and Lopez?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited May 2019
    gsk82 wrote:
    Bit late to this... What the heck happened to Yates and Lopez?

Yates seems just to have blown up big time and Lopez had a puncture, but with folks questioning whether Campenaert's mech cost him the win, it doesn't account for his massive loss.

Roglic the only big GC name in the current top 10 and he is in second place.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Forum technical issues?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

NOnsense... ignore....

Yep. Roglic seemed to do most of the damage on the climb. Seems unstoppable (almost like Yates last year...)
  • blazing_saddles
    Random Eurosport interviewer with Roglic: Simon Yachts. :lol:
  • mididoctors
    Hugh Cathy can go long . A few of the GC guys need to get in a break . Jumbo are a bit depleted so control nay be a issue after a couple of mountain stages
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Not only Nibali took back time on Roglic during the climb (24 secs), Mollema took back 35 secs, Carapaz 27 secs, and 5-6 others between 5 and 20 secs (e.g. Majka, Kangert, Carthy).
  • blazing_saddles
    knedlicky wrote:
    Not only Nibali took back time on Roglic during the climb (24 secs), Mollema took back 35 secs, Carapaz 27 secs, and 5-6 others between 5 and 20 secs (e.g. Majka, Kangert, Carthy).

Not sure where you pulled those from, cos they sure don't tally with these:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =958843752

Which gives us these climbing times:

Roglic 24'-11"
    Mollema +16"
    Carapaz +24"
    Nibali +27"
    Carthy +29"
    Kangert +31"
    Majka +32"
    Jungels +46"
    Bilbao +48"
    Zakarin +58"
    Landa +1'-11"
    Formolo +1'-18"
    Chaves +1-18"
    Lopez +1'-33"
    Yates +2-23"
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Vincenzo!
    Vincenzo!
    Vincenzo!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Large slice of humble pie for Yates after his boxer-style trash talk
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Cycling Fans: SHOW SOME PERSONALITY!

Cyclists: I...

Cycling Fans: NO! NOT LIKE THAT!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    ddraver wrote:
    Cycling Fans: SHOW SOME PERSONALITY!

Cyclists: I...

Cycling Fans: NO! NOT LIKE THAT!!!

It's not bragging if you can back it up
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    hmmmm i dont know what to make of all this. The giro seems a bot one sided now. :(

however..... its the giro there are always surprises :)
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    hmmmm i dont know what to make of all this. The giro seems a bot one sided now. :(

Yep, anyone thinking it's over now, or going to be at all straightforward for Roglic, must be watching their first giro
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,465
    ShutupJens wrote:

Yep, anyone thinking it's over now, or going to be at all straightforward for Roglic, must be watching their first giro

Hopefully his team will s**t the bed chasing the guys at 3 and 4 minutes and leave him isolated. Unfortunately even an inexperienced team are unlikely to chase guys that far off
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    Not sure where you pulled those from, cos they sure don't tally with these:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =958843752
    Sorry, my error – in my haste I mistakenly considered the 2nd intermediate deficits as compared to Roglic whereas they were compared to Campanaerts.
    Nonetheless, the correct figures still show Nibali, Mollema and Carapaz are able to contest Roglic on the hills - although Mollema so often eventually disappoints.
  • knedlicky
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Nothing against Roglic, but he's faded a little in the last week of longer races before, while his team isn't the strongest for the mountains.
    And if Caruso and Pozzovivo (Bahrain) and Izaguire und Bilbao (Astana) can put the hammer down in the mountains …. not to mention the duo Majka and Formolo (Bora), and also Carapaz (Movistar) - maybe even someone from Mitchelton (not necessarily Yates this year).

If the teams have done their homework, I'd think possible the coming week might actually decide the final maglia rosa (and maglia ciclamino too), so the last week will only be the refining of the other podium places.
  • mididoctors
    Gweeds wrote:
    blew up big time. Is he I'll?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    ‘Bad sensations’ on the climb apparently.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    knedlicky wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Nothing against Roglic, but he's faded a little in the last week of longer races before, while his team isn't the strongest for the mountains.

Very true.
    He definitely faded in the stage 20 ITT at the Tour, after winning stage 19. :P
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I think the interesting twist could be that there are half a dozen riders who need to do a Froome 2018. It might become uncontrollable for Jumbo. I expect an Astana masterclass.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Gweeds wrote:

Might just go sh!t when it’s cold....

I really suffer from it too.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    The Giro has been pretty boring up so far, but I still think it could be set up for some fireworks. Everyone Vs Roglic, who has the weakest/most depleted team and the least experience of racing a Giro...it might still come good.

Interesting about Yates, looked like he was doing ok in the TT, until he wasn't.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    knedlicky wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

Very true.
    He definitely faded in the stage 20 ITT at the Tour, after winning stage 19. :P

Isn't that the point? He's supposed to be a time triallist and yet he had a terrible TT at the end of last year's tour. He won stage 19 by taking risks on the descent that TomDum wouldn't.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Wasn't he motorpaced a bit as well?
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Wasn't he motorpaced a bit as well?

From Tom D on Roglic's win:

"Roglic was the strongest today, and a lot of respect for his victory. But he was flying downhill, and eventually I got dropped on a straight part just because he was on his tube and full in the slipstream of the motorbike. I was sprinting to his wheel and I couldn't get any closer. I just got dropped on the only straight part of the downhill. It's ridiculous really.

[Will you file a protest?]

It makes no sense anyway.

[Are you happy with what happened at the end?]

No, of course not. I'm fucking pissed."
  • mididoctors
    joey54321 wrote:
    The Giro has been pretty boring up so far
    well it's unlikely to get worse after thursday
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    Gweeds wrote:

Might just go sh!t when it’s cold....

I really suffer from it too.

Same for me. Even gets to me when it’s 30 degrees outside.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****