Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

I don't like mondays

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,721
edited May 2019 in The bottom bracket
Morning. Work, rest and play today
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
«1

Posts

  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, the same for me oxoman, but with no work
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,778
    'ning

    brrr looks nippy

    gmc, coffee, delete lots of emails without reading, have a natter, early bail
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,590
    Morning,

    I like Mondays but only when it's lovely and clear and sunny and I can ride my bike.

    Couldn't be bothered taking my bike to the MFs so went to Tesco first thing and used the jet wash :twisted: , then parked up and rode to the office to dry it out. I went a different route and caught up with someone else from the office riding to work which was fun.

    Deathly quiet in the office this morning, I guess it's still a bit early.
    oxoman wrote:
    Morning. Work, rest and play today
    I quite fancy a Mars bar for breakfast too.
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,055
    As the current wife is away I had to wake children and therefore left later than usual yet still didn’t have any traffic - thought I had found a new time sweet spot, turns out the M6 was closed further up.

    Later will be Bike’s as legs are trashed from running yesterday
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Legs dead on the commute, so enjoyed the sunshine.

    Short week, Barcelona on Friday. :D
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    Morning, inhaling protein an veg after yesterdays Sportive that was actually a race. very achey to say the least (50 miles in 2hrs 42). an someones brought disease to the office so they need finding dousing in disinfectant and burning for everyone else's safety
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,934
    Had a nice sunny pre work ride, 35pointsomething K's.

    2 T5s and I'm off my tits.

    Happy daze...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    sun shining, chilled day planned, huge door off double shed falls on someone. claret everywhere.

    ffs people, stop hurting yourselves and get that door repaired.

    now time for coffee

    #door
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,665 Lives Here
    Morning folks,
    Very snoozy today after a heavy weekend, good fun though. Pleasant enough wobble in even though it was a little chilly, nice to have a bit of sunshine. Bike's developed a click though, very irritating.
    Good going Step, better than my 3 hours to do 30 miles. But I was bimbling on tow paths. Unfortunately H³ has shamed us with his pace over the weekend. Makes it look like he actually rides a bike rather than just talking about it.
    Busy day today so should probably get on with it. I've dealt with 30 of the 120 emails that have landed since Thursday, I might just start telling people to fook off again.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,737
    Step83 wrote:
    ...(50 miles in 2hrs 42)...

    1.4 mph slower than Hoppy. How on earth is he supposed to be motivated to loose some lbs if you go posting dawdles like that?! :roll:

    Today has been so far taken up with admin, a run around, some phone calls and dealing with a pesky SRS (air bag) warning light before the MOT.

    All the above was a compromise so f*ck it, i'm off for a pedal.

    Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    Yeah Kind of get put into the shade so to speak on that one... Dam H3 being speedy!
    Got utterly rinsed by a couple of guys on TT bikes and some racing snake. Still I did more climbing maybe? 622M 2040.5ft climbing? Crappy wattage though maxed 768W weighted average of 171W which is bang on my FTP weirdly.

    Used the whooshy carbons though all black kit and a silly cap an had a couple of people compliment the bike so win win there I think? Maybe I need aero bars but then they do melt in the heat.

    If the lights on the porky, just take the bulb out? Used to be what we did in the past, or some leccy tape over the inside of the dash panel to hide it, if its not lit it cant fail, unless its ah headlight bulb.
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,426
    Visit to osteopath this morning, who beat the [email protected] outta me for a while, then took my money. Seems fair.

    Afternoon of work but at least I was sitting in a sunny spot and spent an hour on conference call with the mic on mute and a vacant stare into the distance on my face. Another call scheduled this evening to talk to the Eurotrash division. Must refresh my whisky glass before that one starts...
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,806
    Pinno wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    ...(50 miles in 2hrs 42)...

    1.4 mph slower than Hoppy. How on earth is he supposed to be motivated to loose some lbs if you go posting dawdles like that?! :roll:
    I suppose I'd best not post my times otherwise he'll end up like 'Mr. Creosote' from Monty Python. That's if I knew what they were, some things are best not known.

    I normally don't like Mondays but I'll make an exception today as (a) it's bonus day, (b) they've just passed Lucy's Law (should keep Pinno happy as well) and (c) I'm off to a free seminar this afternoon which kinda beats working.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,590
    Visit to osteopath this morning, who beat the [email protected] outta me for a while, then took my money. Seems fair.
    Are you sure it was an osteopath?
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,806
    Visit to osteopath this morning, who beat the [email protected] outta me for a while, then took my money. Seems fair.
    Are you sure it was an osteopath?
    :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,426
    Visit to osteopath this morning, who beat the [email protected] outta me for a while, then took my money. Seems fair.
    Are you sure it was an osteopath?
    Yes, sadly, very sure :D
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Step83 wrote:

    Still I did more climbing maybe? 622M 2040.5ft climbing?

    Maybe I need aero bars but then they do melt in the heat.

    1,850m according to my wahoo/strava. However, I suspect that is a an over read, as most of the other rides I have seen over the same course were between 1,500 and 1,600 metres elevation.

    Closed roads and joining in with fast chain gangs (until their relentless pace up hills spat me out the back) is what contributed to my reasonable pace. I took my turns on the flat, but would move back through the group steadily on anything sustained and steeper than false flat until I was hanging on for grim death/dropped. I was OK on short, punchy steepish climbs though.

    You don't need aero bars - when the road is straight and smooth just do that thing the pros do where you rest your forearms on the tops, with the option to wrap your hands round the front of the drops. I tried it yesterday, and it seemed to make maintaining a decent pace much easier. I expect I didn't look like a pro though, what with my gut resting on the top tube... :lol:

    It was a good day out, and it was weird being cheered on by random Brummies with cowbells etc - I felt obliged to wave and grin a lot to acknowledge the crowds.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,737
    edited May 2019
    Step83 wrote:
    If the lights on the porky, just take the bulb out? Used to be what we did in the past, or some leccy tape over the inside of the dash panel to hide it, if its not lit it cant fail, unless its ah headlight bulb.

    No airbag in the Porker. The porker is easier to work on than the Merc. Fault is in the Merc (C class). I took the bulb out for the MOT. I could solder a 3ohm resistor and bridge the live feed into the steering wheel or else replace the lot (no thanks).
    The things you have to do as the circuitry deteriorates... :roll: She'll be 24 years old this year.
    E classes of the same era are notorious for electronic failures. They really are pigs to diagnose/fix.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,806
    hopkinb wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

    Still I did more climbing maybe? 622M 2040.5ft climbing?

    Maybe I need aero bars but then they do melt in the heat.

    1,850m according to my wahoo/strava. However, I suspect that is a an over read, as most of the other rides I have seen over the same course were between 1,500 and 1,600 metres elevation.

    Closed roads and joining in with fast chain gangs (until their relentless pace up hills spat me out the back) is what contributed to my reasonable pace. I took my turns on the flat, but would move back through the group steadily on anything sustained and steeper than false flat until I was hanging on for grim death/dropped. I was OK on short, punchy steepish climbs though.

    You don't need aero bars - when the road is straight and smooth just do that thing the pros do where you rest your forearms on the tops, with the option to wrap your hands round the front of the drops. I tried it yesterday, and it seemed to make maintaining a decent pace much easier. I expect I didn't look like a pro though, what with my gut resting on the top tube... :lol:

    It was a good day out, and it was weird being cheered on by random Brummies with cowbells etc - I felt obliged to wave and grin a lot to acknowledge the crowds.
    Back to reality - just seen your name on the attendee list for the seminar I've just rolled up at. Are you skiving this afternoon as well?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Nice day here - cycled in to work which was good - 23 miles in 1 hour 19 minutes so lettign the side down it would seem!

    not been doing too great mentally recently but feeling loads better today - no real rhyme or reason to it (that i can work out at least!) but not going to complain and just enjoy the good days while they are here!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

    Still I did more climbing maybe? 622M 2040.5ft climbing?

    Maybe I need aero bars but then they do melt in the heat.

    1,850m according to my wahoo/strava. However, I suspect that is a an over read, as most of the other rides I have seen over the same course were between 1,500 and 1,600 metres elevation.

    Closed roads and joining in with fast chain gangs (until their relentless pace up hills spat me out the back) is what contributed to my reasonable pace. I took my turns on the flat, but would move back through the group steadily on anything sustained and steeper than false flat until I was hanging on for grim death/dropped. I was OK on short, punchy steepish climbs though.

    You don't need aero bars - when the road is straight and smooth just do that thing the pros do where you rest your forearms on the tops, with the option to wrap your hands round the front of the drops. I tried it yesterday, and it seemed to make maintaining a decent pace much easier. I expect I didn't look like a pro though, what with my gut resting on the top tube... :lol:

    It was a good day out, and it was weird being cheered on by random Brummies with cowbells etc - I felt obliged to wave and grin a lot to acknowledge the crowds.
    Back to reality - just seen your name on the attendee list for the seminar I've just rolled up at. Are you skiving this afternoon as well?

    censored - forgot to put it on my calendar...
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    Yeah mine was a mere mole hill, East Anglia after all. I think my problem was I was too fast for the slower groups but not fast enough for the fast ones I could break one to try an reach a faster group but just watch them scurry off in the distance.
    Like you im shoot on hills though an I deliberately didnt push one them trying to make up time on the decents an flats.

    Aero bars I'd venture the sugar rush may help but the question over plain vs mint remains, orange is just wrong IMO

    I remember doing ToC, You may have had the same randoms on the route sat out with a bottle of bubbly at a patio table really surreal. Closed road events are great though. You do feel obliged to wave at them though cheering you on, an the impromptu race that starts at the 1KM bell.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,737
    I went for an early, early start at the Etape Caledonia (lied about my approximate time) so that I could guarantee a passing group/cyclist to latch on to.
    But the whippets in those early groups took off like rockets.

    For the climbers like me, trying to stay on a wheel on the flat when the hammer went down was just murder. That few inch gap to the guy in front would just grow, your lungs wanted to give in and your eyes pop out and there was nothing you could do except pray the pace relents just a little.
    ...then you hit a false flat.
    I used to curse the riders who frequented Herne Hill/Preston Park. I could be sprinting flat out off the saddle and they would spin past me sitting down.

    Dull at the Giro today. A few spills though. Probably another boring bunch sprint.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Chris Bass wrote:
    but not going to complain and just enjoy the good days while they are here!

    That's half the battle won then! Recognise the good days and appreciate them. :)
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,665 Lives Here
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Back to reality - just seen your name on the attendee list for the seminar I've just rolled up at. Are you skiving this afternoon as well?
    censored - forgot to put it on my calendar...
    :lol:

    That's still quicker than my commuting pace CB, any other pace of mine come to that. Sorry to hear you've not been doing so well lately, glad today is a good day.
    It's lovely out now, I'd go round RP on the way home but I need to get home a bit sharpish tonight to sort a couple of things out.
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,934
    I'd love to go out again tonight but I've got stuff to do :(
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,737
    I'd love to go out again tonight but I've got stuff to do :(

    The next opportunity you have to go out on your bike - it will rain.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,806
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Back to reality - just seen your name on the attendee list for the seminar I've just rolled up at. Are you skiving this afternoon as well?
    censored - forgot to put it on my calendar...
    :lol:

    That's still quicker than my commuting pace CB, any other pace of mine come to that. Sorry to hear you've not been doing so well lately, glad today is a good day.
    It's lovely out now, I'd go round RP on the way home but I need to get home a bit sharpish tonight to sort a couple of things out.
    Even better, met someone there who works at Hoppy's place and she told me all about him :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Back to reality - just seen your name on the attendee list for the seminar I've just rolled up at. Are you skiving this afternoon as well?
    censored - forgot to put it on my calendar...
    :lol:

    That's still quicker than my commuting pace CB, any other pace of mine come to that. Sorry to hear you've not been doing so well lately, glad today is a good day.
    It's lovely out now, I'd go round RP on the way home but I need to get home a bit sharpish tonight to sort a couple of things out.
    Even better, met someone there who works at Hoppy's place and she told me all about him :P

    any pics of her norks?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,806
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Back to reality - just seen your name on the attendee list for the seminar I've just rolled up at. Are you skiving this afternoon as well?
    censored - forgot to put it on my calendar...
    :lol:

    That's still quicker than my commuting pace CB, any other pace of mine come to that. Sorry to hear you've not been doing so well lately, glad today is a good day.
    It's lovely out now, I'd go round RP on the way home but I need to get home a bit sharpish tonight to sort a couple of things out.
    Even better, met someone there who works at Hoppy's place and she told me all about him :P

    any pics of her norks?
    You'd better ask Hoppy :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
Sign In or Register to comment.