Di2 upgrade - 10 —> 11 speed

kal800
kal800 Posts: 6
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a first generation 10 speed Dura Ace Di2 groupset. As some problems began to appear and availability of parts is slowly getting worse, I’ve come to an idea to refresh it a bit. I am not really eager to buy entire groupset at once, and I would like to ask whether it is possible to do it partially. Of course, shifters, both derailleurs, cabling and battery should be replaced - both groupsets are not compatible at all, but I’m wondering if it would be possible to retain both brakes and crank. Especially crank is some kind of a deal, as I have Stages power meter fitted on the left crank. Any ideas if that’s workable?

Kal

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yes - it will be fine.

you may need to change chainrings dependant on wear when fitting new chain and 11 speed cassette
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Yes. Essentially you just need a Di2 upgrade kit. You can use your old 10-speed brakes and crankset. The difference between 10 and 11-speed chain rings is minimal and you can mix them without issue.

I've heard reports of people replacing both 10-speed Di2 derailleurs with 11-speed derailleurs and having it work, but can't confirm that and would hazard a guess it's not that simple.
  • kal800
    kal800 Posts: 6
    you mean 11 speed ders with 10 speed shifters?
  • Yes. Essentially you just need a Di2 upgrade kit. You can use your old 10-speed brakes and crankset. The difference between 10 and 11-speed chain rings is minimal and you can mix them without issue.

I've heard reports of people replacing both 10-speed Di2 derailleurs with 11-speed derailleurs and having it work, but can't confirm that and would hazard a guess it's not that simple.

Doesn't work with Dura Ace 10 speed - it's a completely different electronics system.