Road bike to hybrid.

darrell1967
darrell1967 Posts: 470
edited May 2019 in Road general
I’ve got bundles of parts at home and was wondering if I could build a hybrid using a road bike frame. Or is it all about angles these days?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There's only one way to find out...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yep, you can.

Whether the geometry works will depend on the shape of both you and the frame, although you can get stems in a lot of sizes and angles to help.
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    I had a Bianchi Camaleonte hybrid bike a few years back. The frame was exactly the same as the Via Nirone 7, which is a reasonably sporty road bike.

The main compromise was an adjustable stem - besides that and the flat bars it was the same bike.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    Thanks for the positive comments.
    I’ve got a Boardman cyclocross frame in very good nick and it takes discs which is what I’m after. An adjustable stem is a concern due to it looking bloody ugly but I suppose I can simply play about with the stems that I’ve got and see what happens.
    I’ve looked at the stance of a few hybrids on-line and they all look a bit “sit up and beg” to me. My daughter has a Boardman Comp hybrid and the bars definitely look lower than the saddle.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I bought a Moda Chord hybrid and turned it into a really great road bike, still use it as my winter bike. It has the same frame as one of their CX models so really suited my use for it. Not all frames would be suited though I don't think.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise