Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Sports Direct being closed this time round during lockdown lite but open last time during a more stringent lockdown.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited November 2020
    Does the world really need an "eco friendly" bicycle jersey? Do cyclist's really buy this kind of stuff because it's good for the planet?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    dennisn said:

Does the world really need an "eco friendly" bicycle jersey? Do cyclist's really buy this kind of stuff because it's good for the planet?

1. Yes. 2. No.
    We need eco everything for the good of the future generations.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dennisn
    Is the world stuck with Velcro for the foreseeable future? Seems to be everywhere. I for one am sick of it and need another option. Can't some brainy nerd come up with something. There's millions in it.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    dennisn said:

Is the world stuck with Velcro for the foreseeable future? Seems to be everywhere. I for one am sick of it and need another option. Can't some brainy nerd come up with something. There's millions in it.

Laces! You should try shoes with laces. Not that hard. Give it a go. ;)
  • dennisn
    Harry182 said:

dennisn said:

Laces! You should try shoes with laces. Not that hard. Give it a go. ;)
    Wasn't particularly moaning about velcro in shoes. More the Velcro on just about everything else, especially clothing.
  • dennisn
    Has anyone put ceramic bearings in their headsets ? And why?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,535
    Pfft if you have the skills for that job you can get a better one in London for £70k.
  • ballysmate
    Was more intrigued how the nanny has to move out every other week so that the other nanny moves in.
    Why have kids if you want nowt to do with them?
  • rick_chasey
    I am genuinely intrigued in what impact people think their work presentations actually have.

Doubly so at conferences.
  • pblakeney
    I thought conferences were just an excuse for an expenses paid jolly.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

All online innit
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,450

Was more intrigued how the nanny has to move out every other week so that the other nanny moves in.
    Why have kids if you want nowt to do with them?

Gotta keep that family line going haven't they.
  • I am genuinely intrigued in what impact people think their work presentations actually have.

Doubly so at conferences.

I sit on a committee making investment decisions and I have raised the point that we chose people because they are good at presenting. This is obviously off an approved list but yes it makes a difference.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

All online innit
    No point then, unless someone is brown nosing for promotion.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,902

pblakeney said:

All online innit
    The recent two day, free, all online engineering conference I attended certainly was a bit of a head scratcher. It was set up such that there was no live feedback from audience to presenter. Which meant absolutely no q and a.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,670
    Is this a real thing? Was wondering why our 'Texan' 'friend' can gone quiet. Does this mean there is actual moderation work going on in BR? Aw shucks.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,843
    orraloon said:

Is this a real thing? Was wondering why our 'Texan' 'friend' can gone quiet. Does this mean there is actual moderation work going on in BR? Aw shucks.

Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't a Texan after all... hard to believe, but...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    This place would get pretty dull if all the benign trolls were banned.
    Pity they can't ban certain protagonists in the Brexit thread for using certain terminology referring to people with learning disabilities in a certain way.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,450

orraloon said:

Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't a Texan after all... hard to believe, but...
    No way, he used "y'all" regularly. How much more genuine could he be?
  • dennisn
    How many bottles of brand name lubes, half used, does the typical anal cyclists have if he / she is constantly buying the next lube of the week?
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

All online innit
    Fairly gigantic exception there.
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2020

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

All online innit
    Primary reason for me avoiding those events. Those people.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    Caught a bit of a programme last night about Cornwall/climate change/flooding/pollution. Don't know the name.

Part of the programme concerned the introduction of beaver and the effect it had on the environment. Their dam building had a dramatic effect on the reduction of flooding in the local village as well as creating a habitat for more diverse wildlife.

This is the project

https://www.cornwallwildlifetrust.org.uk/what-we-do/our-conservation-work/on-land/cornwall-beaver-project

Perhaps a cost effective way of helping to reduce flooding in some areas which are susceptible?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    dennisn said:

How many bottles of brand name lubes, half used, does the typical censored cyclists have if he / she is constantly buying the next lube of the week?

That would depend on how often you ride your bike, how dirty it gets and how often you have to clean it. Maybe you should ride a bit more and see what happens.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294

Caught a bit of a programme last night about Cornwall/climate change/flooding/pollution. Don't know the name.

Part of the programme concerned the introduction of beaver and the effect it had on the environment. Their dam building had a dramatic effect on the reduction of flooding in the local village as well as creating a habitat for more diverse wildlife.

This is the project

https://www.cornwallwildlifetrust.org.uk/what-we-do/our-conservation-work/on-land/cornwall-beaver-project

Perhaps a cost effective way of helping to reduce flooding in some areas which are susceptible?

I was walking along Beverley Brook on Wimbledon Common a while ago, I used to ride my bike along there a lot as a kid, and it's had a lot of attention along that stretch. There was a sign saying the name derivates from beaver brook and whilst it had been a particularly dull stretch of water along there they were trying to replicate the effect of beavers. It had been made to run in a straight line for a little over a mile with man made banks and barge boards to control it. Lots of tree cover so it and the path alongside were very dark. They have cut down some of the trees and made artificial beaver dams to create a few deeper pools, other branches have been put in the water to disrupt the flow and make it meander more. The barge boards have been removed and generally there is more light down there. I was impressed, made it quite a bit nicer although I'm sure the path will still be a quagmire through winter.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

All online innit
    Primary reason for me avoiding those events. Those people.
    Why do you think I was 'attending' a conference?
  • ballysmate

This is the project

I was walking along Beverley Brook on Wimbledon Common a while ago, I used to ride my bike along there a lot as a kid, and it's had a lot of attention along that stretch. There was a sign saying the name derivates from beaver brook and whilst it had been a particularly dull stretch of water along there they were trying to replicate the effect of beavers. It had been made to run in a straight line for a little over a mile with man made banks and barge boards to control it. Lots of tree cover so it and the path alongside were very dark. They have cut down some of the trees and made artificial beaver dams to create a few deeper pools, other branches have been put in the water to disrupt the flow and make it meander more. The barge boards have been removed and generally there is more light down there. I was impressed, made it quite a bit nicer although I'm sure the path will still be a quagmire through winter.
    Would furry animals have been cheaper?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,843

This is the project

Would furry animals have been cheaper?

Beavers on the Otter:

https://www.devonwildlifetrust.org/what-we-do/our-projects/river-otter-beaver-trial