Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Nadal winning 13, 13! French Opens and equalling Federer's 20 grand slams!

What intrigues me is Nadal, Federer and Djokovic (17 GS) run of form with no real challenge from a new generation.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    That SIS gels are ~£1 each on their website inc their save 30% (plus delivery) while I bought some in Costco at 55p each, 2x7 variety pack. Might just use Costco, esp as I'll be there prepping for the Brexsh!t fun 'n' games.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Curious if the quality of my posts improve or not as a result of only using one hand, so keeping them short.

Will see in 6 weeks
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

Curious if the quality of my posts improve or not as a result of only using one hand, so keeping them short.

Will see in 6 weeks

Not sure that I want to know what you are doing with your other hand! 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Not sure where to put this so this will do.

BBC has a video article on a parkour YouTube channel celebrating 10 years.

A warning appears stating. “Contains behaviour that could be imitated”.

I’d have thought the bigger problem is that the behaviour can’t be imitated.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    How is it that the average cyclist decides what pair of shades to wear / buy? I wear glasses and have to have my wife tell me what looks good on me. How is it possible for any man to pick out a pair. It would seem that all men like to think they have good taste but I really have my doubts that very many do. Just can't see how any man could possibly pick from the, apparently, hundreds of manufacturers, weird styles, obscure claims, fancy colors, celeb endorsements, etc., etc.
  • orraloon
    If the average cyclist is suckered into paying shed loads for some designer branded boxxox then the average cyclist needs to have a strong word with her/himself.

Para mi, Bolle safety glasses. PPE, cheap and oh yeah look cool...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865
    orraloon said:

If the average cyclist is suckered into paying shed loads for some designer branded boxxox then the average cyclist needs to have a strong word with her/himself.

Have you seen the price of Bolle sunglasses lately? Erm...
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Pfft.....
    Just squint a bit when the sun is dazzling.
    Who needs overpriced plastic tat anyway?
  • pblakeney
    Cargobike said:

Pfft.....
    Just squint a bit when the sun is dazzling.
    Who needs overpriced plastic tat anyway?

I only needed to get a bluebottle in the eye once to think they are a good idea.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    I just use my god-like bike handling skills to dodge every bluebottle I encounter.
  • My son’s mad mate likes going on the shore at Putney at low tide and collecting bones. How many bones are there? Well the bag got too heavy and they had to leave some behind.

I can see how some bones could end up in the Thames but that many intrigues me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

orraloon said:

Mine were free. I had to do some work on a site where they were compulsory even though I was getting driven around jumping out for a few seconds every now and again to take photos. The Contractor gave them to me. I guess they're a drop in the ocean on a £20 billion pound job though.
  • orraloon

orraloon said:

£9.49 Toolstation Bolle Contour Smoke. Which is a bit more than I paid some months ago I grant you.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited October 2020
    OK. So most of you have them but got them cheap or free? Who is buying these things from God knows how many manufacturer's and why? How do these purveyors of bright plastic stay in business? Or is bright plastic the key? I mean they are just shades.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

orraloon said:

£9.49 Toolstation Bolle Contour Smoke. Which is a bit more than I paid some months ago I grant you.

Aha, OK. eBay is obviously not the place to look then...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    edited October 2020
    dennisn said:

OK. So most of you have them but got them cheap or free? Who is buying these things from God knows how many manufacturer's and why? How do these purveyors of bright plastic stay in business? Or is bright plastic the key? I mean they are just shades.

Vanity, my friend.

And some small details that do add up to a superior product. Lens clarity - arm grippers, ease of cleaning etc
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2020

dennisn said:

Vanity, my friend.

And some small details that do add up to a superior product. Lens clarity - arm grippers, ease of cleaning etc
    But mostly the prescription in my case...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    orraloon said:

Oi - I think you have me to thank for that recommendation..
    Anyhoo - forked out for the polarized version at a staggering £27.
    Really come into their own when you have that low sun (occasionally) glaring off damp roads.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

Really come into their own when you have that low sun (occasionally) glaring off damp roads.

Yeah, polarised all the way.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    I don’t “do” television much at all these days, but I was intrigued to see a promo ad on the other day for Season 2 of... “The Rookie”?

Surely after season 1 the main protagonist is no longer one?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • briantrumpet

I don’t “do” television much at all these days, but I was intrigued to see a promo ad on the other day for Season 2 of... “The Rookie”?

Surely after season 1 the main protagonist is no longer one?

He/she's never done a Season 2 before...
  • orraloon
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

Aye, true dat.

Plus could have done with polarisers on today's ride, exactly that low sun and reflections off the road, swopped back and forth between clear and smoked.
  • orraloon
    That someone can accidentally strangle another person, in a car, in a pub carpark...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-54693540
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    orraloon said:

That someone can accidentally strangle another person, in a car, in a pub carpark...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-54693540

When I first saw it I figured it was rough sex gone wrong type thing, but he 'accidentally' strangled her to death whilst having an argument in a car.
  • pblakeney
    Definitely not trivial, and I cannot help but think the leniency is due to his job.
    Bad, whichever way you look at it. 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I suspect that they couldn’t prove he intended to kill her. So therefore it becomes manslaughter.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2020
    webboo said:

I suspect that they couldn’t prove he intended to kill her. So therefore it becomes manslaughter.

"He said when Mrs Parry refused to leave his car he tried to pull her out before he "bundled" into the vehicle in an attempt to push her.
    The defendant said his arm "must have slipped up in all the melee" and that he left the car without realising Mrs Parry was "poorly".
    Mrs Parry, from Bournemouth, died in hospital the following day from a brain injury caused by compression of the neck."

Didn't realise that she was poorly? I don't believe his testimony but can't prove otherwise. You are more charitable than I am, and legally correct. Intent is hard to prove.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I wasn’t being charitable I was offering a reason why he wasn’t convicted of murder. Clearly he’s the lowest of the low. One can hope that as an ex police officer in prison he may get retribution.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Well if the judge has doubts they can still hand out a life sentence even for manslaughter.