Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Lots of executive cars, not many lorries considering how much faster/predictable it is, but then again it's £6.70 each way for a car.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    I would suggest fewer trucks as their margins are tiny as it is.
    Perhaps fewer delivery vans for the same reason.

...and less chav's of course. £6.70 is a packet of fags innit?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Owned by IFM Investors, an Australian investment management company owned by Aussie pension funds. And there is no statutory cap on toll rates. Deal put in place by, yes you guessed it, a Conjob government.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm intrigued by socks that are (supposedly and labeled so) for your right or left foot. This definitely seems an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. Now, I do understand the motive behind it all. Make money for sock manufacturers. After all, athletes seem to have tons of disposable income and seem to believe anything a pretty ad in a magazine tells them. Wish I had thought of it. For whatever reasons my mind just can't fathom why people would believe in this kind of thing. Let alone buy it.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Owned by IFM Investors, an Australian investment management company owned by Aussie pension funds. And there is no statutory cap on toll rates. Deal put in place by, yes you guessed it, a Conjob government.

Yeahbut, they're part of the Commonwealth innit.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    dennisn said:

I'm intrigued by socks that are (supposedly and labeled so) for your right or left foot. This definitely seems an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. Now, I do understand the motive behind it all. Make money for sock manufacturers. After all, athletes seem to have tons of disposable income and seem to believe anything a pretty ad in a magazine tells them. Wish I had thought of it. For whatever reasons my mind just can't fathom why people would believe in this kind of thing. Let alone buy it.

But you're ok with shoes being designed for the left and right foot - or do you struggle with that concept as well?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    dennisn said:

My running socks are right and left foot, they provide a far better fit and less likelihood of getting blisters. I also have a pair of toe socks, they take some getting used to but again help reduce blisters from toes rubbing against each other especially on technical off-road runs.
  • pinno
    Shoes don't bend like socks.
    I hate running.
    I've never bothered with left or right foot placement of socks.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    pinno said:

I hate running.

Do your underpants have a front and a back - or have you never noticed?

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    edited November 2019

pinno said:

I hate running.

Is this the right time to mention the vulgar C&A pants joke :smiley:
  • pinno

pinno said:

I hate running.

I wear them back to front, inside out and I rotate every week.
    Save's washing them

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    david7m said:

pinno said:

I hate running.

Go on then :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    orraloon said:

So what? No-one is forced to use it. In this particular case there are a number of alternative routes so it isn't as though it's the only way to avoid Birmingham.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179

There are 6,000 households in the UK that still have only a black and white TV licence.

does that mean they can only get the internet in black and white too?
    FCN = 4
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    david7m said:

pinno said:

I hate running.

I prefer the Clement Freud underpants joke myself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yHx8y1rFjdk&list=PLVidZL77qQEeIUvVr0X0qyndadXqmYwFR&index=2&t=0s
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Do we have the return of the Post Deletion Fairy?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    why, when quoting the tweet, did they star out the swearing but then displayed it in the tweet uncensored?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-harry-ramsden-workers-incredible-17292429.amp
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    1. Working classes voting Conservative.

2. How on earth it took my mate 20mins to change a flat on Sunday!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    ben6899 said:

I've been shocked by the amount of people in places up north that they've interviewed in recent days openly saying in front of their friends that they are going to vote Tory. Brexit seems to be the only real reason though.

That said, my dad has always voted Tory and was a printer all his working life. I've never fully understood why (he hates Unions as well).
  • Ask him...
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Pross said:

dennisn said:

My running socks are right and left foot, they provide a far better fit and less likelihood of getting blisters. I also have a pair of toe socks, they take some getting used to but again help reduce blisters from toes rubbing against each other especially on technical off-road runs.

I had L&R running socks too. I often had them on the wrong way. Didn't make any difference - I rarely get blisters anyway.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    ben6899 said:

Really? You're intrigued that the world doesn't neatly divide into tribes?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ben6899
    rjsterry said:

ben6899 said:

Really? You're intrigued that the world doesn't neatly divide into tribes?
    That's not what I said.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rjsterry
    Fair enough. What were you getting at then?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ben6899
    rjsterry said:

I quite innocently and genuinely don't understand why your average workking class person would prefer a Tory government.

People who rent a home, rent a car, live from one wage to the next to manage all of that (hopefully)... the Tories don't give a toss about those people.
    Ben

• rjsterry
    ben6899 said:

rjsterry said:

I quite innocently and genuinely don't understand why your average workking class person would prefer a Tory government.

People who rent a home, rent a car, live from one wage to the next to manage all of that (hopefully)... the Tories don't give a toss about those people.
    If the last 3 years prove anything it is that the Tories are not a single homogeneous group. Also, a lot of people who identify as working class are also self-employed tradesmen, perhaps with socially conservative views. It's not difficult to see why Labour might seem just as irrelevant to them with its talk of unions and internationalism.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

dennisn said:

But you're ok with shoes being designed for the left and right foot - or do you struggle with that concept as well?

I don't struggle with either concept. And it doesn't really intrigue me as to why some manufacturers make them. For the money. Why else?
  • chris_bass
    dennisn said:

dennisn said:

I don't struggle with either concept. And it doesn't really intrigue me as to why some manufacturers make them. For the money. Why else?
    is that you don't believe socks could be designed for specific feet or that there is no benefit in doing so?
  • pinno

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

is that you don't believe socks could be designed for specific feet or that there is no benefit in doing so?
    No, he was simply responding in the correct way to Imposter's rather curious, aggressive and somewhat condescending inquiry.
    In fact, i'm still trying to work out why he wants to know if I know which way round my underwear is.

It's all a bit weird, if you ask me.
  • chris_bass
    edited November 2019
    dennisn said:

For whatever reasons my mind just can't fathom why people would believe in this kind of thing

he seems to not believe something - i was asking what he didn't believe