Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

14345474849

Posts

  • briantrumpetbriantrumpet Posts: 3,855
    rjsterry said:

    pinno said:

    I see your point. I also see nitpicking.

    ...though I do agree about Newton's flawed theory of Gravity. But again, my point was that I was countering the claim that I was dismissive of science or the pursuit of knowledge.
    Only silly all encompassing theories about the universe.

    It's no different from what Newton did: make a series of observations and then try to work out what is happening.

    An example. One of the results of proposed by Einstein's Theory of Relativity was that the universe was either expanding or contracting. At the time it was thought that the universe was a fixed size, and indeed Einstein himself initially rejected the idea of an expanding universe. Later, Hubble and separately Lemaître observed that galaxies were actually moving apart from one another and moving away faster the further away from us they were. In other words not only are objects moving through space, but space itself is expanding. This confirmed the conclusion that Einstein had previously rejected, showing his calculations to be correct. Run that expansion backwards to T=0 and you get the Big Bang.

    The other point is that fundamental physical laws apply to all situations across the entire universe (otherwise they are just a special case). So our understanding of gravity or thermodynamics is as much a (silly) all encompassing theory about the universe as the idea of the Big Bang.
    No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. Manc33 told us that the laws of physics are different in outer space.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 36,348
    forehead said:

    monkimark said:

    Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?


    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?



    EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

    Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 15,277
    Stevo_666 said:

    forehead said:

    monkimark said:

    Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?


    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?



    EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

    Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    As a cider drinker I'd have thought that the Wurzels would be perfect for you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    1980s BSA 10sp

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 37,200

    I'm slightly concerned that @pinno has fallen through a hole in the space/time/gravity continuum and is stuck in an infinite time travel loop

    It took me some time t get out of that continuum.
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda
    "This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."
  • foreheadforehead Posts: 180
    Stevo_666 said:

    forehead said:

    monkimark said:

    Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?


    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?



    EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

    Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    The Wurzels aren't funny, they're a very accomplished and serious band, I'll have thee know! :-)
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • sungod said:



    earth wrote:


    sungod wrote:


    Lagrange wrote:

    I think that it is faith or belief. Some people think there is no god.

    god == imaginary friend



    there's no supporting evidence, they are the same delusion



    to say "Some people think there is no god." is the equivalent of " Some people think there is no flying spaghetti monster."



    people who say these things are evidence based, they are not delusional


    I'm not arguing that there is a god but I am going to argue that people in the science arena operate on faith without evidence as well.



    Einsteins relativity theories predict there should be far more matter in the universe than we have evidence for. We can only see 5% of what the theory predicts. So rather than take the view that the theory is wrong because reality does not support it, instead the theory of dark matter was created. But there is still no evidence for dark matter yet people still believe the theories. So there you have a perfect example of people of science believing something they have no evidence for and cannot prove.

    that's a misunderstanding of how science works and the role of theory



    the theory of general relativity is known to be an incomplete description of how things are, i.e. it's 'wrong'



    scientists know this, but for many purposes it is the best theory we have, for others it is no use, if we are ever smart/lucky enough to come up with a better theory then gr will be discarded - or perhaps retained for some uses if it's simpler, just as we continue to teach and apply classical mechanics for the majority of human activity, even though it's clearly 'wrong'



    scientists do not 'believe' theories, they use them as a basis to proceed on, that's how science advances, theories are formed, tested as the ability to do so develops, and either confirmed or disproved, but even wrong theories can still be useful (i.e. classical mechanics)



    when gell-mann and ne'eman (independently) predicted there would be a particle of strangeness -3 with a certain rest mass, that was based upon theory, the theory was tested, hey presto omega minus, if there had been no match then the theory would have been found wrong and we'd move on to repair it or try something different
    sungod said:



    earth wrote:


    sungod wrote:


    Lagrange wrote:

    I think that it is faith or belief. Some people think there is no god.

    god == imaginary friend



    there's no supporting evidence, they are the same delusion



    to say "Some people think there is no god." is the equivalent of " Some people think there is no flying spaghetti monster."



    people who say these things are evidence based, they are not delusional


    I'm not arguing that there is a god but I am going to argue that people in the science arena operate on faith without evidence as well.



    Einsteins relativity theories predict there should be far more matter in the universe than we have evidence for. We can only see 5% of what the theory predicts. So rather than take the view that the theory is wrong because reality does not support it, instead the theory of dark matter was created. But there is still no evidence for dark matter yet people still believe the theories. So there you have a perfect example of people of science believing something they have no evidence for and cannot prove.

    that's a misunderstanding of how science works and the role of theory



    the theory of general relativity is known to be an incomplete description of how things are, i.e. it's 'wrong'



    scientists know this, but for many purposes it is the best theory we have, for others it is no use, if we are ever smart/lucky enough to come up with a better theory then gr will be discarded - or perhaps retained for some uses if it's simpler, just as we continue to teach and apply classical mechanics for the majority of human activity, even though it's clearly 'wrong'



    scientists do not 'believe' theories, they use them as a basis to proceed on, that's how science advances, theories are formed, tested as the ability to do so develops, and either confirmed or disproved, but even wrong theories can still be useful (i.e. classical mechanics)



    when gell-mann and ne'eman (independently) predicted there would be a particle of strangeness -3 with a certain rest mass, that was based upon theory, the theory was tested, hey presto omega minus, if there had been no match then the theory would have been found wrong and we'd move on to repair it or try something different

    That's quite mindful of you. Seems you have nice experience in this field.

    Regards,
    Garku.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 37,200
    rjsterry said:

    pinno said:

    I see your point. I also see nitpicking.

    ...though I do agree about Newton's flawed theory of Gravity. But again, my point was that I was countering the claim that I was dismissive of science or the pursuit of knowledge.
    Only silly all encompassing theories about the universe.

    It's no different from what Newton did: make a series of observations and then try to work out what is happening.
    Well, it is, because my first thought when I think of Isaac Newton is Newton's Laws.
    For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. etc
    Which was introduced to me when I did Engineering and his larger, Universal theories, aren't at the forefront.

    As for the rest of your post, i'll dig out some stuff I have on this apparent, expanding universe and the flaws in that supposition.

    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda
    "This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 9,831
    Big Bang origin theory. What went bang?
    More importantly, where did it come from? 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 37,200
    pblakeney said:

    Big Bang origin theory. What went bang?
    More importantly, where did it come from? 🤔


    Never mind that, why does my post count keep oscillating?

    I hit 37k a week ago. This morning it was 36,500 odd and now it's back up to just a smidge over 37k again.
    Maybe my roaming post count is a metaphor for the Universe; an ebb and flow.
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda
    "This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."
  • Stevo_666 said:

    forehead said:

    monkimark said:

    Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?


    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?



    EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

    Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    I think I get these recommendations (Benny hill the other weekly) because I listen to more Lonely Island than is reasonable. Anything else humourous I generally find pretty much unlistenable more than once though.
    and then the next thing you know
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,353
    Network Marketing Legends ...

    Well - I hadn't heard of him - until one person I'm friends with on FB commented on his post ...
    Just looking at his posts gives me the creeps ...

    This guy has (in 5 years) built a business of over 300k customers using social media .. apparently ... not that it specifies what makes a customer, what they're buying or if they're repeat customers ... but hey - 300 thousand people - can't be wrong?
    Clicked on a link to book his next stage show - £150+vat for a ticket (40% off! - wow!)

    Here's what to expect

    load of guff
    "free stuff"
    "Special Announcement at the Event"
    "Much more"


  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 9,831
    Get rich quick scammers. "Send me $100 and I'll explain how to get rich."
    How can people not see right through this?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,353
    pblakeney said:

    Get rich quick scammers. "Send me $100 and I'll explain how to get rich."
    How can people not see right through this?

    exactly ...
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 36,348
    rjsterry said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    forehead said:

    monkimark said:

    Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?


    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?



    EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

    Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    As a cider drinker I'd have thought that the Wurzels would be perfect for you.
    Confession time: I did go see The Wurzels live a couple of years back (a mate suggested a left field excuse to drink lots of cider, honest :) ). The Skimmity Hitchers were the support act and were way better.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 36,348
    forehead said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    forehead said:

    monkimark said:

    Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?


    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?



    EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

    Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    The Wurzels aren't funny, they're a very accomplished and serious band, I'll have thee know! :-)
    You're not too far wrong there :p
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 36,348

    Stevo_666 said:

    forehead said:

    monkimark said:

    Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?


    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?



    EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

    Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    I think I get these recommendations (Benny hill the other weekly) because I listen to more Lonely Island than is reasonable. Anything else humourous I generally find pretty much unlistenable more than once though.
    They were a great laugh live. Have a search for these covers:
    - Bad Town on the Coast (Bad Moon on the Rise - Credence Clearwater Revival)
    - Viva Lyme Regis ((Viva Las Vagas - Elvis)
    - Trippin' on Moonshine (Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves).
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,058
    Stevo_666 said:

    rjsterry said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    forehead said:

    monkimark said:

    Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?


    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?



    EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

    Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    As a cider drinker I'd have thought that the Wurzels would be perfect for you.
    Confession time: I did go see The Wurzels live a couple of years back (a mate suggested a left field excuse to drink lots of cider, honest :) ). The Skimmity Hitchers were the support act and were way better.
    I've Got a Brand New Combine Harvester and I am a Cider Drinker were two of the first records I ever owned as a kid.

  • webboowebboo Posts: 2,050
    Pross said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    rjsterry said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    forehead said:

    monkimark said:

    Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?


    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?



    EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

    Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    As a cider drinker I'd have thought that the Wurzels would be perfect for you.
    Confession time: I did go see The Wurzels live a couple of years back (a mate suggested a left field excuse to drink lots of cider, honest :) ). The Skimmity Hitchers were the support act and were way better.
    I've Got a Brand New Combine Harvester and I am a Cider Drinker were two of the first records I ever owned as a kid.

    That’s the sort of secret that you should never share.

  • morstarmorstar Posts: 2,240
    webboo said:

    Pross said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    rjsterry said:

    Stevo_666 said:

    forehead said:

    monkimark said:

    Waterman has invaded my Spotify playlist too!
    Is he trying to start a comeback?


    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?



    EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

    Spotify recommended The Wurzels to me this week.
    Go with it, it'll change your life.
    Look up a few of the Skimmity Hitchers songs. Like a sort of modern and funnier version of the Wurzels.
    As a cider drinker I'd have thought that the Wurzels would be perfect for you.
    Confession time: I did go see The Wurzels live a couple of years back (a mate suggested a left field excuse to drink lots of cider, honest :) ). The Skimmity Hitchers were the support act and were way better.
    I've Got a Brand New Combine Harvester and I am a Cider Drinker were two of the first records I ever owned as a kid.

    That’s the sort of secret that you should never share.

    Nah, you've got to love your childhood stuff.

    Wombles was my first record. Either wombling free or remember you're a womble. Can't remember which.
  • david7mdavid7m Posts: 561
    edited 19 November
    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 37,200
    david7m said:

    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.

    The tolls keep the chav's off?
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda
    "This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."
  • david7mdavid7m Posts: 561
    pinno said:

    david7m said:

    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.

    The tolls keep the chav's off?
    Lol :smiley:
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,058
    pinno said:

    david7m said:

    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.

    The tolls keep the chav's off?
    I'd have expected it to be worse as it encourages business users who can reclaim the expense.
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,058
    Trying to work out who's who with the name changes since the forum reboot.
  • LongshotLongshot Posts: 419
    david7m said:

    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.

    Less old people.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • foreheadforehead Posts: 180
    longshot said:

    david7m said:

    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.

    Fewer old people.
    FTFY
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • LongshotLongshot Posts: 419
    forehead said:

    longshot said:

    david7m said:

    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.

    Fewer old people.
    FTFY
    Damn, I hate that. I've never got my head round that one.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,737
    longshot said:

    forehead said:

    longshot said:

    david7m said:

    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.

    Fewer old people.
    FTFY
    Damn, I hate that. I've never got my head round that one.
    Fewer is distinct, less is continuous. You wouldn't say 'fewer water' but you might say 'fewer particles of water'
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 4,227
    haydenm said:

    longshot said:

    forehead said:

    longshot said:

    david7m said:

    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.

    Fewer old people.
    FTFY
    Damn, I hate that. I've never got my head round that one.
    Fewer is distinct, less is continuous. You wouldn't say 'fewer water' but you might say 'fewer molecules of water'
    FTFY
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,737

    haydenm said:

    longshot said:

    forehead said:

    longshot said:

    david7m said:

    Why is the standard of driving vastly improved on toll roads? I go on the M6 toll 4 times a week and there are indicators and lane discipline all over the shop.

    Fewer old people.
    FTFY
    Damn, I hate that. I've never got my head round that one.
    Fewer is distinct, less is continuous. You wouldn't say 'fewer water' but you might say 'fewer molecules of water'
    FTFY
    Damn, I hate that, I've never got my head around that one. ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.