Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

1151618202179

Posts

  • pblakeney wrote:
    Because they can’t make enough money without dropping cookies on visitors.
    I get that.
    Why not just offer "Accept cookies" and "Leave"? The "manage" section is pointless.[/qu

    Some do - they are just trying to be nice
  • ProssPross Posts: 23,299
    The speed at which they clear the queue for the Tube after a gig at the O2. Picked my daughter up from there last night and there were thousands in front of us, we had a few minutes wait outside the entrance while they closed the doors to control numbers but when they reopened we were straight onto a train that was busy but not crowded and even managed to get seats. It took about 10 minutes in total.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,088
    Wales population: 3.2m
    Population of Engerland: 55.5m approx.

    Makes England pretty censored at rugby.

    (Population of NZ: 4.8m)
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard)

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • robert88robert88 Posts: 2,706
    Why 'Yellowhammer'?

    maxresdefault.jpg
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    pinno wrote:
    Wales population: 3.2m
    Population of Engerland: 55.5m approx.

    Makes England pretty censored at rugby.

    (Population of NZ: 4.8m)

    you don't have to live in the country you have to be english or welsh (or at least kinda be able to prove you could be!) so populations aren't exactly accurate. A lot of Welsh people, such as myself, live in England and vice versa - you also have to look at rugby playing populations - 80 year old grandmas aren't going to be much good in a match!

    Rugby is a much bigger sport in Wales than England - some schools only have rugby teams and don't actually play football at all.

    I'm not trying to defend England (i'm Welsh!) just if you are going to make a point at least use correct statistics!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ProssPross Posts: 23,299
    Chris Bass wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    Wales population: 3.2m
    Population of Engerland: 55.5m approx.

    Makes England pretty censored at rugby.

    (Population of NZ: 4.8m)

    you don't have to live in the country you have to be english or welsh (or at least kinda be able to prove you could be!) so populations aren't exactly accurate. A lot of Welsh people, such as myself, live in England and vice versa - you also have to look at rugby playing populations - 80 year old grandmas aren't going to be much good in a match!

    Rugby is a much bigger sport in Wales than England - some schools only have rugby teams and don't actually play football at all.

    I'm not trying to defend England (i'm Welsh!) just if you are going to make a point at least use correct statistics!

    I suspect the proportions of Welsh to English aren't much different to the proportions of the populations of England and Wales though. The best guide is the number of registered players (France come out badly on that with more registered players than England and a worse ranking but England have about 7 times the number of registered players than Wales).
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,571
    pinno wrote:
    Wales population: 3.2m
    Population of Engerland: 55.5m approx.

    Makes England pretty censored at rugby.

    (Population of NZ: 4.8m)

    :):):)

    #13-6
    #cymru
    #knockingoverdustbins
    #Worldnumber1
    #thoughtenglandweremeanttobegood?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • No, England are rubbish BUT have won the RWC, won more GS than Wales, beaten Wales more times than defeats so yes are rubbish but unfortunately for you part time, only support when winning supporters, Wales are even more rubbish. Get it now or do you need a diagram? :lol::lol::lol:

    Still intrigued (you know as per subject matter) why no comment on last weeks results. You know, when the mighty Wales and Italy lost. Strange that. Said no one. Ever.
  • earthearth Posts: 934
    pblakeney wrote:
    Because they can’t make enough money without dropping cookies on visitors.
    I get that.
    Why not just offer "Accept cookies" and "Leave"? The "manage" section is pointless.

    Surely you mean Leave but only with a deal.
  • robert88robert88 Posts: 2,706
    No, England are rubbish BUT have won the RWC, won more GS than Wales, beaten Wales more times than defeats so yes are rubbish but unfortunately for you part time, only support when winning supporters, Wales are even more rubbish. Get it now or do you need a diagram? :lol::lol::lol:

    Still intrigued (you know as per subject matter) why no comment on last weeks results. You know, when the mighty Wales and Italy lost. Strange that. Said no one. Ever.

    OK so England won something. Smashing.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,342
    robert88 wrote:
    Why 'Yellowhammer'?

    maxresdefault.jpg

    Ammer is German for bunting.


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 49,273 Lives Here
    Can someone explain me this.

    If a number of sovereign bonds are going for negative rates, why aren't they going on a massive borrowing and spending spree, till at least rates return to positive?
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 10,310
    Can someone explain me this.

    If a number of sovereign bonds are going for negative rates, why aren't they going on a massive borrowing and spending spree, till at least rates return to positive?

    Who is they? The government or the private sector? The private sector is not able to see sufficient returns even at such low rates. The governments should be going on a spending spree if they are Keynesian. Eurozone countries don't have that ability.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 49,273 Lives Here
    TheBigBean wrote:
    . Eurozone countries don't have that ability.

    Because of fiscal constraints?

    If so, they are bonkers.
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 10,310
    TheBigBean wrote:
    . Eurozone countries don't have that ability.

    Because of fiscal constraints?

    If so, they are bonkers.

    Yes, and yes.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 49,273 Lives Here
    Absolutely crackers.
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 10,310
    Absolutely crackers.

    Even more crackers when you consider that Germany is slowly sliding into recession and has a budget surplus, so isn't even constrained by fiscal rules.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 49,273 Lives Here
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Absolutely crackers.

    Even more crackers when you consider that Germany is slowly sliding into recession and has a budget surplus, so isn't even constrained by fiscal rules.

    Yeah - and there is plenty to spend it on; lots of public responsibility things like infrastructure are really crumbling.

    It's sort of like the Tory take on personal finance during the austerity years but more extreme; applying personal finance lens to macro problems.
  • MidnightMidnight Posts: 80
    edited August 2019
    Back to things that REALLY annoy and intrigue, and confuse me personally

    BREXIT, on and on and on and on
    People who start almost every sentence with either "So" or "Basically" LEARN ENGLISH
    Wot instead of What, aint instead of isn't, init
    Dropping T's in words like "kitten and saying "kien" again, learn to speak properly It was once called "Common"

    Forums (not this one) such as Photography, Astronomy where someone starts a thread "show us your gear" just to "show off" Normally American forums, mine is better than you have

    Rant over
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,487
    Midnight wrote:
    Back to things that REALLY annoy me

    BREXIT, on and on and on and on
    People who start almost every sentence with either "So" or "Basically" LEARN ENGLISH

    This is the "Intrigue you" thread .... it really annoys me when people don't check which thread they're on before they post ...


    Oh :oops: :lol:
  • MidnightMidnight Posts: 80
    slowbike wrote:
    Midnight wrote:
    Back to things that REALLY annoy me

    BREXIT, on and on and on and on
    People who start almost every sentence with either "So" or "Basically" LEARN ENGLISH

    This is the "Intrigue you" thread .... it really annoys me when people don't check which thread they're on before they post ...


    Oh :oops: :lol:


    Or when people don't allow you to finish editing your post, As a person with Aspergers, Autism, I may take time to ......... finish, and edit it two or three times, sorry for the.......... inconvenience
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,487
    Midnight wrote:
    slowbike wrote:
    Midnight wrote:
    Back to things that REALLY annoy me

    BREXIT, on and on and on and on
    People who start almost every sentence with either "So" or "Basically" LEARN ENGLISH

    This is the "Intrigue you" thread .... it really annoys me when people don't check which thread they're on before they post ...


    Oh :oops: :lol:


    Or when people don't allow you to finish editing your post, As a person with Aspergers, Autism, I may take time to ......... finish, and edit it two or three times, sorry for the.......... inconvenience
    :mrgreen:
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 6,471
    Seeing one of those big metal closed sided lorries pass me, no windows or vents visible, with 'Live Animals' printed on the back doors. What sort of live anImals would get transported in those conditions? Fish in tanks? Are fish animals? Chin scratch follows...
  • pinnopinno Posts: 39,088
    Midnight wrote:
    ...init...

    Nah - 'innit', innit?

    I though that your condition would make you a stickler for detail :D
    S - https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/cd/f1/35cdf125f02216d233fc9aa90f8607e6.jpg
    W - (still at Atlantic boulevard)

    "Why are the tractors beeping in the night? I dunno woss goin' on"
    Tricky, 9yo
  • ProssPross Posts: 23,299
    Why is it that some people will stand waiting in the middle of a platform at a station but then as soon as the train comes in and the front of the train passes them they start walking with it rather that waiting for it to stop and going to the nearest door or standing at the front end of the platform to start with?
  • Pross wrote:
    Why is it that some people will stand waiting in the middle of a platform at a station but then as soon as the train comes in and the front of the train passes them they start walking with it rather that waiting for it to stop and going to the nearest door or standing at the front end of the platform to start with?

    It is because shorter trains stop where they were originally standing. If in a hurry you want to be in the first carriage.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,959
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it that some people will stand waiting in the middle of a platform at a station but then as soon as the train comes in and the front of the train passes them they start walking with it rather that waiting for it to stop and going to the nearest door or standing at the front end of the platform to start with?

    Because once the train has reached them they will know where in the train their reserved seat will be?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ProssPross Posts: 23,299
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it that some people will stand waiting in the middle of a platform at a station but then as soon as the train comes in and the front of the train passes them they start walking with it rather that waiting for it to stop and going to the nearest door or standing at the front end of the platform to start with?

    Because once the train has reached them they will know where in the train their reserved seat will be?

    Unlikely in the instance this morning as it is mainly one or two stop commuters with no seat reservations (and you are lucky to get a seat by time it reaches our stop).
  • Pross wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it that some people will stand waiting in the middle of a platform at a station but then as soon as the train comes in and the front of the train passes them they start walking with it rather that waiting for it to stop and going to the nearest door or standing at the front end of the platform to start with?

    Because once the train has reached them they will know where in the train their reserved seat will be?

    Unlikely in the instance this morning as it is mainly one or two stop commuters with no seat reservations (and you are lucky to get a seat by time it reaches our stop).

    amateurs
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 49,273 Lives Here
    If you pay attention to the white/yellow lines painting on the edge of the platform it's easy to see where the doors typically stop, as the paint is usually much more discoloured.
Sign In or Register to comment.