Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

11112141617173

Posts

  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 20,712
    Is there anyone you think is not a fascist, MF?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,776
    rjsterry wrote:
    Is there anyone you think is not a fascist, MF?
    I'm goose stepping round to MFs house to ask him myself.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    Not sure what your point is but the Apollo cost is annual.

    the point was the figures were being quoted the wrong way around, it took $25bn to put men on the moon and $168bn to fight the Vietnam War.

    and thats total costs for Apollo from 1961 to 1973, so not an annual cost either, its estimated that the Apollo 11 mission by itself cost just approx $700mln, but its harder to cost as you count bits of hardware youve already paid for as part of the program, so some do argue it was infact free, but thats accountants for you

    you could argue Project Mercury/Project Gemini were part of the way to the moon as well, but even combined all 3 dont break more than $28bn.
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 20,712
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Is there anyone you think is not a fascist, MF?
    I'm goose stepping round to MFs house to ask him myself.
    Wear your shiniest boots :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,776
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Is there anyone you think is not a fascist, MF?
    I'm goose stepping round to MFs house to ask him myself.
    Wear your shiniest boots :)
    Of course, with steel caps :twisted:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Why is it called goose stepping? Geese don't walk like that!


    I'm fully aware I could Google it but it intrigued me so seemed apt for this thread!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,776
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Why is it called goose stepping? Geese don't walk like that!


    I'm fully aware I could Google it but it intrigued me so seemed apt for this thread!
    Third paragraph, lazy boy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose_step
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • robert88robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Tailgaters.

    Why?
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    You can spend an inordinate amount of time trying to teach a child something important - they just don't grasp it or remember it...
    You then absentmindedly do something "wrong" or use an expletive - and without drawing attention to it, they cotton on straight away and copy you ad infinitum .. even months later when you thought all was well, they suddenly come out with it again ...
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 20,712
    Slowbike wrote:
    You can spend an inordinate amount of time trying to teach a child something important - they just don't grasp it or remember it...
    You then absentmindedly do something "wrong" or use an expletive - and without drawing attention to it, they cotton on straight away and copy you ad infinitum .. even months later when you thought all was well, they suddenly come out with it again ...
    They know exactly what they are up to.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    rjsterry wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    You can spend an inordinate amount of time trying to teach a child something important - they just don't grasp it or remember it...
    You then absentmindedly do something "wrong" or use an expletive - and without drawing attention to it, they cotton on straight away and copy you ad infinitum .. even months later when you thought all was well, they suddenly come out with it again ...
    They know exactly what they are up to.
    and when you suggest that it's not appropriate ... "well, you do it Daddy ... " .... how can you come back from that?! :oops:
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,747
    The surprising amount of cyclists who insist on wearing jackets when the weather is like today.
    Why??????????
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • LagrangeLagrange Posts: 652
    Slowbike wrote:
    and when you suggest that it's not appropriate ... "well, you do it Daddy ... " .... how can you come back from that?! :oops:


    ...you just punch the cheeky ferker in the mouth. Obvs. :D
  • LagrangeLagrange Posts: 652
    PBlakeney wrote:
    The surprising amount of cyclists who insist on wearing jackets when the weather is like today.
    Why??????????

    I wear viz vest when I'm on the road - even for a short distance and it stays on when I'm off road. There is still some mud around and it keeps my t shirt clean.

    ..or do you mean dinner jackets and black tie (and medals) which would, as you suggest, be out of place except Kensington and The Mall.
  • robert88robert88 Posts: 2,696
    PBlakeney wrote:
    The surprising amount of cyclists who insist on wearing jackets when the weather is like today.
    Why??????????

    Cycling up very long hills with the blazing sun on your back it can help a lot to wear 2 layers, the outer light and flowing.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,747
    #notconvinced
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • earthearth Posts: 934
    Every week there is a new poster for a missing cat? Where do they go? The local takeaway?
  • robert88robert88 Posts: 2,696
    PBlakeney wrote:
    #notconvinced

    #uptoyoumateidon'tcare
  • robert88robert88 Posts: 2,696
    earth wrote:
    Every week there is a new poster for a missing cat? Where do they go? The local takeaway?

    Fur coats for the elite.
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,373
    People who have the confidence in their ability to believe they can run the Country.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    Lagrange wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    and when you suggest that it's not appropriate ... "well, you do it Daddy ... " .... how can you come back from that?! :oops:


    ...you just punch the cheeky ferker in the mouth. Obvs. :D

    I've just been reading about the Inuit method of raising children - specifically about anger management ... interesting
  • LagrangeLagrange Posts: 652
    Are you raising Inuits then? Might be a bit warm for them.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    Lagrange wrote:
    Are you raising Inuits then? Might be a bit warm for them.
    that reply says more about you than me ...
  • earthearth Posts: 934
    FocusZing wrote:
    People who have the confidence in their ability to believe they can run the Country.

    Or indeed a continent or the world.
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,373
    earth wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    People who have the confidence in their ability to believe they can run the Country.

    Or indeed a continent or the world.

    Definitely.
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    earth wrote:
    Every week there is a new poster for a missing cat? Where do they go? The local takeaway?

    road kill i'd guess - then eaten by whatever kills other road kill!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 20,712
    Chris Bass wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Every week there is a new poster for a missing cat? Where do they go? The local takeaway?

    road kill i'd guess - then eaten by whatever kills other road kill!

    Are they all different cats or is it just one or two cats moving from owner to owner?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,747
    Robert88 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    #notconvinced

    #uptoyoumateidon'tcare
    #caringdontmatter
    #stillintrigued

    One guy today wearing a thick winter coat buttoned up to the neck, as an example.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,949
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    #notconvinced

    #uptoyoumateidon'tcare
    #caringdontmatter
    #stillintrigued

    One guy today wearing a thick winter coat buttoned up to the neck, as an example.
    Yebbut, you can't be a successful shoplifter wearing a censored tube and shorts innit.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,747
    orraloon wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    #notconvinced

    #uptoyoumateidon'tcare
    #caringdontmatter
    #stillintrigued

    One guy today wearing a thick winter coat buttoned up to the neck, as an example.
    Yebbut, you can't be a successful shoplifter wearing a censored tube and shorts innit.
    Makes sense! Finally. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
Sign In or Register to comment.