Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    How I can get 'something' from China for less than the cost of posting a large letter within the UK. Eg https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3248265653
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    david7m wrote:
    How I can get 'something' from China for less than the cost of posting a large letter within the UK. Eg https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3248265653

Because it costs about 6p to ship it from China. Apparently.
    That was in that program about Diesel power/super cargo ships.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • david7m
    Pinno wrote:
    david7m wrote:

Yeah, but how about the UK cost with royal mail, packaging and the actual product cost? The bearing in that example must have cost about 2p to make :)
  • pinno
    edited July 2019
    david7m wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    david7m wrote:

Yeah, but how about the UK cost with royal mail, packaging and the actual product cost? The bearing in that example must have cost about 2p to make :)

China is churning out stuff on such a huge scale and much of their industry is heavily subsidised. Plus, they are building power stations like they are going out of fashion and can provide cheap electricity for production of anything, cheaply.
    I hope it lasts!
  • david7m
    :mrgreen:
  • Why people would want to check or keep checking their credit score.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Why people would want to check or keep checking their credit score.

If you need credit and your score isn't very good, you can do things to improve it like using a credit card and paying it off etc.

Think of it like checking your fuel gauge when you are low on fuel, it may say 20 miles to go so you try and drive more efficiently and then check again, and you will probably keep checking until you can fill up then you'll stop needing/wanting to check.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    I have no idea what is my credit score and have never checked it. Earlier this week I was talking with a bank to change my mobile phone number, because of obvious security precautions lady there had to follow a procedure of Q and A which involved elements of other accounts, which she assured me would not affect my credit rating. No worries lady, as if I care.
  • chris_bass
    orraloon wrote:
    I have no idea what is my credit score and have never checked it. Earlier this week I was talking with a bank to change my mobile phone number, because of obvious security precautions lady there had to follow a procedure of Q and A which involved elements of other accounts, which she assured me would not affect my credit rating. No worries lady, as if I care.

I guess you have never failed one, some people do, so when they need to take out a loan, phone contract, mortgage, car finance etc they might want to check to see if they will be accepted.

The thing is, the more you check your credit rating the lower it gets.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    orraloon wrote:

I was told by a mortgage adviser that credit checks appear on your credit history. If you have too many credit checks in a row your credit score goes down. This could of course be a ploy to deter people from talking to other mortgage advisers. Just the kind of tactic employed by spivs.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Are indicators an optional extra on BMW's?
  • pinno
    earth wrote:

I find that if the driver has a vacuous expression on their face, they tend not to have indicators fitted to their car. So the make is immaterial. I find that many makes don't have indicators fitted.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pinno wrote:
    earth wrote:

I find that if the driver has a vacuous expression on their face, they tend not to have indicators fitted to their car. So the make is immaterial. I find that many makes don't have indicators fitted.

I believe its more down to the owner of the vehicle rather than the vehicle brand. Living in round about hell you get very used to people entering roundabouts without signalling where they plan to go.

Incidentally what were "traditional" BMW habits now appear to have moved to other German brands instead..

I'd say more intriguing/infuriating is what I describe as Headlight wars with new cars seeming to have brighter and brighter headlights. Any SUV or off road vehicle is pretty much in eyeline, not pleasant to say the least.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    keef66 wrote:
    Only people who've grown up with modern STIs would describe DT shifters as suicide levers. I love their simplicity / flexibility. There's a certain satisfaction to be had from getting each gear change spot on, or going from one end of the cassette to the other in a single movement as you roll up to a red light, ready for a quick getaway.
    Oh how I wish I hadn't trashed my college bike ...

In hindsight it would've been the perfect tourer - true 10 speed (yes - 2 front, 5 back), Down tube shifters

Probably twice as heavy as my current bikes ... but .... oh how I wish I hadn't trashed it ...

never mind ... it would've probably bust by now anyway...
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    What's all this MS Windows 1.0 all about?
  • pinno
    FocusZing wrote:

It's all about... well, I don't know wtf it's all about.
    I just spent 30 mins trying to get my laptop to 'talk' to the printer.
    I ended up getting the printer to talk to the laptop. It was easier.

'Troubleshoot printer problems' - ha ha, don't click on it.
  • FocusZing
    Pinno wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

It's all about... well, I don't know wtf it's all about.
    I just spent 30 mins trying to get my laptop to 'talk' to the printer.
    I ended up getting the printer to talk to the laptop. It was easier.

'Troubleshoot printer problems' - ha ha, don't click on it.

Lets hope Windows One makes it easier.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    Why do people queue and pay to get into Wimbledon then sit on the hill watching showcourt matches on the big screen rather than a live game elsewhere?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross wrote:
    Why do people queue and pay to get into Wimbledon then sit on the hill watching showcourt matches on the big screen rather than a live game elsewhere?

Why do they not follow tennis the other 50 weeks of the year?
  • pinno
    Maundy Arry

(Anagram)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pross wrote:

I believe there is such a thing as general admission at Wimbledon that allows you access to things like "Henman hill" but not the courts to watch the games...why youd bother to do that, is another discussion entirely :)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    that no matter however many times you see endless youtube compilations of clips of it happening, professional riders still get caught out like this in races https://youtu.be/2jobR9Uk7PU?t=105
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The new peloton adverts which talk of “ World class instructors”
    How does one become a world class instructor.
  • chris_bass
    awavey wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I believe there is such a thing as general admission at Wimbledon that allows you access to things like "Henman hill" but not the courts to watch the games...why youd bother to do that, is another discussion entirely :)

I think it is free after a certain time - i could be wrong
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    earth wrote:

No they are standard, they just emit a light that poor people can't see.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    Webboo wrote:

You take a course and demonstrate how good you are at shouting 'inspirational' phrases such as "you're awesome" "come on, you've got this" etc. etc.
  • pinno
    Pross wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

You take a course and demonstrate how good you are at shouting 'inspirational' phrases such as "get a bloody shifty on, for god sake...you'll not win anything pedalling like a big woman's blouse...faster faster faster...put some effort in man... come on woos...are you soft?..." etc. etc.

FTFY

#Shanesutton
  • FocusZing
    Webboo wrote:

Personally I think the whole idea is Monster Carp!
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    FocusZing wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Personally I think the whole idea is Monster Carp!
    I think it's a brilliant money making idea, better than milking money from those who take out long gym subscriptions in January that'll be neglected by February.

With Peloton you sell them the monthly subscription AND an over-priced exercise bike that'll be a clothes horse in two months, all without the cost of actual bricks and mortar.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Pross wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

You take a course and demonstrate how good you are at shouting 'inspirational' phrases such as "you're awesome" "come on, you've got this" etc. etc.

If it's anything like the Sprot "Science" students who attend where I work, then it's "PUSH,PUSH,PUSH", shouted very loudly.

The older I get, the better I was.