Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,712
    (Since they’re not allowed to use customer money to do so...)
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2021
    They’re now crying because the broker has stopped them out because their losses got so big they tripped the stop loss function and they’re claiming it’s a conspiracy on part of the “establishment” to protect themselves

🙄🙄🙄
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,563
    Interesting that the regulators seem to be taking the side of the big boys in this battle and restricting what the Rebel alliance are able to do.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,783
    orraloon said:

😊 introduced to In The Night Garden by grandkids. Wtf are the writers on?

Have few drinks/smokes/both and start reading Pooh Bear.
    Might have just been a time and company though...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,623
    Pross said:

Interesting that the regulators seem to be taking the side of the big boys in this battle and restricting what the Rebel alliance are able to do.

Do you think people should be allowed to pay £500 for a £5 note? Generally, financial regulators don't think that sort of thing should be encourage, because they it is something done out of ignorance.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Nada to do with regulators (yet)
  • TheBigBean

I would imagine when a customer buys a share they are able to use that cash (no longer the customer's) to cover any margin required for settlement risk. This is not the reason they will have stopped purchases of shares.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2021

I would imagine when a customer buys a share they are able to use that cash (no longer the customer's) to cover any margin required for settlement risk. This is not the reason they will have stopped purchases of shares.
    No they’re not.

It is 100% clearing obligations which make it tricky.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,676
    orraloon said:

Yes, it is a bit trippy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean

No they’re not.

It is 100% clearing obligations which make it tricky.

That doesn't make sense. When buying the obligation is to deliver cash in T+2. This isn't affected by volatility, because the price doesn't change. The only possible explanation is that they suddenly had large volumes of trade that they weren't set up for being a small player.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    rjsterry said:

orraloon said:

Yes, it is a bit trippy.
    I refer you to the Magic Roundabout, hasn't lots of kids TV been a bit trippy.
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67

rjsterry said:

orraloon said:

Yes, it is a bit trippy.
    And if you think that is trippy, try the 1970 feature film spinoff "Dougal and the Blue Cat".
    It's quite disturbing in places.
  • Pross said:

There are some who think the primary goal of the rebel alliance leadership is personal enrichment and that they don’t care about the impending catastrophic losses coming the way of their uneducated and already impoverished followers.

You may see similarities with Brexit
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited January 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_IMBhDy1Jk

I guess Michael Burry will be in the film made of this situation as well as the big short.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,256
    edited January 2021
    d00d4h said:

rjsterry said:

orraloon said:

Yes, it is a bit trippy.
    And if you think that is trippy, try the 1970 feature film spinoff "Dougal and the Blue Cat".
    We had the record of that, but I never saw the film. The record was terrifying.

"Blue is beautiful. Blue is best. I'm blue. I'm beautiful. I'm best."
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    edited January 2021

d00d4h said:

rjsterry said:

orraloon said:

Yes, it is a bit trippy.
    We had the record of that, but I never saw the film. The record was terrifying.
    I've got it on VHS somewhere. It has since been released on DVD.

"Blue is beautiful. Blue is best. I'm blue. I'm beautiful. I'm best."

The lovely Fenella Fielding
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited January 2021
    (Bloomberg) -- Michael Burry’s bullish stance on GameStop Corp. in 2019 helped lay the foundations for an epic retail-investor frenzy. Now the famed fund manager is warning that the rally has gotten out of hand.

“If I put $GME on your radar, and you did well, I’m genuinely happy for you,” Burry, best known for his prescient bet against mortgage securities before the 2008 financial crisis, said in a tweet on Tuesday. “However, what is going on now – there should be legal and regulatory repercussions. This is unnatural, insane, and dangerous.”

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/michael-burry-calls-gamestop-rally-032530172.html

I wonder if he did hold on to them?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    morstar said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

You know what comes back to intrigue me, every so often?

How come an investigative sports journalist hasn't properly gone after the connection between Dr Fuentes and the Barcelona / Spain teams that were quite clearly juiced off their t1ts in the late 2000s / early 2010s.

Like David Walsh after Lance or Paul Kimmage after the UCI itself. It's surely low-hanging fruit to someone with those kinds of skills and contacts.

Maybe low-hanging fruit but it's protected by a lot of vested interests...

You may have a point. Probably end up either financially ruined or "missing".
    Is it not just that it's very difficult to get anyone to talk? What's in it for them? Everyone loves Barca, it's the gem in the separatist crown, etc etc.
    A good chunk of Spain hates them for very similar reasons and the conspiracy is meant to include the Spanish National team

The national team was definitely juicing.

Was talking with a couple of mates, last night. I used to play in an amazing team on a Sunday morning. We all played Unibond, Northern Counties Premier on Saturday afternoons and used Sundays a bit of a warm down before a few Sunday afternoon pints.

We walked the league and cups, head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of ability. But also the fitness level difference was staggering - I'd walk off barely needing a shower and opposition players were shadows of their former selves. We ruined them.

Those Barcelona and Spain teams made Germany, Brazil, Real, Sevilla etc look like those ruined Sunday morning pub teams. Bjarne Riis on Hautacam, every week.

When you see top level football teams doing this to other top level football teams, you smell a huge rat.
    What? The Spain team playing fluid give and go after 90 minutes against a destroyed opposition chasing ghosts.

Not sure what you mean.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Wombats are awesome.

In Australia we were advised to be very, very careful driving at night because you don't want a roo through your windscreen, but also that hitting a wombat would cause a disproportionate amount of damage to your car, as wombats are so solid.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ben6899 said:

morstar said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

You know what comes back to intrigue me, every so often?

How come an investigative sports journalist hasn't properly gone after the connection between Dr Fuentes and the Barcelona / Spain teams that were quite clearly juiced off their t1ts in the late 2000s / early 2010s.

Like David Walsh after Lance or Paul Kimmage after the UCI itself. It's surely low-hanging fruit to someone with those kinds of skills and contacts.

Maybe low-hanging fruit but it's protected by a lot of vested interests...

You may have a point. Probably end up either financially ruined or "missing".
    Is it not just that it's very difficult to get anyone to talk? What's in it for them? Everyone loves Barca, it's the gem in the separatist crown, etc etc.
    A good chunk of Spain hates them for very similar reasons and the conspiracy is meant to include the Spanish National team

The national team was definitely juicing.

Was talking with a couple of mates, last night. I used to play in an amazing team on a Sunday morning. We all played Unibond, Northern Counties Premier on Saturday afternoons and used Sundays a bit of a warm down before a few Sunday afternoon pints.

We walked the league and cups, head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of ability. But also the fitness level difference was staggering - I'd walk off barely needing a shower and opposition players were shadows of their former selves. We ruined them.

Those Barcelona and Spain teams made Germany, Brazil, Real, Sevilla etc look like those ruined Sunday morning pub teams. Bjarne Riis on Hautacam, every week.

When you see top level football teams doing this to other top level football teams, you smell a huge rat.
    What? The Spain team playing fluid give and go after 90 minutes against a destroyed opposition chasing ghosts.

Not sure what you mean.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not!
    A wee tinge.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    That it has taken a research project to find out that people are exercising less in this lockdown than in the first one.
    So the first one was in spring/summer and there was a heat wave. This ones in December/ January and its p*ssing down.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,918
    webboo said:

That it has taken a research project to find out that people are exercising less in this lockdown than in the first one.
    So the first one was in spring/summer and there was a heat wave. This ones in December/ January and its p*ssing down.

The wombat poo study is considerably more interesting.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921

Pross said:

There are some who think the primary goal of the rebel alliance leadership is personal enrichment and that they don’t care about the impending catastrophic losses coming the way of their uneducated and already impoverished followers.

I wonder how uneducated and impoverished most of the followers are though?

I should think a large number of the investors are just seeing it as betting entertainment.

It does feel like "the little man" has been able to make a mockery of the game and it will be intresting to see whether new rules are needed. I still have underlying questions about the social utility of shorting shares.
  • Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

I should think a large number of the investors are just seeing it as betting entertainment.

It does feel like "the little man" has been able to make a mockery of the game and it will be intresting to see whether new rules are needed. I still have underlying questions about the social utility of shorting shares.
    Some of these little guys will do it for a living and will make a fortune, some of them will play at it and do alright whilst having a bit of fun. There will also be a bunch of clueless desperate followers who want to believe they have found el dorado.

A common tactic on these boards is for seemingly unconnected but respected forumites to ramp shares they have already bought into, if trading volumes are low enough then this will move the share price upwards so allowing them to gain kudos and sell out their position. The last people to jump on the bandwagon will lose money.

Share trading is a zero sum game, for every winner there is a loser.

I imagine a large majority of the millions who joined that forum this week are financially uneducated asset poor people who are about to get royally fvcked.

The share price will return to where it came from and there will be tales of woe and probably at least one suicide. Still all good jolly japes sticking it to the man.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

Some of these little guys will do it for a living and will make a fortune, some of them will play at it and do alright whilst having a bit of fun. There will also be a bunch of clueless desperate followers who want to believe they have found el dorado.

A common tactic on these boards is for seemingly unconnected but respected forumites to ramp shares they have already bought into, if trading volumes are low enough then this will move the share price upwards so allowing them to gain kudos and sell out their position. The last people to jump on the bandwagon will lose money.

I imagine a large majority of the millions who joined that forum this week are financially uneducated asset poor people who are about to get royally fvcked.

The share price will return to where it came from and there will be tales of woe and probably at least one suicide. Still all good jolly japes sticking it to the man.
    There are other more serious consequences too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-55849192

"Confused investors inundate Robin Hood society"
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean

Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

Share trading isn't a zero sum game and that is an important point. There are fees for every transaction, so whilst some traders make profits before fees, most make a loss after fees.

I don't disagree, for once, with your sentiment though.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,918
    Learning about the work 'pwned'. For a while I just thought it was a typo... and it kind of is, except it's a word in its own right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet#Owned_and_pwned
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

Learning about the work 'pwned'. For a while I just thought it was a typo... and it kind of is, except it's a word in its own right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet#Owned_and_pwned

Back in 2004...

https://youtu.be/WqWFYOxjZ54
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    You guys never played Call of Duty online?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk