Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno said:

I am now very wary of these huge companies - from Amazon to Google.
    They're raison d'etre is to make money. Lets not be fooled into thinking that there motive is in any way philanthropic.

They have huge power. They can filter news that suits their agenda. In any Google search, most people ignore anything after the first page and most results are sponsored.
    This means that the companies who pay the money to be in amongst the first list of results get disproportionate trade.
    Same with Amazon. There will eventually be just a few big fish controlling the net, software, spending habits and they all have access to and can save a helluva lot of personal data.
    It's all a bit Big Brotherish but sugar coated and based on commerce not state control.
    Until they start to impinge on politics because simply, these tech companies are huge and globally omnipresent.

Where do we go with it? Can we actually draw a line or are we simply resigned to Google having more power than the state?

You are correct t about the first page but incorrect about most are sponsored
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,858
    pinno said:

I am now very wary of these huge companies - from Amazon to Google.
    They're raison d'etre is to make money. Lets not be fooled into thinking that there motive is in any way philanthropic.

They have huge power. They can filter news that suits their agenda. In any Google search, most people ignore anything after the first page and most results are sponsored.
    This means that the companies who pay the money to be in amongst the first list of results get disproportionate trade.
    Same with Amazon. There will eventually be just a few big fish controlling the net, software, spending habits and they all have access to and can save a helluva lot of personal data.
    It's all a bit Big Brotherish but sugar coated and based on commerce not state control.
    Until they start to impinge on politics because simply, these tech companies are huge and globally omnipresent.

Where do we go with it? Can we actually draw a line or are we simply resigned to Google having more power than the state?

They tried and succeeded, to an extent, with Microsoft, to restrain the monopolistic nature of big tech, but seem to have given up trying since: Apple, Google, Facebook and Amazon have all, by providing 'comprehensive' and reliable services, effectively created monopolies that obviate the need of governments to provide any of these services.

I've no idea what the answer is, as I can't see any government wanting to, or having the power to break up these behemoths. The EU has flexed its muscles, with a little success in some areas, though it feels rather like tinkering at the edges. Unless you have a powerful body of that sort of size (the US would be the other obvious one) pushing back, the big money will win the game.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    orraloon said:

Who do you trust more? Spaffer or Jeff Bezos?

Or if you happen to reside north of the wall, Nicky or Jeff.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    edited January 2021
    Anyone else following the http://reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets gamestop fiasco? Quite interesting watching.

Seems to be making mainstream news now it's threatening to bankrupt a hedge fund.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

Anyone else following the http://reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets gamestop fiasco? Quite interesting watching.

Seems to be making mainstream news now it's threatening to bankrupt a hedge fund.

Vaguely - they looked at what hedge funds were shorting, and as a crowd, bought into the stock to force the price up, knowing the hedge funds would need to unwind their positions - is that right? At some point, the price inevitably crashes again. Has that happened yet?
  • pangolin
    No not yet, just under 150usd currently.

Certainly some of the redditors are making a case for it being genuinely undervalued by the fund, but plenty are just along for the ride or to stick it to the man.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Interested in how a stock can be short sold by 260% - they can't all have borrowed stock to sell and then expected to buy when it dropped.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    Not a bet I would be taking. In short, the market has more money than you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrage_pricing_theory
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,472
    I'm intrigued by where our toilet rolls go. We are getting through at least one full roll a day in a 5 person house (not a short term thing). I assume this is considerably more than normal?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,572
    edited January 2021

Interested in how a stock can be short sold by 260% - they can't all have borrowed stock to sell and then expected to buy when it dropped.

I'm guessing but if a stock loan desk borrows a loan and lends out out to another stock loan desk and they lend it out etc.

A short is ultimately a derivative.

A weird dynamic of super shorted stocks is if the shorts get burned it actually ramps the price up even higher as shorts have to buy the stock to cover the short.

FWIW if I had the money to cover the margin ( I don't) I'd be spread betting against it.
  • pangolin
    Pross said:

I'm intrigued by where our toilet rolls go. We are getting through at least one full roll a day in a 5 person house (not a short term thing). I assume this is considerably more than normal?

Pandemic though, we all know you need more tp in a pandemic.

I have the same internal debate - there are 3 of us and we go through them much faster than 3x the rate I use them. The other 2 are girls though...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Without going into too much detail, I've always been amused at the variation in usage rates when people have been to stay with me. I know I use about one roll per month, but I'm convinced that some guests just use handfuls, as, yes, a roll seems to go in a day or two. There's an obvious discrepancy between female/male usage, for starters...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Pross said:

We go through the same and we are only a 2 person household. I went through a roll in @ 3 weeks when living alone. No, I won't ask the wife! 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

We go through the same and we are only a 2 person household. I went through a roll in @ 3 weeks when living alone. No, I won't ask the wife! 🤣

Haha, it's one of those things that is not normally discussed in polite company. I still think that using puppies to market paper you wipe sh1t off your ar5e with is both inspired and bizzare. By the amount of marketing that goes into selling it, I can only assume that there's a lot of money to be made from it.

I thought I was vaguely ambidextrous until I temporarily lost the use of my dominant hand, and discovered that there is a certain amount of learned, er, technique, which isn't as easily transferred as I would have thought.

Probably TMI, but since @Pross started it...
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,907

I guess so long as they are only treating it as betting entertainment it's fine, difficult to feel much sympathy for hedge funds either.
  • Interested in how a stock can be short sold by 260% - they can't all have borrowed stock to sell and then expected to buy when it dropped.

I'm guessing but if a stock loan desk borrows a loan and lends out out to another stock loan desk and they lend it out etc.

A short is ultimately a derivative.

A weird dynamic of super shorted stocks is if the shorts get burned it actually ramps the price up even higher as shorts have to buy the stock to cover the short.

FWIW if I had the money to cover the margin ( I don't) I'd be spread betting against it.
    against the hedge fund or against the Redditors?
  • rick_chasey
    gamestop
  • Not a bet I would be taking. In short, the market has more money than you.

but will the market pile in with you to make easy money because somebody is on the hook (Leeson and VW) or will they be wary of giving these jokers a scent of blood.

Is it collusion and is collusion in this form illegal?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Haha, it's one of those things that is not normally discussed in polite company. I still think that using puppies to market paper you wipe censored off your ar5e with is both inspired and bizzare. By the amount of marketing that goes into selling it, I can only assume that there's a lot of money to be made from it.

I thought I was vaguely ambidextrous until I temporarily lost the use of my dominant hand, and discovered that there is a certain amount of learned, er, technique, which isn't as easily transferred as I would have thought.

Probably TMI, but since @Pross started it...
    Reminds me of one of my favourite cartoons of all time:

• TheBigBean

but will the market pile in with you to make easy money because somebody is on the hook (Leeson and VW) or will they be wary of giving these jokers a scent of blood.

The theory is that if there is an arbitrage it will be taken by someone with deep enough pockets. It doesn't require, or even expect, everyone to move to the optimal solution. That doesn't mean that the hedge fund in question will have deep enough pockets, just that buying shares for more than they are worth is likely to lose money.

Of course, there is the alternative theory that the market can stay irrational for longer than you can stay solvent. In this it is not an irrational market, but a bunch of irrational redditors trying to create an irrational market.

• rick_chasey

The theory is that if there is an arbitrage it will be taken by someone with deep enough pockets. It doesn't require, or even expect, everyone to move to the optimal solution. That doesn't mean that the hedge fund in question will have deep enough pockets, just that buying shares for more than they are worth is likely to lose money.

Of course, there is the alternative theory that the market can stay irrational for longer than you can stay solvent. In this it is not an irrational market, but a bunch of irrational redditors trying to create an irrational market.

It's basically a monster pump and dump scheme that's built up so much momentum it's binning proper white knuckle institutions.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I find it intriguing (and somewhat depressing) that trading in perceived values of entities has become more important than actually selling a product or service.
  • Pross
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

I have the same internal debate - there are 3 of us and we go through them much faster than 3x the rate I use them. The other 2 are girls though...
    3 adult women in this house, my 2 daughters seem to just pull the roll and break off reams rather than just a few squares.

That brings me to another mystery, why do they make a single sheet of toilet paper so small? Why not perforate it at the equivalent of 2 sheets at least as I can't imagine anyone getting away with a single sheet.
  • pangolin
    Pross said:

pangolin said:

Pross said:

3 adult women in this house, my 2 daughters seem to just pull the roll and break off reams rather than just a few squares.

That brings me to another mystery, why do they make a single sheet of toilet paper so small? Why not perforate it at the equivalent of 2 sheets at least as I can't imagine anyone getting away with a single sheet.
    I agree you'd never want 1 but surely you wouldn't want to rule out the possibility of an odd number.

Kitchen roll in some countries is twice as perforated as ours (so you can get a small amount) which is very helpful.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    We've been going through almost a roll a day recently also. Only 3 of us though!

No other fecker puts the new roll on the hanger or put the tube in the fecking recycling, just chuck it on the floor.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

We've been going through almost a roll a day recently also. Only 3 of us though!

No other fecker puts the new roll on the hanger or put the tube in the fecking recycling, just chuck it on the floor.

I sometimes wonder if I'm posting as two people on here as I could have quite easily written this. It's now intriguing me if I've got amnesia or a split personality!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited January 2021
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

I sometimes wonder if I'm posting as two people on here as I could have quite easily written this. It's now intriguing me if I've got amnesia or a split personality!
    No I haven't
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean

It's basically a monster pump and dump scheme that's built up so much momentum it's binning proper white knuckle institutions.
    In a pump and dump, the pumping part is telling everyone something is worth more than it is. Here the logic is that it is not worth the current price, but that a hedge fund is going to make a loss and might have to buy at a higher price.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Pross said:

pangolin said:

Pross said:

Are you suggesting that is the real reason Sheryl divorced Lance?
    🤣🤣🤣

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2007/apr/23/musicnews.music
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

In a pump and dump, the pumping part is telling everyone something is worth more than it is. Here the logic is that it is not worth the current price, but that a hedge fund is going to make a loss and might have to buy at a higher price.
    Haha take a look at the comments on the Reddit.

It’s not quite so sophisticated