Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Can't quite understand why a bottle of shampoo would have directions on it. I really want to meet the person who needs directions on how to wash his / her hair.

Can't help but admire the bloke who invented and marketed shower gel. A totally unnecessary overpriced product.
    Isn't shower gel pretty much a women's thing? Seems odd that women would buy it because I thought they had more of a conscience about wasteful things yet they buy bottle after bottle of the stuff. A genius at work there(whomever came up with it).
    I have also just noticed that my tube of toothpaste has directions on it.
    Where to?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Can't quite understand why a bottle of shampoo would have directions on it. I really want to meet the person who needs directions on how to wash his / her hair.

Can't help but admire the bloke who invented and marketed shower gel. A totally unnecessary overpriced product.
    Isn't shower gel pretty much a women's thing? Seems odd that women would buy it because I thought they had more of a conscience about wasteful things yet they buy bottle after bottle of the stuff. A genius at work there(whomever came up with it).

So you can ditch Google Maps now?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Where to?
    Floss Street or Tartar Road in London, Drill Lane in Canterbury, or Wisdom Drive
    in Hertford?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Don't worry - i'll get your coat for you Bompy.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Happy Mondays star Bez in bid to rival Joe Wicks with lockdown fitness classes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55601215
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    I always think that when i type the word "weird" it looks weird and i think i've spelt it wrong.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

I always think that when i type the word "weird" it looks weird and i think i've spelt it wrong.

wierdo
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

elbowloh said:

wierdo
    I find it weird you can stick an o onto the end of weird to imply they are weird, you don't call somebody and idioto or a geniuso? Weird!
  • briantrumpet

elbowloh said:

wierdo
    I find it weird you can stick an o onto the end of weird to imply they are weird, you don't call somebody and idioto or a geniuso? Weird!
    Sicko
  • focuszing723

elbowloh said:

wierdo
    Sicko
    Damn! what an idioto I am.
  • briantrumpet
    Thicko... nothing personal.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

elbowloh said:

wierdo
    Nouns and adjectives. See equivalents such as goodie, baddie, thicko, etc.
  • focuszing723
    Damn and Damno again.
  • briantrumpet

Damn and Damno again.

I like word challenges like that, so thanks for the assertion. Whacko.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Driving back from work early afternoon, 1/2 day innit, on this road which is a bit of a commuter rat run, I do ride it but go for Sundays when traffic lower. Really not fun in normal times M-F.

One section between village and town c. 3 miles. About 1/2 way there is a traffic hold up. Turns out is a bloke in a mobility scooter. Appears to be stopped at the side of the road. In context of the traffic he looks v small and as wearing dark clothing is low viz.

In my turn I pull out to pass. Bloke is holding his hands in air. Broken down? Do I stop and enquire? Help? Should I get close in these c19 lockdown days as obvs vulnerable?

A: no I didn't. Justification? What sort of 'kin numbnut thinks it ok to take a mobile wheelchair into the ratrun? Where tf did he think he was going?

Haven't seen any news reports that he got minced so my conscience is clear...
  • elbowloh
    Only just noticed that the club in Shanghai at the start of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is called "Club Obi Wan"?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Here's another. What can you see on the table in this pic from The Godfather III?

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    HP sauce and Woosestershire sauce?
  • elbowloh
    pinno said:

HP sauce and Woosestershire sauce?

Indeed. Very British innit.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,705
    Quite common in nyc
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I am intrigued as to how a rented e-scooter is safe but a purchased one isn’t...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55644560
  • focuszing723
    morstar said:

I am intrigued as to how a rented e-scooter is safe but a purchased one isn’t...

Yep, certainly a bit odd that. Either they are considered safe enough or not.
  • morstar said:

The rented ones are only allowed as part of a trial scheme, which can be stopped, and all the scooters can be removed. Also, the ones for the trial scheme have to be limited.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

morstar said:

The rented ones are only allowed as part of a trial scheme, which can be stopped, and all the scooters can be removed. Also, the ones for the trial scheme have to be limited.
    Be careful what you wish for with e scooters. They will use bike facilities and the same part of the road as you.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    There is the fear that roads become a bit like Vietnam, but with scooters.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

morstar said:

Be careful what you wish for with e scooters. They will use bike facilities and the same part of the road as you.
    I experienced mass use of e-scooters in Annecy 2018.
    They will become yet another bane of our lives.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    When AI becomes self aware and there is a new science and technological revolution. I would love to just see various periods in the future of how it evolves and what it observers and the knowledge it gains in the universe.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

When AI becomes self aware and there is a new science and technological revolution. I would love to just see various periods in the future of how it evolves and what it observers and the knowledge it gains in the universe.

Maybe, but, judging by how censored useless anti-spam filters are at recognising blatantly obvious stuff, there's a while to go yet.

And how would you know when an AI is self-aware? What does "self-aware" even mean?
  • pinno

When AI becomes self aware and there is a new science and technological revolution. I would love to just see how it controls our lives including spending habits, cyber espionage, fraud and misinformation.

FTFY.

• focuszing723
    pinno said:

When AI becomes self aware and there is a new science and technological revolution. I would love to just see how it controls our lives including spending habits, cyber espionage, fraud and misinformation.

FTFY.

Could well be.