Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

I could have equally put this in the other two threads as well.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    dennisn said:

Can't quite understand why a bottle of shampoo would have directions on it. I really want to meet the person who needs directions on how to wash his / her hair.

Can't help but admire the bloke who invented and marketed shower gel. A totally unnecessary overpriced product.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497

dennisn said:

Can't quite understand why a bottle of shampoo would have directions on it. I really want to meet the person who needs directions on how to wash his / her hair.

Can't help but admire the bloke who invented and marketed shower gel. A totally unnecessary overpriced product.
    I still think Shake 'n' Vac was a genius product from that point of view. Apparently the sales guys rolled about laughing when marketing told them that their latest blockbuster product involved housewives paying money to chuck perfumed sand onto their carpet and hoover it up again. Not long after launch it was S.C. Johnson's biggest selling product in the UK.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

dennisn said:

To be fair to him it was an improvement on having to wash your face with a bar of Imperial Leather impregnated with Mum and Dads pubes.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    shortfall said:

dennisn said:

To be fair to him it was an improvement on having to wash your face with a bar of Imperial Leather impregnated with Mum and Dads pubes.
    Is that how it came from the shops?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    Stevo_666 said:

dennisn said:

I still think Shake 'n' Vac was a genius product from that point of view. Apparently the sales guys rolled about laughing when marketing told them that their latest blockbuster product involved housewives paying money to chuck perfumed sand onto their carpet and hoover it up again. Not long after launch it was S.C. Johnson's biggest selling product in the UK.

Yep, genius.
  • ballysmate
    shortfall said:

dennisn said:

Posh git.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLibirXsrkg&ab_channel=rugbydad678
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

dennisn said:

Isn't shower gel pretty much a women's thing? Seems odd that women would buy it because I thought they had more of a conscience about wasteful things yet they buy bottle after bottle of the stuff. A genius at work there(whomever came up with it).
  • elbowloh
    dennisn said:

dennisn said:

Isn't shower gel pretty much a women's thing? Seems odd that women would buy it because I thought they had more of a conscience about wasteful things yet they buy bottle after bottle of the stuff. A genius at work there(whomever came up with it).
    Conditioner even more so. My wife goes through a bottle a week and that is no exaggeration.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,344

Stevo_666 said:

dennisn said:

Yep, genius.
    Yep, genius. After using it, our pedigree (champion) Springer Spaniel's hair fell out.
    This was in 1981. We sued them for £400 plus vet bills.
    Apparently, S C Johnson paid out a lot of money because it happened to other pets.

Also sickness:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/shake-n-vac-warning.371031/

...and death:

https://www.aardvaccleaning.co.uk/?blog=blogs/archive/2016/12/07/shake.n.vac.killed.my.cat.aspx
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Why are most MTBers sulky barstewards? Very few of them acknowledge other cyclists in any way.

Saw the contrasts today. Out on a mix of shared use paths, gravel tracks, bridleways and back roads. Big spectrum of riders out, from family groups with kids, other gravellers, roadies on the tarmac bits, various MTBers, walkists, runnists et al. Most other riders, and walkists, say hi or give a nod etc, especially if you clearly make room for them. Majority of MTBers - nothing.

To illustrate with one specific example: I'm on a narrow section of shared use route, bit of gloop, water and some ice on one side. A walkist ahead plus 2 riders coming, so I slow right down and hang back so we don't all arrive at the max gloop section at the same time. Walkist says thanks. Both riders go straight past saying nothing. Male and female pair of d1ck5.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Why are most MTBers sulky barstewards? Very few of them acknowledge other cyclists in any way.

Saw the contrasts today. Out on a mix of shared use paths, gravel tracks, bridleways and back roads. Big spectrum of riders out, from family groups with kids, other gravellers, roadies on the tarmac bits, various MTBers, walkists, runnists et al. Most other riders, and walkists, say hi or give a nod etc, especially if you clearly make room for them. Majority of MTBers - nothing.

To illustrate with one specific example: I'm on a narrow section of shared use route, bit of gloop, water and some ice on one side. A walkist ahead plus 2 riders coming, so I slow right down and hang back so we don't all arrive at the max gloop section at the same time. Walkist says thanks. Both riders go straight past saying nothing. Male and female pair of d1ck5.

They were probably roadies trying a bit of off road due to the ice ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    orraloon said:

The barstewards won’t even speak to each other in crudcatcher, that’s why they’re all over here 🙄
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

orraloon said:

The barstewards won’t even speak to each other in crudcatcher, that’s why they’re all over here 🙄
    Don't stereotype us, I waved my middle finger at quite a few roadies while I was out riding today.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    How many of the people logging activities on Strava today will still be doing so by February?

I've seen a load on there today starting doing RED January, the last time I saw them was May when they'd had enough / got injured having gone from doing very little to training like pros when they were furloughed. My suspicion is that most will stop, a few will keep going and get injured again as they haven't eased into things.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

How many of the people logging activities on Strava today will still be doing so by February?

I've seen a load on there today starting doing RED January, the last time I saw them was May when they'd had enough / got injured having gone from doing very little to training like pros when they were furloughed. My suspicion is that most will stop, a few will keep going and get injured again as they haven't eased into things.

I always notice a massive increase in runners/joggers in January.
    I think it is a double whammy of New Years resolutions and getting serious for London Marathon.
  • elbowloh
    Inspired by the TV thread, why is it that I just cant stand the US Black Mirror series, but like the UK one?

I love Charlie Brooker and all his TV stuff normally and used to read all his articles in the Guardian or anywhere else, but I just can't watch the US Black Mirror stuff.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Why is it, years after tumble dryers became commonplace, so many clothes are still labelled as being unsuitable to be tumble dried? Even more intriguing is why you can have two garments apparently made from the same materials but one can be tumble dried and the other can't. I know from experience that most things are actually fine going on despite what the label might say.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

Why is it, years after tumble dryers became commonplace, so many clothes are still labelled as being unsuitable to be tumble dried? Even more intriguing is why you can have two garments apparently made from the same materials but one can be tumble dried and the other can't. I know from experience that most things are actually fine going on despite what the label might say.

Agreed, it takes a pretty obscure garment to be spared the tumbly in our house.

I just make sure different weight fabrics get appropriate times. The mrs is hopeless and stick everything in together for endless hours and we have some interesting shrinking episodes. She’s not allowed near my stuff.
  • elbowloh
    morstar said:

. She’s not allowed near my stuff.

What about your laundry?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Last thing you want is having someone with a history of creating shrinkage near your stuff!
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    The miracle of science.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Plus, the appliance of science.
  • dennisn
    How can the people who obsess over and write in to forums about the littlest scratch or nick on their carbon frame, gather their courage to even ride a carbon bike or wheels?
  • elbowloh
    dennisn said:

How can the people who obsess over and write in to forums about the littlest scratch or nick on their carbon frame, gather their courage to even ride a carbon bike or wheels?

Or people (usually buying their first bike or first for a very long time) refuse to even consider buying carbon in case it melts in the rain.

Like the millions of people who do have carbon bikes must wrap them in cotton wool and only ride them once in a blue moon, when it's dry and sunny.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I've ridden my posh carbon bike with carbon wheels on almost every outing this winter except for a handful of occasions.

As Chris Boardman famously stated:
    "Cycling is an outdoor sport"
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,344

I've ridden my posh carbon bike with carbon wheels on almost every outing this winter except for a handful of occasions.

I thought I was the only one :)

Mind you, i've had to clean and re-lube it almost every ride.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169

Coming from Boardman, surely that's one for the "Irony" thread!
  • Pross
    Do you have to grow a straggly beard to be accepted as a Trump supporter?
  • dennisn
    dennisn said:

dennisn said:

I have also just noticed that my tube of toothpaste has directions on it.