Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Tuesday is my Friday and no timeouts.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,851
edited March 2019 in The bottom bracket
Morning from a very dark windy Midlands. Driving into today as stuff to bring home. Hopefully an easy day and no 503 errors. Will be partaking of a few beers later assuming I have a reasonable day. Enjoy your day all.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,003
    Slack day working from home, managed to avoid most of the assigned tasks without incident. Tradesmen in doing stuff downstairs here, so have been serenaded by the sounds of demolition all day. Noice. More slacking planned.
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 8,914
    Morning, back to normality with the forum, very windy here again but at least it’s fine, looks like I will be on the rollers again, roll on summertime
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,890
    WFH which means a decent walk with the hound and stacking some of the wood I did with my chopper last night, really should get a splitter - but an axe is so satisfying

Later is more wood
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 44,009
    A day mostly full of meetings. Whoopee. The weather continues to be windier than the morning after one of Veronese's curry nights so glad I'm not on the bike today.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,016
    Morning, very windy already here I predict wheelie bins and trampolines galore later, just got to work an all the geese have been blown firmly to one side of the lake.
    Rode in on no2 today, not sure if I will tomorrow the wind was none to pleasent.

Tlw, I have a splitter but the axe is far more satisfying
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 4,619
    Morning

Car still not fixed so bike/train again in the rain. The parts arrived yesterday but they still hadn't started it when I range at 5pm to see if it was ready to collect because they wanted to check it was OK to do the work because it was expensive. I guess there's a fault with their phone that means they can't dial out.

Still feeling like censored . A cold shouldn't last 3 weeks.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,446 Lives Here
    Morning folks,
    Forum seems to be back up and running normally at least. Another busy day ahead of me, certainly helps the time go faster. I somehow keep ending up with more work to do. Got a meeting in 10 minutes that will probably result in even more heading my way. Deep joy.
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The weather continues to be windier than the morning after one of Veronese's curry nights so glad I'm not on the bike today.
    Not sure if curry will be tomorrow night or next Wednesday as a few of our number are working abroad. Will certainly be going to a pub regardless. I wobbled in, I've had enough of this wind. Had to get home in a hurry last night as the EPO's trains were all cancelled, managed just over 5 miles in less than 17 minutes. Got home a sweaty mess just in time to see the Sainsbury's delivery man going through the garden gate, phew.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    Morning, nothing exciting here, office day. Very very wet over night and the old field drain between my house and the currently-being-harvesting FC woods is flowing at warp speed into my pond. Never seen it flow before, quite surprised it's taking this much water even with the trees off, I suspect the operators have diverted something they shouldn't have. Not to mention the waterfall running completely brown, I'd have fired these guys long ago if it was my site...
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,443
    Morning

Car still not fixed so bike/train again in the rain.

Still feeling like censored . A cold shouldn't last 3 weeks.

I realise from the rest of your post that you have no option, but these two facts are connected.

The older I get, the better I was.

• hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 6,073
    Epic tailwind. I expect the journey home will be a lot more work. Still, trying to stop the wind blowing me and my silly wheels backwards and/or sideways should provide an excellent aerobic and core workout.
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,701
    I also have a splitter but find it doesn't quite have the "crack" of a proper splitting axe so tough wood just wedges itself on the blade.

I've now been back home for three weeks so it's high time another holiday was booked, just having to fart about with other people and trying to squeeze another around it with a two wheeled emphasis.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
    I found using a log splitter was more faff than an axe but the majority of my wood now is definitely not stolen softwood so it's very easy to split.

Also trying to decide whether to lighten up my Croix de fer for long distance road use with some nice wheels and a carbon fork, or sell up and get something like the carbon Orbea Terra and a second set of wheels for on road/off road. My CDF is size tiny so I have a feeling I'd be able to get it to 9kg ish with a bit of effort
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,003
    Investigating a new wood-burner for home, considered an allegedly Brit made one - Stovax? Read that they are a bit average, so will keep hunting for something.

Loads and loads of very dry pine on my place here, but not ideal firewood even if it does burn easily. Might need to scrounge some proper hardwood too
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
    I don't mind pine as it has a higher density than spruce, when I'm splitting spruce in the summer and it dries to balsa wood weight it's quite depressing for the energy expenditure...
  • Not much work being done here for the rest of the week.
    It's Cheltenham week.
    Lots of £1 wagers flying back and forth to/from SWMBO.
    Just a pity our kitchen isn't set up for hog roast.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,016
    haydenm wrote:
    I don't mind pine as it has a higher density than spruce, when I'm splitting spruce in the summer and it dries to balsa wood weight it's quite depressing for the energy expenditure...

I tend to try an avoid pine, seems to produce a lot more gunk in the flue, Spruce is nice I try an use Oak or similar hard woods they seem to burn slowly, try some dried fruit woods, we did some apple wood which gives a nice smell.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 7,539
    Investigating a new wood-burner for home, considered an allegedly Brit made one - Stovax? Read that they are a bit average, so will keep hunting for something.

Loads and loads of very dry pine on my place here, but not ideal firewood even if it does burn easily. Might need to scrounge some proper hardwood too
    WS. Whether this company exports to the far side I don't know. However thoroughly rec Clearview stoves. We have a little Pioneer 400 in a 4x4 room which we call The Snug as it is lovely and cosy with the stove one. Well made. Fires up easily. Operates flawlessly. Very happy with it. Have another brand stove in another room and that can be a temperamental barsteward.
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,701
    We have two stoves in our house, the living room is a Westfire and the kitchen/diner is a Beltane. The latter is nowhere near as good or efficient. It's also harder to control.

That said the Westfire was £900 and the Beltane £500 so you do get what you pay for.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,208
    @WS: Kratki stoves, if they export to Oz/Taz. Very good VFM. Well built.
    I like wood that is dry. Hard woods are only as good as the seasoning *unless you can get Ash)but saying that, the stove above ^ generates so much heat, how seasoned the wood is, is less of an issue.
    Our kitchen stove heats the water and radiators. Although small, it packs 16.5kw but needs very dry wood.

Windy but at least there is a little bit of sun.

Must do some work related things if I cba.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
    Two in ours, a vigilant and a stovax both large so can take 50 cm length wood and therefore pump out the heat.

Stovax is in the dinning room and despite being an old school room with double height ceiling we normally have to turn off the heating and open some doors! Not as easy to light as the clearview we had at the old house, but excellent once it gets going.

Mostly burn oak, but currently processing beech and some pine
    tlw1 wrote:
    Mostly burn oak...

I hope you are managing that woodland properly, or there will be words and falling out.

What's Beech like to burn? It's a hard, hard wood so what's it like to split.
    My Sycamore was lovely to split. I looked like Charles Bronson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5OUX-MqNEg

Funny, 'cos as a kid (8/9), I wanted to be Yul Brynner.
    Two of the three stoves I have are clearview, a Vision 500 in the dining room/kitchen (which also heats up the stairwell to the bedrooms), and a Pioneer 400 which is in the livingroom and runs a hot water boiler. Not sure what it is about the Vision (potentially the hill/trees but the pioneer doesn't seem the same despite using the same chimney) but the draft is incredible, it'll warm the house from 14 degrees to 19.5 in a matter of two hours on a good day. The pioneer runs significantly less hot as it's also constantly heating water. I'm not 100% sold on the build quality but they are very good for the cash, the Vision doesn't seal underneath especially well using the slider. I would consider getting a double aspect and knocking the fireplace through if the OH didn't want my guitar playing nicely sealed off in the livingroom...

Beech is fantastic firewood, didn't seem to be too bad to split either. I'm enjoying getting through the cherry tree which fell over my garage last winter due to snow, nearly all gone now so I'll need something to supplement my plentiful supply of spruce...
    I have central heating.
    hopkinb wrote:
    I have central heating.
    Me too, it cost a ferkin arm and leg and isn’t significantly warmer or cheaper to run than the old 40yr old church boiler we had before.

Therefore I love wood :)
    hopkinb wrote:
    I have central heating.

Now I thought that a man as hard as you would have no heating.
    pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    I have central heating.

He is married
    tlw1 wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    I have central heating.

He is married

Fair point. Although cave women are hardy. I thought there were plenty of cave women to choose from in Coventry.
    pinno wrote:
    tlw1 wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    I have central heating.

He is married

Fair point. Although cave women are hardy. I thought there were plenty of cave women to choose from in Coventry.

There are plenty of cave stegs from Coventry. Mrs is from East London by way of Chesterfield and Burma. She is prone to turning the thermostat up to 24 degrees, and then opening the windows. Fcken loon.
    tlw1 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    I have central heating.
    Me too, it cost a ferkin arm and leg and isn’t significantly warmer or cheaper to run than the old 40yr old church boiler we had before.

Therefore I love wood :)

Fnarr fnarr. :D

I don't have a draughty old Elizabethan mansion to heat, just a 1920's mid-terrace with double glazing and engineered wood flooring with a nice thick layer of insulation underneath it. Loft conversion was recent too, so no leakage from there either.
    hopkinb wrote:
    ...engineered wood flooring...

Wtf is that?