Aero comparison

casatikid
casatikid Posts: 229
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi, I’ve been looking at the Dolan Rebus aero bike and the Planet X EC 130E.
If anyone out there has either of these bikes would you recommend them and what are the pros and cons?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not got them but CW reviewed both and the PX bike was their aero bike of the year.
  • The headtube on that Dolan is really tall
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • casatikid
    cougie wrote:
    Not got them but CW reviewed both and the PX bike was their aero bike of the year.
    Hi, yes I read that and it was a great review. I’m torn as I’ve seen the Rebus at Dolan’s and it looks beautiful.
    Not seen the Planet X in the flesh yet.
    Thanks
  • casatikid
    The headtube on that Dolan is really tall
    Yes I agree, however I’ve seen the bike at Dolan’s and it really looks good.
  • CASATIKID wrote:

Aesthetically yes. The Planet-x has pretty much the same geo as a Canyon Aeroad.

But not everyone wants or needs such an aggressive position on the bike so you are pretty much buying something that looks nice, but it wont give you the required position to make the most of the aero tubing.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Whats people thoughts on the prices for the full built up bikes? Looking at them they appear to be pretty similar to the Canyon when you add in decent wheels. For me personally, I don't see the point in an aero frame without a good set of aero wheels on it.
    When you add the full Ultegra to the PX bike, its close to the Ribble. Which is then pretty close to the Aeroad SL with full Ultegra and Reynolds AR58 wheels. (Disclaimer - I went through this process last year when looking at buying an aero bike - I went with the Aeroad to get the aero cockpit and aero wheels)
    Aesthetics are personal, but I do like the Ribble. But for the price, I'd stump up that little bit more and go for the Canyon SL8 with the Reynolds wheels.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    the canyon is the one I'd choose out of all of those, even at the slightly heavier SL level, you'd have a very nice bike.
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    I think Planet X recently closed their bricks and mortar store so online only now I think - no way of viewing before you buy.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    CASATIKID wrote:

Aesthetically yes. The Planet-x has pretty much the same geo as a Canyon Aeroad.

But not everyone wants or needs such an aggressive position on the bike so you are pretty much buying something that looks nice, but it wont give you the required position to make the most of the aero tubing.

If you’re not riding in a position that is aero, whats the point in having aero tubing?
  • cougie
    Obv the bike is more aero thus slicing through the air and saving you seconds.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    Seems there might be quality control issues with the Planet X. Posted under the CW video......
    I bought a Planet X Ec 130 E frames and i must say I would not advise anybody to get one. the first frame i got from them was out of alignment at the rear dropouts so my whole wheel was shifted to the right side after about 6 weeks of emailing back and forth they replaced my frame. Then after 2 Months after I placed my initial order I had the first ride with this Frameset. I noted that i couldn't tighten the top cap for the headset bearings enough and it did become lose over and over again. I looked closer and found that the upper headset bearing had around 1mm of play. The next problem is that the seat post slips the hole time and I usually need it to adjust once every ride, I torqued it down to 6 nm as recommended and tried everything from hairspray to grip paste. After another close inspection I found out that the seat post has also quite a lot of play inside the seat tube.

Since I sold my other Frameset there is no way I can continue to train without buying another frameset since I am deep into my training for 2018 racing season, and to stop training now means I can forget my competitive goals.

To make it short I think the bike could be good but the quality control is that bad that it isn't worth the hassle.... for me at least but everyone should decide for themselves.
  • cougie
    Never had a problem with any of my PX bikes. I'm sure you'll see occasional issues from any big manufacturer.