Best helmet

jack9266
jack9266 Posts: 12
edited January 2019 in MTB buying advice
What is the best helmet to use!?, i know once crashed you meant to replace it!, but the total adds up after a while, is there a helmet which is good enough to use multiple times with out replacing it!? - is there an actual product out there!?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    One that fits!
    You need to try on a variety of helmets and find the brand and model that best fits your head shape for the intended riding - road, trail, DH, etc.

You don't need to replace a helmet every time you crash. You need to replace it if the crash results in a severe blow or impact to the helmet that is hard enough to destroy the integrity of the helmet.
    Some helmet manufacturers offer a crash replacement service whereby you can get a new helmet at a reduced price.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    One that fits comfortably, doesn't cause you to overheat and has the relevant kite marks for safety?

Beyond that, I don't think you'll find any that have a reputation for taking multiple impacts as the manufacturers never advise multiple impacts simply because they can't rule out the fact that the first impact is one which has fundamentally weakened it unless they do detailed analysis on it - which they won't be doing because that's not economically viable for them.

I'd argue buy the cheapest one which fits the criteria above. Beyond that you're just buying style / brand / colour choices?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Planet X have some very good offers. Might be worth a punt to see if one suits.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The advice so far to "get one that fits" is not facetious, it is genuinely meant. You only have to wear a helmet on a long ride to realise what torture an ill fitting helmet can be! :cry:

I had to buy a helmet so that I could go on a skills course for my first mtb. I didn't want to use one so I spent as little as possible. I broke it completely on my first ride out after the course. I was now convinced of the need for a helmet! For my second helmet, I was prepared to spend up to £80 (this was in 2008) and I must have tried every size Large in the shop. There were loads of really good high-spec helmets but I looked like a dick in most of them and most of the rest didn't fit properly. I ended up with a cheap Met for less than £30! But at least I wore it until I broke that one as well. Then I switched away from the XC style to the Trail style that was becoming more available. They provide more protection down the sides and to the rear, and are a bit heavier and more expensive. But I reckon that I didn't want to be just a little bit brain damaged, so I paid up - more like £80 this time.

Back to your question:
    Get one that you believe you look cool in, or at least not like a dick! :lol:
    Get one that fits. Take your time to get the straps in the right place and the helmet properly secured. Then lean over in the mtb position and see if the straps and the cradle at the rear dig in to your head or neck. On the helmet that tortured me, the cradle dug into the flesh at the back of my neck and pushed the helmet forward. This restricted my view so I had to either tighten the helmet to stop it moving or tip my head up. Both of these caused pain after a while. I sold that helmet after a few months.

I have broken every helmet I have ever owned (except the torture device and the two I wear now), so I will spend whatever it takes to protect my head (whilst not looking like a dick). If the helmet breaks on you then it has done its job and you are capable of complaining about it, so buy another one - it did its job! :)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    From my experience you want one that fit correctly on your head and don't just go for the name, try a few on and see which feels best like your not wearing one that will be the one to buy. Nothing more annoying than wearing a helmet and it bothers you while riding.

My fox flux helmet has some scratches on from use but no big hits otherwise it would be replaced with a mips helmet.

Currently looking for replacement pads for inside it as I have a sweaty head and they get ruined easily.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    As has been said, get a helmet that suits the type of riding you do.

I first had the lighter XC type helmets first and then changed to a trail style due to the better protection levels. I mainly ride XC and nothing to knarly or jumpy. I have bought a full face for my annual trip to Bike Park Wales as we saw so many facial injuries the first time I went (in my XC helmet). It seemed so wholly inadequate.

We all want to look nice in a helmet so that is a consideration, but it's got to fit and offer the right level of protection.

As for crash replacement - if you bang a helmet you can get microscopic cracks etc that wont be evident until it fails the next time when you most need it. It's really hard to guage when it is appropriate to change a helmet - we all have different views and experiences.

You are never going to appreciate how much you need the helmet until it's too late to change your mind.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:

You are never going to appreciate how much you need the helmet until it's too late to change your mind.

If you have a mind left to change! :shock:
  • steve_sordy
    [quote="swod1"............

Currently looking for replacement pads for inside it as I have a sweaty head and they get ruined easily.[/quote]

They will be available, I found some for a Met helmet several years ago. I'm half bald so I sweat straight into the pads.

But this is what I do now and I have no problems with rotting pads.

Every single time I get home, I dump the whole helmet into a washing up bowl of cold water. I squeeze the pads onto the helmet a few times to ensure the water flushes out the sweat, then swill the helmet about to ensure the straps get well rinsed. Then remove helmet, allow to drain for a while. I also press the pads again to squeeze out surplus water, then wipe off most of the water with a towel and stand the helmet on the radiator to dry off. Every now an then I put some Dettol Laundry Cleanser (kills 99.9% of bacteria) in to the cold water before dumping the helmet in there.

I've been doing this for years now and I've had no problems, either with rotting pads or skin problems from helmet nasties.