Roads to avoid in Lanzarote?

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited February 2019 in Tour & expedition
I'm heading off to Lanzarote in a couple of weeks, Puerto del Carmen to be precise. I've been to the island before and cycled a fair bit down at the Playa Blanca area. I'm making up some routes at the moment, several of which seem to take me on to the main roads (the low number LZ type roads). From my experience some of these tend to be almost motorway-like and not the kind of roads I would normally aim for. If I start looking at some of the minor roads though it becomes a lot more difficult to plan a route and often the minor roads kind of fizzle out from smooth tarmac to questionable surfaces. Am I being over cautious? Are the LZ roads generally ok for cycling? Are there any roads in particular that should be avoided due to high volumes/ fast traffic? The LZ-2 out of Playa Blanca was pretty hairy much of the time, especially in high winds, and I usually opted for the smaller road adjacent to it which was ideal.
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• I’m there in 5 weeks and found about 20 routes that pass where I’m staying on Plotaroute. About an hour had me filter that down to 6 I wanted to do. In theory that should avoid those roads, we’ll see!
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Don't imagine many people are waiting on tenterhooks for this but, for what it's worth, my experience this week was all good with regards to the roads. Any concerns I had about using the LZ main roads were completely unfounded. All good, some excellent routes, loads of other cyclists around and very considerate drivers for the main part. Only place that felt a bit vulnerable was passing some of the busier slip roads but other than that the unofficial cycle lane at the side of the road was a good place to be. Weather was pleasantly warm but windy (as always in Lanzarote) but nothing that hampered the enjoyment. If anyone is looking for a must do road then I would say the LZ67 through the volcanic national park is worth a look, highlight of the week for me - beautifully smooth, dramatic landscape, little traffic and a nice tailwind from NE to SW.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"