Boardman cx comp 2014 brake upgrade

ichigo
ichigo Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in Workshop
Hi guys,

essentially had my Boardman cx comp 2014 for 4 years now, and the brakes are pretty much gone, the discs are bent and the levers seem to be out of calibration as well even with new straight disks, producing poor breaking and shuddering.

So I am looking for a new set of breaks any recommendations?
I have heard spyre or bb7s are good but am not sure if they will fit my model?
Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    ichigo wrote:
    Hi guys,

essentially had my Boardman cx comp 2014 for 4 years now, and the brakes are pretty much gone, the discs are bent and the levers seem to be out of calibration as well even with new straight disks, producing poor breaking and shuddering.

So I am looking for a new set of breaks any recommendations?
    I have heard spyre or bb7s are good but am not sure if they will fit my model?
    Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

Forget the BB7's - your best option would be TRP Spyre or TRP Hy/Rd. The Spyres are straight mechanical like the BB7's but come with the advantage over BB7's that each individual pad is adjustable making it much easier to set up and adjust. With the BB7's only one pad is adjustable making it a bit more of a faff to set up and adjust.

Best option would be the TRP Hy/Rd - these benefit from having a mini hydraulic cylinder which is actuated by the cable brake lever. Not quite up to the performance of a full hydraulic set up but pretty good for most mere mortals

With both the Spyres and Hy/Rd they will probably be supplied as direct mount versions but I'm sure they supply adaptors if your caliper set up is post mount
  • I thought that Avid BB7 had dual pad adjustment, and it was only the Avid BB5's that was single sided.

I had Avid BB5's on my Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp (2012) and switched them out for BB7's when they needed replaced, and I found them much easier to set up without rubbing etc. and seemed to give much better braking performance.
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I thought that Avid BB7 had dual pad adjustment, and it was only the Avid BB5's that was single sided.

I had Avid BB5's on my Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp (2012) and switched them out for BB7's when they needed replaced, and I found them much easier to set up without rubbing etc. and seemed to give much better braking performance.
    That's correct. I swapped out BB5s with some BB7s on my CX Team. Both pads are adjustable, but it is only the outboard that moves when the brakes are applied, as the rotor is then deflected and pushed against the inboard pad. I've no experience of the Spyres, but am I correct in thinking that both pads move when braking?
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I have just fitted some Spyres to my project bike - you’re correct, both pads move when the lever is pulled. There are different versions of the Spyre depending on the cable pull your levers have (essentially road or MTB). Mine are post-mount, road versions. The bike isn’t quite finished yet so I can’t comment on their performance other than they are better than the cantilevers I replaced them with even on the small test ride I have done.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere