105 v ultegra pedals

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, is there much difference in reality between the two?

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    No practical difference whatsoever. I have a set of each over 2 bikes, have lasted years. Choose a colour to suit according to intended bling factor.
  • OK, what is difference with the PD-R550 option? Look almost identical to ultegra
  • big_harv
    Can't help you there. Like everything I imagine quality of materials reflected in the price. I doubt there's any noticeable practical difference but I'm sure a mechanic can opine further.

What do you need them for - apart from propelling your bike obviously?
  • Ultegra are composite, maybe 105 are alloy?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Does the wider platform mean more power through the Pedals?
  • big_harv
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Does the wider platform mean more power through the Pedals?

Yes.

:? Probably. I can imagine that being the case. Allegedly.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    shiznit76 wrote:

You make the power - not the pedals. 'Narrower' pedals are not going to slow you down.
  • big_harv
    Ultegra are composite, maybe 105 are alloy?

I had a peek at Wiggle. Apparently both 105 and Ultegra are carbon now. Carbon pedals, hmmm.
  • big_harv
    Imposter wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

You make the power - not the pedals. 'Narrower' pedals are not going to slow you down.

Possibly he means power transference. If only Nick were here he could explain it to us. :mrgreen:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Big Harv wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

Possibly he means power transference. If only Nick were here he could explain it to us. :mrgreen:

Let's be grateful he isn't ;)

Same thing though - power/power transfer - I don't see how a 'wider' pedal will improve it..
  • big_harv
    See what you started Shiznit! A debate....thankfully a polite one.

Go with what's comfortable & within budget. There.
  • Haha cheers for info

from the blurb though:
    "features a wide platform that provides extra support and a large cleat contact area for superior power transfer"
  • big_harv
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Haha cheers for info

from the blurb though:
    "features a wide platform that provides extra support and a large cleat contact area for superior power transfer"

Superior to mozzarella cheese probably. Take all that with a pinch of salt. But "roadie" pedals are generally appropriate for "roadie" shoes on "roadie" bikes. And Shimano know how to make stuff.
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    Haha cheers for info

from the blurb though:

They also said you need discs breaks
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    Haha cheers for info

from the blurb though:

They also said you need discs breaks

Is that the same folk who said the same about disc brakes?
  • big_harv
    No that was Bike Radar, Cycling Weekly and every other advertising revenue whore. :D
  • I picked up some Ultegra 8000 carbon pedals in the black Friday sales for a price less than some ask for the 105.

The Dura Ace are lighter, but the Ultegra hit the sweet spot between cost and specification for me.
  • clubsport wrote:
    I picked up some Ultegra 8000 carbon pedals in the black Friday sales for a price less than some ask for the 105.

The Dura Ace are lighter, but the Ultegra hit the sweet spot between cost and specification for me.

Sigma had them for £58
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • clubsport wrote:
    I picked up some Ultegra 8000 carbon pedals in the black Friday sales for a price less than some ask for the 105.

Sigma had them for £58

That is a great price for Ultegra pedals! :)
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    got r550 / 105 (5800) and ultegra 6800

pretty much all the same except a few grams here and there (all are carbon, with metal stamp plates). the only difference after that is the dura ace ones are a bit shallower/lighter and have better bearings. oh and the graphics.

the newer ones offer relatively minor updates. nothing really to speak of.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I decided to have a go with road cleats after years using 2 bolt SPDs I went for the cheapest alloy bodied R540 pedals.

Slippery bloody things if you miss clipping in or get them upside down, but I decided I liked the much more attached to the bike feel, and ditched the SPDs entirely.

Thought I'd have a better pedal on the carbon summer bike, so started trying to work out the differences in the Shimano pedal food chain.

Carbon bodied from 105 upwards, and diminishing weight as price increased. Some kind of resin body on the Tiagra level R550, alloy for the R540. Wider platform and metal wear plates on the 550 and upwards.

Agonised over Ultegra vs 105, and hoping the outgoing 5800 stuff would be sold off cheaply, but in the end my inner Yorkshireman bought a pair of used R550s from a fellow forumite for a little over £20. I'll give the bearings a precautionary squirt of grease and spend the money saved on other stuff.

At a glance they'd pass for 105s, and I can't see them at all once I'm on the bike :D
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    to be fair they all clip in and out reasonably nicely. the 540s are slightly narrower, but as others have said that shouldn't really affect you...
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have 5800 pedals on my 5800 equipped bike and 6800 pedals on my 6800 equipped bike. There is zero difference in them bar 15g weight which absolutely no one could claim to be able to feel through the pedal. I just wanted the pedals to match the groupset hence going for the more expensive 6800 pedals.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    clubsport wrote:
    clubsport wrote:

Sigma had them for £58

That is a great price for Ultegra pedals! :)

thats a great price for ajy decent carbon pedal that is, see, too.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    105's a tad heavier that's all.