Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Wednesday wandering about lost things.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,706
edited December 2018 in The bottom bracket
Morning Slackers, back to work day 2. Mobiles have been banned within the workplace for a bit :( . So I may be quiet for a change. :cry: Dry and currently very dark so can't see if we've lost anything.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, cold here again, have Togo the The game butchers in louth this morning to pickup two brace of pheasants and a couple of rabbits, and then pop to the deli for some pickled walnuts ,well it would not be Christmas without the above

Oxoman, have they banned phones for any particular reason?
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,779
    Oxoman, have they banned phones for any particular reason?
    People looking at pictures of girls in work time?

Morning peeps. On train again, will pedal tomorrow. Lots of goings on, including persuading norky minion to stay until next year. This is good. Other things to plan include getting my skis serviced before middle of next month as the edges are a bit blunt.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,653 Lives Here
    Morning folks,
    Day off today, taking my mother to see the old man’s financial advisor to try and sort stuff out.
    Later is brewery tour then pub, I may need a drink by then.
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,046
    Work conference and Christmas party, I’m blessed
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    at work in the gym and its a billion degrees below zero so waiting for the space heater to warm the place up.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,706
    Someone took a video clip of something and sent to someone they shouldn't have. Caused a lot of brown stuff and embarrassment at a great height. Typical knee jerk reaction, punish the majority because of the minority.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,587
    Morning

Work up thinking it was Thursday. Knees hurt so drove to work, should've MFTU and cycled as it was dry and nice again.
    Might go running later, sure fire way to sort out sore knees.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    TLW1 wrote:
    Work conference and Christmas party, I’m blessed

Im reading "Work conference" as pre drinking?

Grey one here today bit chilly and damp but mainly grey couple of the office have were meant to fly out last night for the first Forumla E race, theres one rather confused looking and hungover person an no ones got the courage to remind him he shouldnt be here.

Anywho not much else occurring today spot of festive shopping an may investigate upgrading the home PC.

Also just seen Sky are pulling out from team Sky end of next year...
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,709
    Step83 wrote:
    Also just seen Sky are pulling out from team Sky end of next year...

This is good news.
    Whilst their domination and promotion of cycling is commendable, i'm getting bored of the monopoly.
    Maybe we shall get a more interesting TdF. (Who am I kidding?).

Today was meant to be the last of the excavation before cable laying/concreting but the weather put the kibosh on that.

Meh. That means that I will be resigned to actually doing some xmas shopping.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
    True itll be good to see an end to the sky steamroller effect, not sure if someone else will take up the reigns or they will fully disband, can see the 2020 season being interesting in terms of rider lineups now.
    Step83 wrote:
    True itll be good to see an end to the sky steamroller effect, not sure if someone else will take up the reigns or they will fully disband, can see the 2020 season being interesting in terms of rider lineups now.

There could be certain individuals in the bus who may be considering getting a new contract with another team now, especially say potential and current team leaders who have the leverage (Grunt Thomas?).
    I could imagine that will have an effect on next season, never mind 2020.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,954
    Pinno wrote:
    This is good news.
    Good news? Removal of a major source of funding for pro cycling is good for the sport? Let me ponder that.

Today will be mainly an afternoon and evening of pre Christmas meet up with friends for drinks and eats. This is the first of my non working (as in not paid for) days until 2nd week of January. So there, desk jockeys.
    orraloon wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    This is good news.
    Good news? Removal of a major source of funding for pro cycling is good for the sport? Let me ponder that.

SKY is a double edge.

On the one hand money is ploughed into certain sports (but this is not simply an altruistic act).
    On the other hand football, Champions League coverage* and cricket are no longer on terrestrial TV.

One could argue that the satellite companies promote the Premier League to a point where it succeeds the national interest. All that hype, all that money, all those big wages and big transfer fees.
    Is that to the detriment of National football and is that at the detriment of the lower league teams? The financial jump a club has to make when gaining promotion to the Premier League is so big and so risky due to the massive disparity between the two leagues. The former being fuelled by huge TV revenues.

*Yes I know that's currently in BT's control.

British Cycling is in a much better position than it was in say 1998 (the year they completed the Manchester velodrome and the year the Cycling academy was established). They receive high revenues in Lottery Funding/British Olympic Committee but it is a fragile financial premise to eternally rely on a commercial revenue stream.

"Removal of a major source of funding for pro cycling" - is a rather simplistic statement and the suggestion is that I do not care about a loss of funding in the UK for Pro Cycling. ?
    So will they change their name to 'Team -' after SKY pull out?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Brexit should be through by then. Perhaps they will then be Team Tinned Mince.
    i reckon we should all chip in a fiver and take over the sponsorship and call it Team Stolen Threads

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    Team Kicking Off.
    Team luvely jubblies.
    Team Pineapple.
    Team NCP
    Team Wonga
    Team Tree Shouters
    Team 'Loons
    Team Munch bunch
    Team Cider Press
    Team Old Banger parts

Christ i'm bored.
    Pinno wrote:
    Team Pineapple.
    Team NCP
    Team Wonga
    Team Tree Shouters
    Team 'Loons
    Team Munch bunch
    Team Cider Press
    Team Old Banger parts

Christ i'm bored.
    You missed me I think.
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Brexit should be through by then. Perhaps they will then be Team Tinned Mince.
    Team PIE would at least rhyme with their old name.
  • Afternoon All
    I can confirm that the prevailing mood here is one of ennui. Offices festooned with decorations and I've never seen so many glum faces. Tossers.
    Whiling away the afternoon, cheerio.
    Ecrasez l’infame
    Pinno wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

There could be certain individuals in the bus who may be considering getting a new contract with another team now, especially say potential and current team leaders who have the leverage (Grunt Thomas?).
    I could imagine that will have an effect on next season, never mind 2020.

Very true I doubt many riders would want to be in the potential situation end of season where the whole team are scrambling for possible places with other teams, be far easier to do that now when in theory less would be doing it.
    Either way 2019/20 are going to be interesting seasons especially if no new (well funded) backer can be found.

In other news Bahrain Merida have partnered with McLaren, so we can await some gold merida partnered McLaren branded bike in the new future.
    sitting in a car park.

actually quite happy in the fact that the burd in the blingy hire purchase range rover i'm blocking in is someone i know from many years ago who is far too overly fond of herself with a massive sense of self importance.

i may take my time collecting bambino today just to annoy her more.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • big_harvbig_harv Posts: 512
    sitting in a car park.

actually quite happy in the fact that the burd in the blingy hire purchase range rover i'm blocking in is someone i know from many years ago who is far too overly fond of herself with a massive sense of self importance.

It isn't pink is it? Saw one yesterday with a reg plate including "PNK". Astonishing.
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Rear derailleur cable snapped. Riding around in 34/11, which would be around the ratio I'd choose for my commute. Tough on my knees though with the stop start.

Otherwise, Christmas wine arrived. I have buried the new champagne deep. I discovered I have enough champagne to ride out any brexit turmoil, and have brought the oldest bottles to the surface. I also have plenty of Jurançon and sauternes. A case or so of good claret, less than a handful of red burgundy, and I've drunk all my Rhones. Not enough port. Restocked with the red and white table wines I like to drink.
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Team Pineapple.
    Team NCP
    Team Wonga
    Team Tree Shouters
    Team 'Loons
    Team Munch bunch
    Team Cider Press
    Team Old Banger parts

Christ i'm bored.
    You missed me I think.

3rd one down.
    sitting in a car park.

Why don't you ask her if she would like to do some dogging in the back of the RR?
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Team Pineapple.
    Team NCP
    Team Wonga
    Team Tree Shouters
    Team 'Loons
    Team Munch bunch
    Team Cider Press
    Team Old Banger parts

Christ i'm bored.
    You missed me I think.

3rd one down.

Am I munch bunch?
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Team Pineapple.
    Team NCP
    Team Wonga
    Team Tree Shouters
    Team 'Loons
    Team Munch bunch
    Team Cider Press
    Team Old Banger parts

Christ i'm bored.
    You missed me I think.

3rd one down.

Am I munch bunch?

Yep :D
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Team Pineapple.
    Team NCP
    Team Wonga
    Team Tree Shouters
    Team 'Loons
    Team Munch bunch
    Team Cider Press
    Team Old Banger parts

Christ i'm bored.
    You missed me I think.

3rd one down.
    Far too polite for you - what's wrong?