Club CX races: 35mm tires ? actual vs theoretical size ?

ridgeway_swiss
ridgeway_swiss Posts: 146
edited November 2018 in Cyclocross
Hi,

We have a club race close by this Sat and i was going to go down and watch and then i thought, why watch ???? why not get muddy and have some fun ?

Any way on reading the details it mentions a 33mm max tire size (UCI i guess) and as i run 35mm tires it seemed not worth buying more new tires just for that. So my question is if the rule relates to the actual or theoretical tire width ? my 35mm tires vernier up as 33mm !!! (side wall to side wall) but i guess there's ambiguity in where/how to measure as well...

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nobody will care and nobody will check anyway. If it's a club-level event, you will probably see riders there on MTBs as well - all with tyres a lot wider than 33mm...
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Yup, all sorts being raced at club/local league level.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What the others said.

The rule applies to width as measured on the rim; in UCI races the commissaires actually have a gauge to check them. However the rule doesn't apply at league races (to avoid creating a barrier to entry, particularly for riders who might want to try CX out on MTBs), and isn't even checked/enforced at National level except for the elite men's/women's races.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • That's what i had hoped but i know that rules is rules here and the love of the UCI is real strong.......

I'll email the event organiser just to be sure, they'll probably laugh at my daft question.

Ps. measured up the tires and they come in at 33.20mm, they're about 50mm with my fat arse on the bike though :lol:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    That's what i had hoped but i know that rules is rules here and the love of the UCI is real strong.......
    You need to go to the BC rules, which supercede UCI regs here:
    13 EQUIPMENT
    13.1 Other than under the provisions of 13.2, races shall be open to any type of bike without restriction, with the exception that all non-standard wheels must meet UCI regulations.
    13.2 National Championship and National Trophy races are restricted to cyclo-cross bicycles only, as defined by the regulations of the UCI
    The bit about non-standard wheels is almost certainly irrelevant to you; it effectively says that deep section wheels have to be strength tested and type-approved (anything with normal shallow section alloy rims is fine).
    Pannier, 120rpm.