Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Fireworks Friday.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,424
edited November 2018 in The bottom bracket
Morning All, work beckons shortly and severe case of CBA after late night so going in motor. Left bike for Mrs,s to trip over, oops fireworks later in more ways than one. Bloody frigid outside so will be scraping shortly. Last night's sub zero CX ride was enjoyable but suspect pushed myself to far on a work night, OH well. Enjoy the wkends fireworks if that's your thing.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• tlw1tlw1 Posts: 19,654
    Off today but can’t sleep :(

Arranged for a run with the barman that served me ale all night at 7.15, should be fun. Then off to Manchester to see my grandma and the Raphael shop
  • On a plane waiting to fly home. Very windy day so going to be “fun”.
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,358
    Morning , bloody cold here as well, out shopping for Christmas, I know it’s only November but she said let’s get it done early this year, have a good day
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,275
    Morning

Wobbled into work on the bike today taking the flattest and less likely to be icy route. Leg still isn't right.

We went and watched the fireworks/arson last night which was nice.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,934
    Very frosty and sunny here. Trying to work out if it's time to hand my notice in or I'm just about to get a big promotion... in the meantime, yawn.
    This was posted in the commuter bargains thread: viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12670609&start=15840#p20441131
    Might be useful if someone's after some nearly mid depth racing wheels...
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,544
    Dropped truck off for service. Garage is about 7 miles away by commuter rat run route or 15km by pleasant pootle route. However, things frozen solid here this morning so nah, got missus to collect me in t'car. Would have been near enough zero enjoyment on bike and life's too short...

So a day of pottering domestically beckons. Might go Fishboting if can be ar5ed.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 41,945
    This was posted in the commuter bargains thread: viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12670609&start=15840#p20441131
    Might be useful if someone's after some nearly mid depth racing wheels...

Nothing from TLW. Not even after all the sage, practical advice on the previous occasion when he mentioned it. You can lead a man to water..err, sorry beer but... :roll:

Who scrapes ice?!
    Take a kettle. Fill it halfway and bring to the boil.
    Add cold water to the brim and pour all over your windows. Ta da.

Been doing this since my dad showed me in the early eighties and never cracked window.

Not frosty here today. Very sunny. Was hail and all sorts last night. The manifestation of a scrap with the cat on Wednesday night meant he was in full protest mode. At 2.30 am, he was all over our bed, back and forth relentlessly trying to get our attention until I decided I was going to get up, have a quick piddle, check his bowls, proffer a meaty stick, see if he wanted out but he declined even to follow me downstairs. I went anyway and made sure he had water and food. Went to the bathroom and upon my exit, he decided to try and chew my bare right foot off. So I put him out. In fact, he even tried to bite my hand when I picked him up. I think he knew what was coming. That was Wednesday night/Thursday morning.
    So last night he wanted to go out in the rain and hail at 12.30am having slept most of the day.
    After much failed negotiation, I decided I wasn't leaving the door in the kitchen slightly open for him to come and go as he pleases as it was cold and draughty and just shut it. That gave him the option of the garage or the conservatory or wherever the hell he wanted. I was passed caring.

Much sucking up to me this morning from furry britches after he was let in.

Business in the sticks and business in the urban bit to do. Well, 'urban' is one word for it.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • You think we give a censored about your cat that much?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,089
    You think we give a shoot about your cat that much?

Indeed, for example my dog was in a mood with me the other day as I only took her for a short walk, I say mood, she just ignored me for five minutes then came back over wanting a fuss. Far less hassle than a cat in that respect.

Anyway frosty start and now rather sunny, some annoying toothache as well has started so trying to solve it with painkillers for now.
    Pub later as they have some new local ales to sample.
  • That reminds me, we're on a pub outing tonight :P
    Advocate of disc brakes.
    Step83 wrote:
    she just ignored me for five minutes then came back over wanting a fuss. Far less hassle than a cat in that respect.
    I thought cats were supposed to be less hassle? You just fed and watered them and the antisocial things kept themselves amused?
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,089
    Step83 wrote:
    she just ignored me for five minutes then came back over wanting a fuss. Far less hassle than a cat in that respect.
    I thought cats were supposed to be less hassle? You just fed and watered them and the antisocial things kept themselves amused?

Pinno has a high maintenance cat, case in point, it was wandering all over them in the night, dog just sleeps in her bed under the stairs, also found out if you put a calming wrap thing on her she doesnt give a censored about fireworks.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 45,977
    Thread title reminds me I have to do another Dad's taxi job for Stropteen tonight to take her to some fireworks display. The recent request to buy her a car suddenly seems like not a bad idea...

Chilly ride in which woke me up temporarily. Just need to delegate my way through this afternoon then it's cider time - once I've done taxi duty :roll:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
    Step83 wrote:

They are not anti-social as many presume, after all, they put up with us. They are a social.

"Asociality refers to the lack of motivation to engage in social interaction, or a preference for solitary activities. Developmental psychologists use the synonyms nonsocial, unsocial, and social uninterest."

The latter is not quite true of cats either. Or the expression "Curiosity killed the cat" would not exist and if ever I am pottering about the garden or fixing bangers, he seeks my company.

Do you think I care about the fact that you don't care?
    Sungod would almost definitely think otherwise and seen as he has had direct communication with the legendary Tabby, may hold an alternative view.

Speaking of which, where the heck is he? Victim of a Tragic lab experiment?
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,566
    Pinno wrote:
    Who scrapes ice?!
    Take a kettle. Fill it halfway and bring to the boil.
    Add cold water to the brim and pour all over your windows. Ta da.

Been doing this since my dad showed me in the early eighties and never cracked window.

No scraping for me either. I use a watering can, and use water about the same temp as me.

My car is poorly, so it's in at the garage having a fix. A call from them said that the coil pack has failed and a replacement will be £118. This is quite a relief, I was expecting an ECU fault, which is usually around £300 for a rebuild and all the messing about to get it off and back on again. It'll be nice to have a car that goes again after a week of spluttering.

The older I get, the better I was.

• slowmartslowmart Posts: 4,109
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Thread title reminds me I have to do another Dad's taxi job for Stropteen tonight to take her to some fireworks display. The recent request to buy her a car suddenly seems like not a bad idea...

Chilly ride in which woke me up temporarily. Just need to delegate my way through this afternoon then it's cider time - once I've done taxi duty :roll:

We bought our daughter her first car which ensured sooo much free time which didn’t involve driving her and her censored of a boyfriend around. I could have danced a gig of joy after she passed her test after the third attempt

Of course you just move the conversation on.. so babe those tyres don’t look legal, blank expression and then words which haunt me still, oh is that why I keep skidding dad? Wife looks at me, I try hard to suspend judgment and focus on the outcome of new tyres ....yes censored here ends up paying for new tyres and while the tyres are being fitted the garage phones me to say the brakes are shagged as well. Early Xmas present then.

Moving house today and relocating up north, if Lancashire is up north.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,314 Lives Here
    TLW1 wrote:
    Then off to Manchester to see my grandma and the Raphael shop
    You buying a renaissance painting?
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,623
    Pinno wrote:

Do you think I care about the fact that you don't care?
    Sungod would almost definitely think otherwise and seen as he has had direct communication with the legendary Tabby, may hold an alternative view.

Speaking of which, where the heck is he? Victim of a Tragic lab experiment?
    it felt tragic earlier when i stabbed myself in the thumb with something pointy, this was in lab

i cared about the cat

we adopted a stray, sadly a tough life left him with fiv and after a nasty infection he seems to have used up at least 8.9 lives, not a well pussycat now, but constant pampering from mrs s and he seems happy
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
    Slowmart wrote:
    Moving house today and relocating up north, if Lancashire is up north.
    I guess it depends where you are moving from.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Then off to Manchester to see my grandma and the Raphael shop
    You buying a renaissance painting?

He isn't but he'll pay just as much.
    sungod wrote:
    we adopted a stray, sadly a tough life left him with fiv and after a nasty infection he seems to have used up at least 8.9 lives, not a well pussycat now, but constant pampering from mrs s and he seems happy

Respect.

He will be a grateful little cat.

We found* a petrified kitten of no more than 8 weeks old some years ago in the middle of the field next to our house! Broken pelvis and a crushed tail.

*Our very maternal Spaniel did.

The tail was amputated and the pelvis healed but she was left with pneumonia. She coughed and spluttered her way through her first 18 months. We were told by the vet that she was too weak to survive the spaying operation and despite her frailties became pregnant at 2 years old.
    Not long after this was confirmed, suddenly mother nature kicked in and the coughing and spluttering stopped. She was a very healthy cat after that and had 2 fat little healthy kittens. Lived to 16.
    You never met such a grateful animal. Apart from the constant stream of live animals presented to us, she purred the moment you picked her up, without fail.

RIP 'Midnight'.
    Where tf is Hoppy?
    Poor show.
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,010
    Pinno wrote:
    Where tf is Hoppy?
    Poor show.
    Grumpy. :twisted:
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 15,598
    Pinno wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Respect.

We found* a petrified kitten of no more than 8 weeks old some years ago in the middle of the field next to our house! Broken pelvis and a crushed tail.

The tail was amputated and the pelvis healed but she was left with pneumonia. She coughed and spluttered her way through her first 18 months. We were told by the vet that she was too weak to survive the spaying operation and despite her frailties became pregnant at 2 years old.
    Not long after this was confirmed, suddenly mother nature kicked in and the coughing and spluttering stopped. She was a very healthy cat after that and had 2 fat little healthy kittens. Lived to 16.
    You never met such a grateful animal. Apart from the constant stream of live animals presented to us, she purred the moment you picked her up, without fail.

RIP 'Midnight'.

The first cat that we had was a stray. The second belonged to a family with 2 young kids across the road but was better treated at our house and stayed.
    One of the cats from around the corner now appears regular as clockwork when we open the blinds in the morning, comes in, has breakfast and then curls up for a kip. He is also called Midnight. Cat sharing.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,544
    I just need to find the cat which keeps cr4pping in places we are likely to step, on the lawn, outside the garage door, right where I step out of vehicle when parked, etc etc. Some remedial education will follow.

Meantime, the stray which adopted us and lived in an outhouse for past 7 years has bu66ered off somewhere down the street, guess us being away for 3+ weeks and her not being treated to occasional biscuits sped the change. Get the occasional return visit and the cat looks fat, she's rather good at begging and obviously has found a soft mark.
  • crumbschiefcrumbschief Posts: 3,400
    Pinno wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Respect.

RIP 'Midnight'.

Oh Pinno you have touched me again.

Just today i was reading about a cat called Mr Midnight,what a funny place this is.
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Where tf is Hoppy?
    Poor show.

Woman/women problems?
    Spill the beans. Talk to Uncle Pinno. Uncle Stevo, Uncle Bally, Unc...
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 45,977
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Where tf is Hoppy?
    Poor show.
    I have the answer for you Hoppy - advertise :)

097_04232014_08-43.jpg

You could get good money for her in 'prestige and executive'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]