Brake lever.. How Stiff should it be

blackstar500
blackstar500 Posts: 139
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Hello All

I have just installed the new 105 r7020 hydraulic brake lever and bled the system.. I was just wandering how stiff or hard should the lever feel.. In my head I am thinking it should be rock solid or is that a misconception? This is my first hydraulic brake system

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    If I squeeze hard when stationary my brake lever will touch my handle bars. Out on the road I can stand my bike on its nose way before that. I have no concern with the lever travel.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It should not be rock solid. It shouldn't even be particularly firm. Just not squidgy, or with excessive travel.

If you have a car, you have hydraulic brakes. Same thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I prefer my brakes with just a little travel but its really personal preference and that you are most comfortable riding.
    Just take it out for a spin (in safe conditions) and see if you like it or want to tweak it.
  • Well it travels all the way but the bite is strong ... Just thought that with a fluid system .. the lever should be a bit tough to push with a few fingers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Well it travels all the way but the bite is strong ... Just thought that with a fluid system .. the lever should be a bit tough to push with a few fingers

I use one finger on my mountain bikes. If it reached I could use my little finger without straining it in the least.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools