Tube not inflating evenly

Maglia_Rosa
Maglia_Rosa Posts: 72
edited October 2018 in Workshop
I’ve had an issue with several Conti Race 28 tubes not inflating evenly where they balloon up in some sections and hardly inflate in others. I ordered two then when I had a puncture on a club run about 3 weeks ago used one of the Conti’s and noticed that my tyre had a bump in it so I took it out and and tried again but same thing. Got home and inspected tyre and rim and replaced rim tape then refitted and exact same thing. Tried another Conti tube and that one exploded after only putting in about 30psi. I inflated the first tube outside the wheel and noticed the uneven inflation. Contacted Wiggle and they sent me out 2 more and they’re both exactly the same. Is it just me or is this a faulty batch?

Having difficulty uploading a picture to illustrate the issue.

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/TeSb

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've had a lot of tubes like that but theyve never caused any problems inside the tyres.

Don't forget that the expansion is restricted by the tyre so the narrow bit will inflate as well.

If you had a bump in the tyre I think it's more likely that you folded the tube over when installing it.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    perfectly normal, tubes are not intended to be inflated outside a tyre, inside a tyre the tube will conform to the rim/tyre and be the normal shape all way around

a tyre with a bump is due to things like...
    tyre not being fitted to the rim correctly
    tube trapped between tyre bead and rim
    rim and or tyre being faulty/damaged
    ...it is not due to the tube inflating unevenly

for a tube to explode it must be released from the tyre/rim, for that to happen the reasons for that are as above plus a few extra such as...
    rim tape damaged or not fitted correctly or too narrow
    spoke poking into rim tape

from what you describe, i'd guess you are trapping the tube between rim and tyre bead
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • The second one is even worse and when inside the tyre you can feel one part of the tyre inflated and the other part completely flat. I’ve changed loads of tubes but never experienced this.

https://imgur.com/a/17NrYlX
  • cougie
    What happens if you keep pumping ?
  • cougie wrote:
    What happens if you keep pumping ?

One of them I inflated inside the tyre which exploded at around 30psi
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The second one is even worse and when inside the tyre you can feel one part of the tyre inflated and the other part completely flat. I’ve changed loads of tubes but never experienced this.

https://imgur.com/a/17NrYlX

Can't see that as being normal. There must be some significant differences in the wall thickness of the tube to allow that behavior. More likely to be a duff batch from Continental.

I would contact Wiggle again and send them your pics along with the history of your problems.

Maybe ask them to replace with another brand of equivalent value to see how they perform
  • Conti tubes are manure, use Spesh with one piece valves, much better IMO.
  • Conti tubes are manure, use Spesh with one piece valves, much better IMO.

Thanks, I’ve already contacted Wiggle and I’ll ask them to replace them with Spesh ones this time. I’ve used them in the past and never had issues. Don’t know why I went with Conti in the first place tbh.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Conti tubes are manure, use Spesh with one piece valves, much better IMO.

Well they're not actually but clearly this batch are very strange indeed. Well done Wiggle also.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Much like your posts, clown. Nothing at all wrong with Conti stuff, but it doesn’t surprise me to hear that you think there is...
  • cougie
    Can't recall any problems with conti tubes
  • cougie wrote:
    Try using them ( I know that involves actually riding a bike, on the actual road, which seems to be a crime on here). But that’s how it is. I’ve used all sorts of tubes, over many years, and many thousands of miles. Good old experience, has lead me to the conclusions I reach, I know it’s a concept beyond the comprehension of most ( but not all ) of the ‘2012’ brigade on here, but hey ho. If anyone wants to do it the hard way ( ignore the posters with the miles under their belts ) in favour of the ( obviously relatively) know little types, with the shouty ( Internet ) voices. That’s up to them. C’est la vie, vive la difference, but really?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    used them for years, zero problem
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    cougie wrote:
    Try using them ( I know that involves actually riding a bike, on the actual road, which seems to be a crime on here). But that’s how it is. I’ve used all sorts of tubes, over many years, and many thousands of miles. Good old experience, has lead me to the conclusions I reach, I know it’s a concept beyond the comprehension of most ( but not all ) of the ‘2012’ brigade on here, but hey ho. If anyone wants to do it the hard way ( ignore the posters with the miles under their belts ) in favour of the ( obviously relatively) know little types, with the shouty ( Internet ) voices. That’s up to them. C’est la vie, vive la difference, but really?
    At your cadence and speed I guess you use the ones filled with cement.
  • imposter2.0
    cougie wrote:

Anyone who doesn’t agree with milemuncher/bikergrovish/bottom briquettes/killerclown/racing roadkill/goatever/etc has only been riding for six years. That’s how full of Shiite this sanctimonious, deluded halfwit is...
  • cougie
    cougie wrote:

I've been riding for decades. I even can ride hills ! You should try them one day - you get a great view Then again the change in altitude might give you mountain sickness

No problems with conti inner tubes but I use good tyres so I don't get that many 'p' words..
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Unbelievable :roll: :roll: Do you really believe this garbage or just spout it for effect?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • So can I ask where people think spesh tubes and tyres are made.

As they don't have their own tyre plant.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    PaulLCFC wrote:
    So can I ask where people think spesh tubes and tyres are made.

I think we can guess. :wink:

Tubes are tubes. There's one on here.
  • imposter2.0
    PaulLCFC wrote:
    So can I ask where people think spesh tubes and tyres are made.

Kenda for the tubes, most likely..
  • I sent Wiggle the images illustrating the problem and they agreed that it wasn’t normal and asked me to dispose of the faulty Conti tubes. I’ve had a refund as I’ve already bought some new ones from my lbs.