Fat Britain - getting bigger..

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    bompington wrote:
    Recommendation for the "really, they should just be more disciplined like me" brigade:

read The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt.

A lot of evidence and explanation to show that far less of our decisions are made from pure rationality than we like to think.
    Yes, including you and me.

I'm a bit amazed at how many people here - most of whom, I suspect, would identify as far less right wing than me - are happy to assume that the things that tend to typify poor people's behaviour are due to their being intellectually and/or morally defective.

I think I started the bit about poorer people and to be clear, I'm definitely not saying poor people are too stupid to eat healthily. The prevalence of obesity (and smoking) is higher in low income families and I was saying it's more than just about money. Public health campaigns are about education/knowledge and social/cultural change. To suggest a lack of knowledge about nutrition isn't to say they have a low level of education or are mentally deficient
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    We're all going to Rotherham...

Should be a Macc Lads song title that.

I believe that it’s Sweaty Betty’s home Town
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    bompington wrote:
    Recommendation for the "really, they should just be more disciplined like me" brigade:

A lot of evidence and explanation to show that far less of our decisions are made from pure rationality than we like to think.

I'm a bit amazed at how many people here - most of whom, I suspect, would identify as far less right wing than me - are happy to assume that the things that tend to typify poor people's behaviour are due to their being intellectually and/or morally defective.

There are lots of rich fat people too ...

There are just lots of fat people.

I could do with reducing the middle a bit - I'm not poor (nor rich) and not uneducated. I ride a fair bit but I'm easily tempted by cake. I will do it ... next week ....

and that's someone who wants to lose the weight so he can ride up hills faster ... what hope those who see little benefit to losing weight.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    rjsterry wrote:

No I don't agree that 'self control' - whatever the hell that is - is the main problem. You are approaching this as though people make a rational decision to smoke or eat badly. The craving for nicotine, alcohol, sugar or any other drug is not rational.

On an individual level I think self control or self discipline is the answer. If I want to lose weight I need to deny myself certain things that I like, I need to stop myself eating at certain times when I was.

On a societal level though saying we all need to show greater self control gets us nowhere. I don't know what the solution is without restricting what people eat. Education may he a part of that but I suspect most overweight people are in sufficient possession of the facts - it's less controversial to suggest education though than pricing people out of eating x or y or actually limiting what ingredients go in our food.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Price em out of eating. Re-reading the original BBC article, the main beef was about too many takeaways. Cheeky cunt. And some of them proudly trade with 0 or 1 on the council scale. Barstools.
    Too many fat bar sets around. Price it to booooogery. That won’t get a Labour guvmit in.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Slowbike wrote:
    bompington wrote:

There are lots of rich fat people too ...

There are just lots of fat people.

I could do with reducing the middle a bit - I'm not poor (nor rich) and not uneducated. I ride a fair bit but I'm easily tempted by cake. I will do it ... next week ....

and that's someone who wants to lose the weight so he can ride up hills faster ... what hope those who see little benefit to losing weight.

I think that's it essentially, all people in the UK can get fat and maybe until the health problems about being overweight start coming home to roost like they did with smoking it just won't sink in with the majority. The damage caused by smoking must have been around for at least 100 years before the tide turned and (at least in the UK) the Government worked out it was probably cheaper and better for the health of the nation to undertake a massive drive to warn people of the dangers? Maybe the two graph lines of taxation income vs cost of dealing with smoking related health issues finally met? But then I don't see the same drive on alcohol - which has massive social as well as health implications (just ask the Police or frontline NHS workers) In the end it's about social acceptance or otherwise.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    edited October 2018
    Really it is fashionable to eat stuff, all the time, everywhere.

e.g.Take a mid-afternoon flight lasting no more than 90 minutes. Almost the entire plane load are ordering food and drink off the trolley having spent far eye-watering amounts in the terminal buying food and drink before they board. At destination they will recover from their journey with a large evening meal at home or hotel. If you ain't eatin', you ain't livin'©.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Anyone else had the advert at the bottom of the page saying "are your jeans too tight? you're probably eating/drinking too much" :mrgreen:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Around my area, "normal" shops are closing down and in their place are...takeaways and Undertakers. I wonder if there's a correlation.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    Around my area, "normal" shops are closing down and in their place are...takeaways and Undertakers. I wonder if there's a correlation.
    It’s just the new supply chain.
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Fat Bastard sung to Blockbuster brings a few laughs
    PTP winner 2015.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,505
    stanislav wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Classic. Up there with The Monkees cover 'Eh up we're the Macc Lads'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    stanislav wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Back on tour at the moment,got tickets for the upcoming Newcastle gig. Catch them while you can before pc brigade try to ban their ilk. :lol:
    PTP winner 2015.
  • robert88
    stanislav wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    stanislav wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Back on tour at the moment,got tickets for the upcoming Newcastle gig. Catch them while you can before pc brigade try to ban their ilk. :lol:

Why is it un-PC? Or should that be PInc?

Anyway, get a load of this:

home.jpg

Yeeuck..
  • Stevo_666
    stanislav wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    stanislav wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'm seeing them next month in Islington. Surprised they weren't banned in the 90's :)

Maybe the PC brigade should Google some of their songs...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Social realism mate. Don't let it worry you. Sh1t happens.
    Here we come, Muttley, Nobby, Stez Styx
    We drink Bollington's bitter, and we smoke No6
    Eh up! We're the Macc Lads, we're not fucking queer
    We like pulling fit crack and supping lots of beer

Fucking Gudnt!
    Fucking Gudnt!
    Fucking Gudnt!
    Fucking Gudnt!

Eh up! We're the Macc Lads, we go down the pub
    When the ale's down our necks, we go and get some grub
    We like chips 'n' gravy, nowt'll take its place
    Don't you fuck with the Macc Lads
    Or we'll arrange your fucking face

Here we come, feeling fucking sore
    Got us money last Friday and pissed it up the wall
    Eh up! We're the Macc Lads, we're not fucking queer
    Don't you fuck with the Macc Lads
    Or we'll arrange your fucking face
  • I don’t think the Macc Lads were banned per se, it was just that most venues wouldn’t have them. Or have them back.
    Dunno why...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Eh up! We're the Macc Lads, we're not ******* queer

******* Gudnt!
    ******* Gudnt!
    ******* Gudnt!
    ******* Gudnt!

Don't you fark with the Macc Lads
    Or we'll arrange your ******* face

Here we come, feeling ******* sore
    I see you took my tip and googled them :wink:
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

******* Gudnt!
    ******* Gudnt!
    ******* Gudnt!
    ******* Gudnt!

Here we come, feeling ******* sore
    I see you took my tip and googled them :wink:

:wink:
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I was born and bred in Rotherham but moved to Sheffield in 1992(aged 24).I had a walk around Rotherham Town centre a couple of years ago after not being there for almost 25 years.I couldn't believe the amount of "mobility" scooters with young(ish) fat people on them :| Not surprised by the article at all :roll:
    RE the MaccLads.Saw them loads back in the 80s/90s.They did "play" the Arts Centre Assembly rooms in Rotherham back in 86(IIRC) but the gig was stopped after they let off all the foam fire extinguishers :lol::lol: Their reputation did preceded them back then :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Sniper68 wrote:
    RE the MaccLads.Saw them loads back in the 80s/90s.They did "play" the Arts Centre Assembly rooms in Rotherham back in 86(IIRC) but the gig was stopped after they let off all the foam fire extinguishers :lol::lol: Their reputation did preceded them back then :lol:
    Sounds like Sweatty Betty fits the Rotherham profile :D
    https://youtu.be/F-n_eqW1qoM
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    drlodge wrote:
    Circular economy and all that.
  • robert88
    drlodge wrote:
    Circular economy and all that.

We are going all global.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5-s62lO1HbUbQo2BHiaWktUMy9C6GMdGvBjq6JNfuH4XMKkAF
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Sniper68 wrote:
    I was born and bred in Rotherham but moved to Sheffield in 1992(aged 24).I had a walk around Rotherham Town centre a couple of years ago after not being there for almost 25 years.I couldn't believe the amount of "mobility" scooters with young(ish) fat people on them :| Not surprised by the article at all :roll:

Mobility scooters used to be the preserve of the elderly and disabled who had genuine difficulty in getting about. Now they are the transport of choice for those who can't be arsed to walk.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:

Mobility scooters used to be the preserve of the elderly and disabled who had genuine difficulty in getting about. Now they are the transport of choice for those who can't be arsed to walk.
    I'm inclined to agree but...
    Is it that much different to driving a Chelsea tractor on a trip around the corner?
    Arguably it's just cheap transport.
    But I do think if you watch Wall-e, it's surprising how close the personal mobility aspect is to the truth.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    morstar wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:

Is it that much different to driving a Chelsea tractor on a trip around the corner?

Is one woeful transport choice a justification for another? And, it isn't cheap transport. Mobility scooters cost a fortune compared to walking which costs next to nothing.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Rolf F wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:

Is one woeful transport choice a justification for another? And, it isn't cheap transport. Mobility scooters cost a fortune compared to walking which costs next to nothing.
    Agreed that two wrongs don't make a right. But I'd wager as a society the affluent owner of a range rover who is equally lazy to their poorer equivalent is less likely to be judged as harshly.
    Also, I think for some of these people, the mobility scooter is becoming their main transportation. It's not in addition to a car. It is their equivalent of a car. Not as versatile but has the advantage for the lazy that when you get to your destination, you don't need to park it and get off.
    Honestly, how many people have driven a mile to their local shops in the car? I have and it's only a 15 minute walk. If the scooter is my main form of transport, how is that mile journey any worse than the car trip.
    Doesn't change the fact it's lazy. But maybe need to be careful about judging.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    morstar wrote:
    Honestly, how many people have driven a mile to their local shops in the car? I have and it's only a 15 minute walk. If the scooter is my main form of transport, how is that mile journey any worse than the car trip.
    Doesn't change the fact it's lazy. But maybe need to be careful about judging.
    seemingly all to often we have to pop out for milk. It's just over a mile each way. I've never walked it (it's not a particularly pleasant walk) but I do aim to ride it if I have time - fact is - it's still quicker to jump in the car - there's no traffic or parking issues to be concerned with - it takes longer to ride there, plus I need to take a lock and then I have the "complication" of carrying my purchase(s) back. Add on to that , that it's usually when we're pressed for time in getting other jobs done.

Of course jumping in the car is lazy - but there could be a very good reason for doing it (or I could just be being lazy - having already ridden long and/or hard that day and not wanting to do any more)
  • robert88
    I believe a certain world famous golfer uses the golf buggy instead of walking.