Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Tuesday's late start

oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,864
edited October 2018 in The bottom bracket
Morning from Manc land, more brain stretching today on course hopefully beer tonight to dull the pain.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,921
    WFH - which I thought would mean a ride later has turned into mowing the lawns (probably with a head torch)

Mmmm - race bike wheels for £500? Wife has offered to get me some for my birthday next month.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,016
    Morning, very damp here lots of leafy things stuck to the floor too.

TLW, lots of choices, clinchers, tubeless or tubular?
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    tlw1 wrote:
    WFH - which I thought would mean a ride later has turned into mowing the lawns (probably with a head torch)

Mmmm - race bike wheels for £500? Wife has offered to get me some for my birthday next month.

Tubular Carbonzone deep rim 60s. Light, work really well, look cool, lots left over in the budget for some nice tubs and some cheap ho 'n' blow.

As an aside, Hound walked, now having a late brekkie before starting to pack to go away. Grey outside so not missing much really.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,468 Lives Here
    Morning folks,
    In the car again today as delivering the invalid to work and then collecting her to deliver her to the dentist later. Good job really as the bike is still in bits as swapping tyres and refitting mudguards got extended into a bit more than that last night. Need to finish it and then visit the old dear tonight.
    You can't mow the lawns tonight TLW, the grass is too wet. ;-)
    Wheels would have to be tubeless surely. I'm going to have to build myself up another set of wheels shortly. Got the hubs, just need to decide on rims and spokes. No rush as I have to build the frame up yet. I quite like the funky offset rims I put on the Cotic. Really should use that bike more.
    Signed the offer to switch jobs this morning, less than two weeks of dealing with customers. Then it's my turn to be the customer and hopefully right a few wrongs by applying some thought. This probably means less time posting shite on here as I might actually be buy rather than cruising on autopilot.
    Is it time for lunch yet?
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,221
    'ning

sunny/hazy here, back to jersey weather

early bail i think
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 6,088
    Good news on the job switch V68. I assume you managed to get all/most of what you were asking for?
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    tlw1 wrote:

that might take a while, i'd use a lawn mower if I was you!

relatively unspectacular day here, it has finally stopped raining after about 4 days of seemingly constant rain no matter where I was (I did go to wales so I suppose I only have myself to blame!)

for the rest of the week i'm going to test the limits of "business casual" dress code, exciting times!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,013
    New job is a good thing. My current client have me on contract till the end of this year but are already making noises about "keeping" me for perhaps another year. They know I will only do that if I can WFH for 80 - 90% of the time, and apparently this is not seen as a problem. Win!

May have to adjust my attitude - have been trying to pi$$ off as many people as possible to ensure my contract is not extended on the current terms.

Meanwhile.... arrived back from work in midst of a downpour, so the leisurely stroll pre-dinner around the lake postponed, and drinks were had instead.
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
    veronese68 wrote:
    Morning folks,
    In the car again today as delivering the invalid to work and then collecting her to deliver her to the dentist later. Good job really as the bike is still in bits as swapping tyres and refitting mudguards got extended into a bit more than that last night. Need to finish it and then visit the old dear tonight.
    You can't mow the lawns tonight TLW, the grass is too wet. ;-)
    Wheels would have to be tubeless surely. I'm going to have to build myself up another set of wheels shortly. Got the hubs, just need to decide on rims and spokes. No rush as I have to build the frame up yet. I quite like the funky offset rims I put on the Cotic. Really should use that bike more.
    Signed the offer to switch jobs this morning, less than two weeks of dealing with customers. Then it's my turn to be the customer and hopefully right a few wrongs by applying some thought. This probably means less time posting shite on here as I might actually be buy rather than cruising on autopilot.
    Is it time for lunch yet?

congrats on the new role - hope all goes well.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,256
    tlw1 wrote:

Deep sections are not so versatile.

I presume you have 11 speed, so compatibility is no issue?

I have a set of Dura Ace c35's, they are sumptuous wheels - available as tubular or clinchers. Though they are really pure climbing wheels. When they die, I will go straight back out and buy another pair, I love them so much. Carbon wheels with aluminium braking tracks, so no need to buy Carbon brake pads.
    So, on that front I would opt for a more all round hoop - C40's or C50's. The C40's will TT, hill climb and sprint.
    Alternatively, Campag Eurus. Those hubs are so smooth. On the occasional club run, I can be free wheeling whilst others are pedalling. When somebody told me that before I bought them, I dismissed it as waffle but he was right. I have never had to true either wheel sets.

Jobs didid. Some more silly jobs to do but the sky is looking a little too dull for liking.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
    pinno wrote:

Yes they are. Especially disc braked ones. I ride them all year, all weathers. Maybe if you're 55kg wet through, you might get pushed about a bit in a heavy crosswind. However, a slightly cross tailwind and your wheels turn into actual sails, and you can pretend you're a pro, all souplesse and flat back and an apparently effortless 50 kph plus.

Whom whom whom whom whom whoooooossssh. That's the sound of me whomming past on my deep sections while you all trail in my wake on your noiseless box rims. :lol::wink:
    hopkinb wrote:
    pinno wrote:

Yes they are. Especially disc braked ones. I ride them all year, all weathers. Maybe if you're 55kg wet through, you might get pushed about a bit in a heavy crosswind. However, a slightly cross tailwind and your wheels turn into actual sails, and you can pretend you're a pro, all souplesse and flat back and an apparently effortless 50 kph plus.

Whom whom whom whom whom whoooooossssh. That's the sound of me whomming past on my deep sections while you all trail in my wake on your noiseless box rims. :lol::wink:

You are not in Scotland or hilly Shropshire so that means a) you don't get winds like we do and b) you don't really have hills in London. And yes, I weigh 64kg's.
    Besides, deep sections for £500?! What sort of cheap junk do you ride?
    hopkinb wrote:
    pinno wrote:

H3 forgot to add the sound of giggling as people look at Pinno's bike with its square wheels as compared to H3's rocking deep rim machine.

"Oh, look, that funny man is riding a bicycle from the 1970s"

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    Good point, my wheels weren't 500 quid, though they weren't a huge amount more. They weigh 1600g the pair. They climb fine. What's a few hundred grams, even a rotating few hundred grams on a 100kg bike, rider, clothes, bottles etc package? I've ridden them in 50 mph gusts. Above that and im not going out on box rims either.

Whom. Whoosh. Maybe not for 500 notes though.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 44,054
    pinno wrote:
    And yes, I weigh 64kg's.
    But is that 64kg wet through?

I find baggy clothing does a good job when there's a tail wind. Not that there was one today and I felt slightly slowed down by last nights free plonk. The rest of today will be similar to this morning - i.e. dealing with idiots. At least I've got some food down me now to give me the energy.

Congrats on the new job V.
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
    My CL35's are 1380 grams. That's a hell of a lot of bang for your buck.

Here's an old, old photo of Yates and Thibault. From the 70's I think, riding square wheels.
    What planet are you on?

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F11dc7cb6-b84b-11e8-9605-b6ff09b482a1.jpg?crop=1485%2C835%2C7%2C81&resize=685

Dura Ace C40's for Pinot, here described in this ancient video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX0Ex27N3Y
    Hmm, maybe I should build the new wheels with carbon rims. The Open Pro's are going on the retro build as they are old style.
    pinno wrote:

Zero whomwhomwhom for your buck though. Which is very important for my vanity wheels. :D

I've never wished I had lighter wheels whilst gurning my way up one of London & the SE's many alpine climbs (some are as much as 2% for at least 400m). I have wished that I was lighter, fitter or had a lower gear available, I've even toyed with tossing a water bottle. But I've never thought of my wheels. Maybe that's my problem.
    hopkinb wrote:
    I've never wished I had lighter wheels whilst gurning my way up one of London & the SE's many alpine climbs (some are as much as 2% for at least 400m).
    Not even now you've witnessed the mighty Col du Hampton Hill, admittedly from the shelter of a car. The percentage isn't even measurable but it must climb a couple of feet over 400 yards.
    Whom whom whom whom whom whom whooooooooooooossssshhhh go the wheels as Pinno struggles to drag himself into the 1980s..............

Look how H3 speeds along, carefree in the knowledge that his deep rims are mega cool.

Whom whom whom whom whom whom whooooooooooooossssshhhh go the wheels.....................

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    edited October 2018
    pinno wrote:

Here's an old, old photo of Yates and Thibault. From the 70's I think, riding square wheels.
    What planet are you on?

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F11dc7cb6-b84b-11e8-9605-b6ff09b482a1.jpg?crop=1485%2C835%2C7%2C81&resize=685

Thibault is on 60s there. Not squares like yours.

Even bloke in the video said that people were going to start to move onto 60s for climbing.

Whom whom whom whom whom whom whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    veronese68 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    I've never wished I had lighter wheels whilst gurning my way up one of London & the SE's many alpine climbs (some are as much as 2% for at least 400m).
    Not even now you've witnessed the mighty Col du Hampton Hill, admittedly from the shelter of a car. The percentage isn't even measurable but it must climb a couple of feet over 400 yards.

Not even now. Though maybe I'll go and climb it when I get me some climbing wheels. Another one of those bucket list climbs to tick off. Alpe d'huez, Tourmalet, Ventoux, Balham Hill, and now Col du Hampton Hill.
    I'll pay you £6 if you Everest Col du Hampton.

£6 cash so you don't have to declare it on your tax return.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    Everest is what, 29,000 ft? Col de Hampton Hill is 2 feet. So that's 14,500 ascents, which is 5.8 million yards assuming 400 yards per ascent. Which is 3,295 miles. For 6 quid? Go on then. I'll put the tax-free loot towards some climbing wheels. I'll also be a mountain goat by the end of the challenge. Win win.
    pinno wrote:

What planet are you on?

Thibault is on 60s there. Not squares like yours.

Even bloke in the video said that people were going to start to move onto 60s for climbing.

Whom whom whom whom whom whom whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

Yer, Peanut's wheels look a lot like mine there. In fact, Peanut looks a lot like me in that picture. My daughter likes Peanut, she also likes me. Peanut and I have never been seen in the same room. I'll leave you to connect les dots...
    I know that hill. Christ, it's a monster.
    There's is/was a super curry house Windmill Road(?).
    PS. I cannot stand that whoom whoom whoom. What a frikkin racket. Can't hear the birds singing.
    hopkinb wrote:
    Everest is what, 29,000 ft? Col de Hampton Hill is 2 feet. So that's 14,500 ascents, which is 5.8 million yards assuming 400 yards per ascent. Which is 3,295 miles. For 6 quid? Go on then. I'll put the tax-free loot towards some climbing wheels. I'll also be a mountain goat by the end of the challenge. Win win.

you'd better film or strava it or we won't believe you've done it.

be a brilliant way to annoy the clubbies.

whom whom whom whom whoooooooossshhhh past your house 234,731 times non stop as some bloke Everests past your house.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    as an aside i am now sitting in a car park.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    as an aside i am now sitting in a car park.

I have little doubt that sitting in car parks so frequently, is doing you any good whatsoever.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,016
    Im with Pinno, they are not very versatile, I have a set of 66mm's great for decents an the flat but they are horrible to climb with and can be scary with cross winds.
    A mid section wheel is more an all round wheel to be honest. The deep sections are more those calm summer days where your not fussed on climbs just the blatting between coffee shops.

I picked up a set of DT Swiss Tricons about the same weight as Pinnos just no where near as fancy, but perfect for all round use. the 66's will be the fancy speedy summer wheels.