Equivalent of Bontrager RL wheels?

schemieradge
schemieradge Posts: 36
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, pretty new to road cycling (been commuting by bike for years though)... definitely don't know much about the pros and cons of different wheel sets.

I recently bought a 2nd hand Trek Domane 2.3 to take out on longish weekend cycles with a local club.
It is stock for the time (about 5 years old) apart from the wheels which were apparently an upgrade to Bontrager RLs.

I can't really find much out about these wheels since they don't seem to be available anymore.

What I'm trying to work out is are they that good that I wouldn't want to take them out during the winter and should get a winter set instead?
Or are they nothing special so I can happily use them all year round - this is weekend cycling only mind - have another bike to commute on.

What can you buy today that would be roughly equivalent to them?

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Bontrager RLs are a few years old now. They were classed as the second best in their range of non aero wheels. From memory the RRP was about £450. Don't think they were sold very much as an off the shelf product. They used to come stock with their higher end frames. For example, my old Trek Emonda SLR came with Bontrager RLs. I used them as my winter wheels but that was due to having over wheels available. I'd say continue to use them over the winter and then maybe in the summer buy a set of Hunt (or similar) if you think it necessary. (I also have the Hunt Aero wheels (not aero its just the name relating to the spokes) - anyway, in a blind test I doubt I could tell the difference. The Hunts are about £320 but look reasonably nice.
    Weight was about 1550 grams for the RLs so pretty reasonable. If you have the TLR version then I'd recommend using them over the winter and making the most of the fact that the rims are tubeless.
  • Magic - thanks for that info... exactly what I was looking for!